Used 2003 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Wouldn't buy again
By meganscar

2003 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I've had numerous problems with this vehicle. So far, I've had the flywheel replaced due to noises when the vehicle started(this was one month into ownership), the entire fan/blower system replaced (one year into ownership, power steering gear replaced and lower intake gasket replaced (2 1/2 years into ownership). Now that I am out of warranty, the fan system that was replaced does not work - again. This is not to mention that this V6 vehicle has no power or pickup. I would not recommend that anyone buy a Malibu.

Great Experience
By Bob

2003 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

We bought the Malibu new in September 2003. Actually we bought two (one basic and one LS), and have been very pleased. This review is based on our experience involving the basic Malibu after 59,000 miles. Mainly interstate driving, 20,000 miles per year. Using cruise control, I consistently average 30 MPG. New tires at 43,000 miles. Replaced front brakes at 56,000 miles, at a dealership cost of $127.90. Rear brakes still good shape. Oil changes every 3,000 miles. We are happy Malibu owners, and armed with hindsight, we would make the same purchase decision as we did in Septemer 2003.

Quiet and comfortable ride. Great acceleration on entrance ramps. Good CD/cassette/radio. Provides dependable transportation at a reasonable cost. We are pleased with the overall performance.

Sun visors were improved in later models to provide extenders.

Bad on brakes, power windows and fans
By Dave

2003 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

One thing after another. Front brakes and rotors. Tire sizes hard to find, never on sale like others. Driver side window loose. Blower motor resistor just went. Back of driver seat broke earlier. CD player does not eject fully anymore. Plus, the CDs get extremely hot after a short play time. Not the best on gas either. Just my opinion. Hard to resell.

Get what you pay for.

Alternate tire sizes. Better front seats. Improve the braking system.

2003 Chevy Malibu
By andrea soupos

2003 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

A very reliable car. Absolutely no problems with any part of it. Good quality for a reasonable price & 6 cylinder engine power important for highway driving.

Good sized trunk and exterior space.

Improve ash tray. Does not go in and out easily. Needs more cup holders, especially for passenger side of car.

Good Solid Drive
By Essexnj

2003 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

This has been a very solid and reliable car--my experience matches the high JD Power and strong CR ratings for this model year. Lots of interior room and luggage capacity. Fule mileage has been good, with over 30 mpg on highways with cruise control. Strong pickup, decent handling. Brake rotors were turned at around 25,000 miles, which seems normal to me for mostly local stop and go driving. Seating could be better for me on long drives (I'm 6'3" with long legs). All in all, I was pleased enough to get a used model for my college son. It's a good deal for those who keep their cars for a while.

Pickup, trunk, passenger seating, highway mileage.

Second console cupholder (left side one is an interesting innovation that doesn't quite work). Better thigh and lumbar support for driver.