2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
Need to fix wheel bearings
By Melissa Sutherland on 08/16/05 02:37 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I love the car in general. Good gas mileage, great factory stereo system, very reliable. I travel a lot, so I love that I can rely on it. My only complaint is I've only had the car a year and had to replace 2 wheel bearings. Otherwise it's a great car.

Cheap
By Rick on 07/31/05 23:27 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought it new, and have only put 20k miles on it in over 2 years. A wheel bearing went bad at 8k miles. The stereo stopped working at 13k, the horn stopped working at 18k, engine belt had to be replaced at 20k. Brakes are shot now at 20k, tires are wearing pretty badly as well, and nope, I don't do any jerky driving or high speed turns. I also get random weird vibrations and noises. i have noticed tiny spots of rust forming on the roof and trunk. The rust is under the trunk lid as well, so I'm wondering what is going on there. The car feels cheap in general, but I think I would have gotten my money's worth if it weren't for these annoying problems. I'm afraid of many more problems happening after the warranty is up.

OK replacement for Accord
By wildbill on 04/20/05 15:27 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I replaced my beloved '91 Honda Accord EX with the Malibu LS, with fear and trepidation. So far so good! Got a killer deal, too. Handles great, comfortable, and gas mileage of 26/32 like my Accord, after 25K miles. No service needed other than routine. It ain't a Honda, but it'll do for commuting in safety and comfort.

Very Reliable Car
By AZALIA31 on 03/22/05 17:38 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Malibu new and have had it for two and a half years now. A very reliable car. Very nice factory stereo. I already have 30,000 miles on it, and it's taking everything I give it. It has very good pick up. Makes it easy to get on the highway quickly. Overall I'm very happy with my car and have no plans of replacing it any time soon.

2003 Malibu
By sailordave on 12/28/04 16:03 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

For those saying poor gas mileage, try checking your tire pressure, air filter, and quit the jack rabbit starts. My city mileage is about 22 mpg. Good handling and acceleration. Large trunk. Good value for what you get.

Good, reliable transportation
By Steve Goldman on 12/21/04 21:40 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle in May of 2003, and have had no major issues. The only minor issue I had (Check engine light came on), the dealer took care of. I find the car to be quite comfortable, and more than sufficient power. It is basic, but considering the cost difference vs the Camry, I did not feel like I was sacrificing much.

Scrap Heap the malibu
By multicatz on 10/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

this "car" is nothing more than junk on bad tires. it is totally unreliable, makes strange sounds and beeps, and the horn honks for no reason. the radio has heavy static or gets 2 stations at the same time. the CD player ruined 2 tracks of a CD. the tires do not hold air. it has never been aligned properly. it gets a miserable 15mpg city and barely 20mpg hiway. it also randomly locks us out, locked me in once. dealership, salesman, and service are rude. none of the problems have been resolved. i was told the noises do not exist, then I started recording them. now there is no explanation. the service department even "scolded" me for not filling out a good service report. a real lemon!

My Malibu
By granddonnadjs on 10/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Molding around car does not fit together and can not be replaced. Gas gauge went haywire after 10 months and needed service. Nice car but poor workman ship inside and out.

Good value
By Team Henge on 10/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Overall a good value for the price. Purchase cost is substantially less than Accord and Camry, with comprable operating costs.

A very good car
By Pianoman on 06/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I have no complaints except the fuel economy of this car. We have had it for a year now and I don't think I could find much better. We purchased the car at 12000 miles for $8900. We feel we literaly stole the car!