Used 2003 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews - 120 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

2003 Chevrolet Malibu

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

03 malibu
By erinjeanmck

2003 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the car in 06. I was the 2nd owner of this car. It had low miles on it & was in good condition. I had to replace all the tires on it at the time of purchase. I bought a car remote for it within the 1st yr. I get regular oil changes & last summer had to "fix" the car after it over heated--$600ish. The car remote decided to stop working this past winter. I also had to replace one of the tires this winter. I don't drive it excessively & have never taken it out of state. Farthest I have traveled away from home is 2 hrs 3 times. It's a good family car, but I'm usually the only one traveling around in it. It does guzzle gas--16-20 mpg city. Good car if you have a family.

I like that it has power windows and locks. The trunk is very large. Lots of leg room. Rides smooth.

It looks like an old lady car. The overall design of it could use some improvement.

Oh, my.
By Oh, my.

2003 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I got this from my mother who purchased it new. I prefer a different brand, but had to keep her from driving. I'm having same problems as others. I've had to have the AC button fixed several times. You'd think that Chevy would offer some kind of rebate or recall to those of us who have to have it fixed since this is a problem with most of the '03s, but they don't. Once is bad, twice is inexcusable. I also have trouble with the brakes when it rains. Glad to know others are having the same problems. I thought it was just me.

Sun roof and cup holders.

Fix the AC. AC for the rear seats.

Dump this vehicle
By Rick Ganczar

2003 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Bought new in Dec 2002. Well maintained with regular oil changes. Replaced brakes every 20k, replaced fuel pump,replaced fuel filters every 20k, shock absorber gone, required head gaskets, just dump it, not worth fixing.

Good motor and power, until head gasket problem

Car is good till 100k, then dump it.

Has problems....
By Patrick

2003 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used with only 2,400 miles on it. The engine is up to the task, and the transmission does a good job of using the power at hand. My problems center around the cooling system. This is the second GM car that I've had in which the coolant is just disappearing. The thermostat is also broken (locked open I think), and will have to be fixed. Don't know where the coolant is going, as there are no leaks. Probably a blown head gasket. Otherwise I like this car, but those are major repairs that the car will need. Air conditioning isn't working now, and hasn't for over two years. Now the fan control is screwed up too (only works on 4 and 5 settings, nothing lower).

V-6 is adequate. Feature content is excellent for the money. Has been reliable except for cooling problems. Gets good gas mileage.

GM....this is the second car of yours I've owned with Dexcool. Knock it off, too many problems with that cooling system/coolant! Other than that, this car has been good.

Tires are really important
By tires are important

2003 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Got the car for my son. I noticed HUGE road noise, especially interstate driving, and just figured that the car was a noisy cheap car. I was trying to sound proof it, but did some research on the tires, and saw that the tires that were on there EVERYONE complained about the road noise, so i switched them out, and the car rides like a dream..much, much quieter

25 mpg

no major problems , so far 90k miles; I did replace front rotors at 70K, so if it makes a noise when you turn, get it checked out