2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
No complaints
By chevyok on 04/23/14 17:49 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Going on 11th year since new. Fairly reliable car given normal maintenance. Beside the normal problems others have reported, such as sticky flasher, stuck A/C button, wrapped rotor, etc, I really cannot complaint too much. I did replace the water pump and thermostat, shocks all around 100K miles, the ABS sensors at 115K. Other than that, everything still works approaching 136K. My goal with this car is 250K miles, but will see when and if it can get there.

One Hell Of A Car
By jc775 on 02/08/13 21:43 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

To Start off, I don't care about the negative comments foreign car fans have to say. The Chevy Malibu is an amazing car! I got my '03 in'04 as a first car and i'm happy i did. This car got me home EVERY time. Yes i've changed the Intake manifold gasket and fuel pump but like they say, take care of the car, car will take care of you. Just recently, I was coming down the mountain road covered in black ice. Going the 50 mile speed limit, the car hits the black ice and crashes, hitting the side wall. She still started right up and drove us down not to far to safety at a chain instal shoulder. She took all the damage which cost her her life. This car saved my life and the lives of my friends.

Not Bad, Not Great
By rswanson101 on 12/19/12 16:24 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I've been driving my '03 Malibu LS (fully loaded) for about a year now. I purchased it used with only 26,000km on it! I really like the way the car rides. It's so quiet, even on the highway, and it soaks up bumps really well. The interior fit ad finish is ok, but nothing amazing. It's got nice pickup in the city, and really good passing power on the highway (I've passed with ease at 150 km/h on a steep hill. The worst drawback for me are fuel economy. I only get about 16 city and 22 hwy carefully, watching my driving habits, 15 & 19 driving normally. The other thing is that it feels cheap at times (ie some of the buttons/knobs). It's not too bad, but should be thought of as 'just a car'.

Oh, my.
By Oh, my. on 09/08/10 09:01 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I got this from my mother who purchased it new. I prefer a different brand, but had to keep her from driving. I'm having same problems as others. I've had to have the AC button fixed several times. You'd think that Chevy would offer some kind of rebate or recall to those of us who have to have it fixed since this is a problem with most of the '03s, but they don't. Once is bad, twice is inexcusable. I also have trouble with the brakes when it rains. Glad to know others are having the same problems. I thought it was just me.

Has problems....
By Patrick on 04/04/10 18:28 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used with only 2,400 miles on it. The engine is up to the task, and the transmission does a good job of using the power at hand. My problems center around the cooling system. This is the second GM car that I've had in which the coolant is just disappearing. The thermostat is also broken (locked open I think), and will have to be fixed. Don't know where the coolant is going, as there are no leaks. Probably a blown head gasket. Otherwise I like this car, but those are major repairs that the car will need. Air conditioning isn't working now, and hasn't for over two years. Now the fan control is screwed up too (only works on 4 and 5 settings, nothing lower).

Tires are really important
By tires are important on 03/22/10 21:09 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Got the car for my son. I noticed HUGE road noise, especially interstate driving, and just figured that the car was a noisy cheap car. I was trying to sound proof it, but did some research on the tires, and saw that the tires that were on there EVERYONE complained about the road noise, so i switched them out, and the car rides like a dream..much, much quieter

Good Vehicle
By Malibu03 on 11/04/09 19:10 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased vehicle at 31,000 miles, 2 years old. I always have my cars serviced at the appropriate times. Never had to do anything to it until the brakes went after 3 years of driving it (20,000 mi/yr). This past week the fuel pump went, but I purchased a 7yr/100,000 service contract which paid for the replacement. Have always liked the car. No other issues and I'm at 90,000 miles.

Changed MInd
By broker037 on 10/22/09 12:03 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Rated good before...changed mind. At 64,000 miles worst car ever owned. Head gasket broke down at 40,000 miles due to DexCool AntiFreeze ... GM only would pay for 1/2 "IF" you take to dealer. Cheaper to go to private shop. No wonder they went bankrupt. DO NOT BUY!

A Lemon Disguised As A Car!!
By BigP81 on 08/20/09 21:48 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased w/ 111K, now has 122K. The ignition switch needs replacing (ignition cylinder/theft system issue), there's a major electric short/issue with ground(using foglights blows fuse for Sunroof). The Heating/Cooling does what it wants, AC doesn't stay on, nor does the Circulate Air feature. Antifreeze needs to be refilled about every 1.5mos (dealership found no leak). The vehicles has major braking issues in the rain...Need I go on? I bought this car by hearing of it's reliability...well approx 7mos & 11K later, I admit that I bought a lemon disguised as a car! I'm quite turned off by GM this is the 4th GM I've owned with Electrical issues.

Nice car, underappreciated.
By Dennis on 07/25/09 18:49 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Malibu LS new in April 2003, and am in the market for a new car now. NOTHING has ever gone wrong with it, it's given me zero problems. It's been a while though, I'm a little bored with it, I make more money than I did, so I'm shopping again. I've test driven BMW, Lexus, Mercedes and Audi, expecting to be "wowed"......and I really wasn't. Granted, my Malibu has every option there is, and I don't pretend it's in the class of any of those cars I mentioned - but it really stands up very well comparatively, in features, drive and quality. It's certainly made me appreciate it more. Certainly not an exciting car, but definitely both reliable and nice.