2003 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
surprisingly good car
By johnathanwills on 04/01/09 16:42 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I am biased to GM as I work for them but this car has been nothing but a pleasure. I've replaced one wheel bearing since 2004. It has great fuel economy on the highway, not great in the city. The car is plain and nobody notices it which is nice when it's parked in a lot overnight. One tip don't skimp on brake parts. Mine squeak constantly and have before when I've used so-so parts.

Poor engineering in abundance
By twomacho on 01/30/09 10:38 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Bought new - lots of price incentives - good initial reports, including CU. GM just doesn't get it. Poor brake / rotor design - expensive to fix. Flasher problems should have been a recall - hard to get at - poor design. Radio buttons show "wear" - mats slip - ash tray comes out doesn't go back in easily. Glove box opens - bottom falls out. Just the kind of garbage you never see in a Toyota or Honda who "sweat the details". GM deserves to go under - they have had years to get it right and disappoint.

But American cars!
By EVA CRANDALL on 01/14/09 14:18 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2003 Chevy Malibu LS.I love my car!I have had to replace the catalytic converter & the fuel pump but I had over 100000 miles on it before I had any repairs. Now I live in Tennessee & I only paid $250 for the Converter & $400 for the fuel pump & w/ having a car payment I'm cool with that. Now My girlfriend had a 2003 Honda Civic & she thought he car was better than mine because it's a Honda but at 56000 miles on her civic the A/C unit went out & she did not get the extended warrenty & we went to 3 mechanic's & the cheapest to replace & fix the A/C was $1350. She never got the A/C fixed she Traded it and bought a 2006 Chevy Malibu. You are gonna have problems with any car you buy. I will always buy GM or Ford to support our domestic car manufacturers!

Shame on Chevrolet
By JVJR on 12/27/08 16:53 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car new in 2003. Being a Chevy guy I thought I could look over a couple of things. However at 60,000 and 5 brake changes and 1 rotor change enough is enough! ( I could mention more problems but will not embarrass Chevy futher ) There is a problem with the brakes on the 2003 Malibu. Everyone knows it and us new car purchasers should be given some compensation. My wife drives this car to a part time job plus takes my daughter tom Pre-K. It is lucky if she gets the car up to 45 mph. We live in a rural area with not alot of stop and go traffic. Come on Chevy before you go belly up and amit this problem or I am done with GM cars....

The reason we'll never buy GM again
By Dissatisfied Owner on 10/05/08 12:30 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

This has got to be the worst car I've ever owned. The air conditioner won't stay in recirculation (coldest) mode. We've had it serviced six times in five years (after warranty expired $400 a pop). It works for a few months, then breaks again. Local Chevy dealer kept it for over a week last time to figure out what is going wrong. Still can't figure it out. Living in North Central Texas, cold a/c in summer (and sometimes spring and fall) isn't an option -- it's a necessity. Our next car will definitely not be a GM product -- from two people who bought exclusively GM for our entire driving lives.

Stranded in Nova Scotia
By Malibu on 07/09/08 04:43 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

In all honesty the 2003 Malibu has been fairly reliable, except for rotors. I made the mistake of getting the rotors machined back to smooth, all this did was to give the rotors a shorter life. Replace rotors if they are warped, do not machine. It's now in with a suspected fuel pump problem. The reason it's at the Canadian tire is I went to the local Chev dealer, and explained I had a loose connection on a wire leading to the fan motor, a simple repair, at $152. I was furious and got the bill reduced substantially. The air conditioning never worked satisfactorily from day one, it cooled but was never cold. The vehicle was just transport

Good while it lasted
By sarah on 06/20/08 10:49 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

In the begining it was a very good vehicle. I had to replace the alternator when the car had 58,000 miles on it. A few weeks after I made my last payment, at 75,000 miles, it seemed that everything went wrong. The fuel pump went and had to replace it, of course the car wouldn't run with out it. While that was being fixed I was told that I would have to replace the front wheel bearings very soon, the air conditioner went with a few days of being told that, the paint began to peel off the rear passenger doors, the car also started to leak oil and the door locks started acting up. I thought this car may become a service department regular so I decided it was time to replace it after only 5 yrs

Great car
By jmbc08 on 06/08/08 19:22 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

What can I say, its an all around great car. It fits my every need. The motor is great, nice horsepower and torque. You can put a beating on it and it wont die. Has no problem burning out too. Two complaints I always get are the seats are comfortable and it rides smooth. Very smooth and a lot of space inside for leg room. CD player is pretty good, so are the speakers. The trunk is excellent for putting a lot of things in it. Taken it on road trips and has no issues what so ever. Take care of this car and you'll put many miles on it. I recommend to anyone who has a family or carries three or more people.

Lemon all the way
By Yvonne Lancaster PA on 03/16/08 17:41 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this car for 4yrs and it has had nothing but issues. I probably spent as much in repairs as I have on the sales price. Replaced catalytic converter,starter,fuel pump,several sensors, and now they say the gasket needs replaced, talk about a lemon, I will never, never buy another GM car which was all I believed in buying previous to this money gouging vehicle. Get with the program GM.

Lots of money in repairs
By Angryowner on 12/26/07 14:24 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased at decent price with rebates. Glad I bought the extended warranty from 36 month to 5 yr or 75k miles cause fuel pump quit= $900 , water pump-head gasket=$900 all happened under warranty. Now at 91k miles needs a complete new head. Stripped rocker arm bolt out of head and have no idea why. Will cost me $1,500. 48 year old woman drives this car easy, and I kept it serviced with care. This will turn me away and I will buy a foreign car made here in America next time.