2003 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
Dump this vehicle
By Rick Ganczar on 04/29/10 22:39 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Bought new in Dec 2002. Well maintained with regular oil changes. Replaced brakes every 20k, replaced fuel pump,replaced fuel filters every 20k, shock absorber gone, required head gaskets, just dump it, not worth fixing.

Has problems....
By Patrick on 04/04/10 18:28 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used with only 2,400 miles on it. The engine is up to the task, and the transmission does a good job of using the power at hand. My problems center around the cooling system. This is the second GM car that I've had in which the coolant is just disappearing. The thermostat is also broken (locked open I think), and will have to be fixed. Don't know where the coolant is going, as there are no leaks. Probably a blown head gasket. Otherwise I like this car, but those are major repairs that the car will need. Air conditioning isn't working now, and hasn't for over two years. Now the fan control is screwed up too (only works on 4 and 5 settings, nothing lower).

Tires are really important
By tires are important on 03/22/10 21:09 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Got the car for my son. I noticed HUGE road noise, especially interstate driving, and just figured that the car was a noisy cheap car. I was trying to sound proof it, but did some research on the tires, and saw that the tires that were on there EVERYONE complained about the road noise, so i switched them out, and the car rides like a dream..much, much quieter

Fuel pumps in Chevrolet Malibu poor
By Katherine Knudsen on 01/13/10 10:29 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I have had trouble with the cooling system and now the fuel pump. This is my second malibu and the second time I have had to deal with a fuel pump. The seat is difficult to pull down in back for trunk room.

2003 Malibu
By M on 11/06/09 12:54 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased in 8/2003, and I beat drive this car hard! I rarely give it an oil change or any of the recommended maintenance.....The car runs perfectly! I have never gotten stuck! Front rotors and brake pads need to be replaced fairly frequently. The air conditioning has not worked since 2004. I had a problem with water filling the trunk in 2007. The passenger side gets rust spots which I have noticed on many of the Malibus. But, I have never owned a vehicle for this many (6) years! It has been good to me, I have 107, 000 miles on it!

Good Vehicle
By Malibu03 on 11/04/09 19:10 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased vehicle at 31,000 miles, 2 years old. I always have my cars serviced at the appropriate times. Never had to do anything to it until the brakes went after 3 years of driving it (20,000 mi/yr). This past week the fuel pump went, but I purchased a 7yr/100,000 service contract which paid for the replacement. Have always liked the car. No other issues and I'm at 90,000 miles.

Changed MInd
By broker037 on 10/22/09 12:03 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Rated good before...changed mind. At 64,000 miles worst car ever owned. Head gasket broke down at 40,000 miles due to DexCool AntiFreeze ... GM only would pay for 1/2 "IF" you take to dealer. Cheaper to go to private shop. No wonder they went bankrupt. DO NOT BUY!

A Lemon Disguised As A Car!!
By BigP81 on 08/20/09 21:48 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased w/ 111K, now has 122K. The ignition switch needs replacing (ignition cylinder/theft system issue), there's a major electric short/issue with ground(using foglights blows fuse for Sunroof). The Heating/Cooling does what it wants, AC doesn't stay on, nor does the Circulate Air feature. Antifreeze needs to be refilled about every 1.5mos (dealership found no leak). The vehicles has major braking issues in the rain...Need I go on? I bought this car by hearing of it's reliability...well approx 7mos & 11K later, I admit that I bought a lemon disguised as a car! I'm quite turned off by GM this is the 4th GM I've owned with Electrical issues.

Nice car, underappreciated.
By Dennis on 07/25/09 18:49 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Malibu LS new in April 2003, and am in the market for a new car now. NOTHING has ever gone wrong with it, it's given me zero problems. It's been a while though, I'm a little bored with it, I make more money than I did, so I'm shopping again. I've test driven BMW, Lexus, Mercedes and Audi, expecting to be "wowed"......and I really wasn't. Granted, my Malibu has every option there is, and I don't pretend it's in the class of any of those cars I mentioned - but it really stands up very well comparatively, in features, drive and quality. It's certainly made me appreciate it more. Certainly not an exciting car, but definitely both reliable and nice.

piece of....well you know
By Carolinagirl on 07/12/09 09:17 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

This was my first actual car and I was so excited...until. I got stranded in the middle of a road trip because of the fuel pump. Then the thermostat went, replaced rotors twice. Leaking coolant, had to replace gaskets and water pump. I haven't had the car two years. Locks went weird. Overall it's been disappointing to say the least. i'm in school and cant afford a new car any time soon >:[