2003 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
Bang for your buck
By sailordave on 11/10/07 20:19 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

If buying used, you'll get your money's worth. Bought it one year old with about 30,000 miles. Smooth steady acceleration, smooth shifting transmission with no neck snapping jerk of the shift, good interior layout of controls, and a nice highway cruiser.

Pretty Good
By scooter1 on 11/02/07 10:50 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Car now has 90K miles on it. The car is reliable and has never broken down on me. Gas mileage is pretty good. Responsive car. OK to drive. Had brake problems in the early year. I replaced the rotors with quality rotors and replaced both wheel bearings. Since those replacements, I have not had problems with the rotors or stopping power. Don't use lifetime pads on this car. At 70K miles I replaced the intake manifold gasket. THis is the only major repair.

2 redeeming qualities
By Rambler on 08/09/07 12:46 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

The only reason we purchased this car was to tow behind our Class A motorhome. The Malibu is one of only a few cars with automatic transmission that can be towed without expensive modifications. The build quality being a GM product is questionable at best of course. Not much acceleration. A mundane "bread and butter" auto.

Sleek Malibu
By Spunky 911 on 03/17/07 12:18 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I've had this car a little over two years and I haven't had one problem.The v6 engine is powerful, it rides very smooth, and it's very easy to work on. The only money I have had to put in to this car was gas, oil change, brakes, and a tail light bulb. The A/C blows ice cold and if you take car of it, I recommend this car to anyone.

Silver Malibu LS
By rhonda on 12/04/06 11:42 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I've enjoyed my Malibu LS. The only problems I've been having lately are starting and staying charged up. And the radiator seems to run hot. But other than that I have enjoyed my vehicle. I would recommend it to anyone.

OK for long distance driving
By lagrp394 on 11/21/06 10:04 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Stiff, uncomfortable seats. Lack of lumbar controls. Has a tendency to hestiate on start. Overall a good car. Could have better gas mileage and more comfortable seats.

Best vehicle I have ever had!
By Molly on 10/26/06 23:19 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle in 2004 for only $8,000. It was the best purchase I had ever made on a vehicle. I have owned a Mazda and Corsica and had nothing but problems. When I purchased this vehicle it had 17,000 miles on it and I was working at a state agency so I did a lot of traveling. I now have 83,000 miles on it and the only problem I had with it was a couple weeks after I got it the factory CD player stopped working but I was in a the process of getting a CD player installed anyways and all I have needed done is brakes changed twice and oil changes. Mechanically I have had absolutely no problems and it drives smoothly.

My Malibu
By Annette on 10/20/06 08:25 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I enjoy driving my Malibu because of the way it handles on the road. The interior is very nice and comfortable.

Wouldn't buy again
By meganscar on 10/07/06 13:36 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I've had numerous problems with this vehicle. So far, I've had the flywheel replaced due to noises when the vehicle started(this was one month into ownership), the entire fan/blower system replaced (one year into ownership, power steering gear replaced and lower intake gasket replaced (2 1/2 years into ownership). Now that I am out of warranty, the fan system that was replaced does not work - again. This is not to mention that this V6 vehicle has no power or pickup. I would not recommend that anyone buy a Malibu.

Great Experience
By Bob on 09/16/06 06:33 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

We bought the Malibu new in September 2003. Actually we bought two (one basic and one LS), and have been very pleased. This review is based on our experience involving the basic Malibu after 59,000 miles. Mainly interstate driving, 20,000 miles per year. Using cruise control, I consistently average 30 MPG. New tires at 43,000 miles. Replaced front brakes at 56,000 miles, at a dealership cost of $127.90. Rear brakes still good shape. Oil changes every 3,000 miles. We are happy Malibu owners, and armed with hindsight, we would make the same purchase decision as we did in Septemer 2003.