2003 Chevrolet Malibu Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

2003 Malibu Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Sort Reviews by

Reliable, Comfy Car Overall
By A.D.

2003 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2003 Chevy Malibu with 11,000 miles on it. I now have 22,000 miles on it. I don't drive long distances (everywhere I go is pretty much within 15 miles of my house), but this car gets me from Point A to Point B safely. I don't worry about breaking down in the middle of the night. I've had this car for about a year and a half, and the only thing it's been at the mechanic's shop for is the routine oil change every 3,000. That's it. This is a very low-maintenance, reliable, comfortable car, great on gas, has sufficient pickup with its V6 engine. Factory stereo/CD system is superior to most factory systems. It rocks. And the car looks nice, too! I'm very happy with my Malibu.

Favorite Features

Faux wood dash panels, stereo, CD player, roomy interior, very comfy, big trunk, tilt steering wheel, comfy seats, and I love the position of the ignition keyhole--straight ahead so you can see it, as opposed to hidden on the side and under the steering wheel.

Suggested Improvements

My only complaint is that I notice (mostly after a rainy day) that I get some condensation inside the plastic casing that goes around the headlights. Perhaps they should use higher-quality molding/rubber to better seal this area.

Need to fix wheel bearings
By Melissa Sutherland

2003 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I love the car in general. Good gas mileage, great factory stereo system, very reliable. I travel a lot, so I love that I can rely on it. My only complaint is I've only had the car a year and had to replace 2 wheel bearings. Otherwise it's a great car.

Favorite Features

Stereo, gas mileage, comfortable

Suggested Improvements

Wheel bearings need to last a lot longer. it could use better gas mileage with gas prices so high. There's a rattling in front fender

Cheap
By Rick

2003 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought it new, and have only put 20k miles on it in over 2 years. A wheel bearing went bad at 8k miles. The stereo stopped working at 13k, the horn stopped working at 18k, engine belt had to be replaced at 20k. Brakes are shot now at 20k, tires are wearing pretty badly as well, and nope, I don't do any jerky driving or high speed turns. I also get random weird vibrations and noises. i have noticed tiny spots of rust forming on the roof and trunk. The rust is under the trunk lid as well, so I'm wondering what is going on there. The car feels cheap in general, but I think I would have gotten my money's worth if it weren't for these annoying problems. I'm afraid of many more problems happening after the warranty is up.

Favorite Features

V6 engine gets the job done. Sure it isn't ridiculously fast, but it provides plenty of passing power and acceleration for me.

Suggested Improvements

Build quality -- pay attention to detail.

OK replacement for Accord
By wildbill

2003 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I replaced my beloved '91 Honda Accord EX with the Malibu LS, with fear and trepidation. So far so good! Got a killer deal, too. Handles great, comfortable, and gas mileage of 26/32 like my Accord, after 25K miles. No service needed other than routine. It ain't a Honda, but it'll do for commuting in safety and comfort.

Favorite Features

LS has nice upholstery, good stereo sound, roomy trunk, split back seat open to trunk, nice paint job, love the remote keyless entry

Suggested Improvements

Better rear-window visibility needed (spoiler obscures), cheap plastic trim package is kind of ugly, sound system controls are confusing.

Very Reliable Car
By AZALIA31

2003 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Malibu new and have had it for two and a half years now. A very reliable car. Very nice factory stereo. I already have 30,000 miles on it, and it's taking everything I give it. It has very good pick up. Makes it easy to get on the highway quickly. Overall I'm very happy with my car and have no plans of replacing it any time soon.

Favorite Features

Stereo has good sound, very reliable easy access remote

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage needs improvement. Factory tires are too noisy

2003 Malibu
By sailordave

2003 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

For those saying poor gas mileage, try checking your tire pressure, air filter, and quit the jack rabbit starts. My city mileage is about 22 mpg. Good handling and acceleration. Large trunk. Good value for what you get.

Favorite Features

Standard CD player, 6 speakers (two way 4x6 in door and 6x9 in the back), and standard V-6 170 hp engine.

Suggested Improvements

Make 4 wheel disk brakes and split fold rear seat standard features.

Good, reliable transportation
By Steve Goldman

2003 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle in May of 2003, and have had no major issues. The only minor issue I had (Check engine light came on), the dealer took care of. I find the car to be quite comfortable, and more than sufficient power. It is basic, but considering the cost difference vs the Camry, I did not feel like I was sacrificing much.

Favorite Features

The car has better than expected power and handling. Although basic, I like the look of both the exterior and interior. It was well priced, reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is about 20 miles per gallon in mixed driving, not all that impressive.

Scrap Heap the malibu
By multicatz

2003 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

this "car" is nothing more than junk on bad tires. it is totally unreliable, makes strange sounds and beeps, and the horn honks for no reason. the radio has heavy static or gets 2 stations at the same time. the CD player ruined 2 tracks of a CD. the tires do not hold air. it has never been aligned properly. it gets a miserable 15mpg city and barely 20mpg hiway. it also randomly locks us out, locked me in once. dealership, salesman, and service are rude. none of the problems have been resolved. i was told the noises do not exist, then I started recording them. now there is no explanation. the service department even "scolded" me for not filling out a good service report. a real lemon!

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

use this piece of junk as a crash test

My Malibu
By granddonnadjs

2003 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Molding around car does not fit together and can not be replaced. Gas gauge went haywire after 10 months and needed service. Nice car but poor workman ship inside and out.

Favorite Features

Same comfort as my old camry was

Suggested Improvements

Be more proud of your workman ship. Carpet is putin crooked and not secure. Molding/fender on car not fitted together properly.

Good value
By Team Henge

2003 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Overall a good value for the price. Purchase cost is substantially less than Accord and Camry, with comprable operating costs.

Favorite Features

6 cylinder motor has good power for this size vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

finish/trim is lacking. I understand that fit/finish is improved on the 2004 model year.