Used 2003 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

2003 Chevrolet Malibu

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

2003 Malibu
By sailordave

2003 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

For those saying poor gas mileage, try checking your tire pressure, air filter, and quit the jack rabbit starts. My city mileage is about 22 mpg. Good handling and acceleration. Large trunk. Good value for what you get.

Favorite Features

Standard CD player, 6 speakers (two way 4x6 in door and 6x9 in the back), and standard V-6 170 hp engine.

Suggested Improvements

Make 4 wheel disk brakes and split fold rear seat standard features.

Good, reliable transportation
By Steve Goldman

2003 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vehicle in May of 2003, and have had no major issues. The only minor issue I had (Check engine light came on), the dealer took care of. I find the car to be quite comfortable, and more than sufficient power. It is basic, but considering the cost difference vs the Camry, I did not feel like I was sacrificing much.

Favorite Features

The car has better than expected power and handling. Although basic, I like the look of both the exterior and interior. It was well priced, reliable.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is about 20 miles per gallon in mixed driving, not all that impressive.

Scrap Heap the malibu
By multicatz

2003 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

this "car" is nothing more than junk on bad tires. it is totally unreliable, makes strange sounds and beeps, and the horn honks for no reason. the radio has heavy static or gets 2 stations at the same time. the CD player ruined 2 tracks of a CD. the tires do not hold air. it has never been aligned properly. it gets a miserable 15mpg city and barely 20mpg hiway. it also randomly locks us out, locked me in once. dealership, salesman, and service are rude. none of the problems have been resolved. i was told the noises do not exist, then I started recording them. now there is no explanation. the service department even "scolded" me for not filling out a good service report. a real lemon!

Favorite Features

none

Suggested Improvements

use this piece of junk as a crash test

My Malibu
By granddonnadjs

2003 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Molding around car does not fit together and can not be replaced. Gas gauge went haywire after 10 months and needed service. Nice car but poor workman ship inside and out.

Favorite Features

Same comfort as my old camry was

Suggested Improvements

Be more proud of your workman ship. Carpet is putin crooked and not secure. Molding/fender on car not fitted together properly.

Good value
By Team Henge

2003 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Overall a good value for the price. Purchase cost is substantially less than Accord and Camry, with comprable operating costs.

Favorite Features

6 cylinder motor has good power for this size vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

finish/trim is lacking. I understand that fit/finish is improved on the 2004 model year.