Used 2003 Chevrolet Malibu LS Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

First Car At 168,000 Miles...
By Ethyn Dirmeyer

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Well, got my first car about a month ago. The Chevy Malibu LS. Got it used for a heck of a deal. Love the power this thing has got, and the interior design is AMAZING! The Radio is alright, ended up replacing every single speaker (4x6 and 6x9) for Rocksfords. The original speakers arent bad though, the bass isnt half bad but not any wear NEAR what you can get. I love the inside of this car. 2 Cigarette Lighters, Easy to open door panels. All i'm getting from now until i die is a Malibu (:

Favorite Features

Good Stereo System, 3.1L Engine, Power Steering handles well, 2 Cigarette lighters.

Suggested Improvements

The Seats are uncomfortable a little over 2 hours of sitting.

No complaints
By chevyok

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Going on 11th year since new. Fairly reliable car given normal maintenance. Beside the normal problems others have reported, such as sticky flasher, stuck A/C button, wrapped rotor, etc, I really cannot complaint too much. I did replace the water pump and thermostat, shocks all around 100K miles, the ABS sensors at 115K. Other than that, everything still works approaching 136K. My goal with this car is 250K miles, but will see when and if it can get there.

Favorite Features

Sporty looks, leather everything, sunroof, spoiler all around $15K when new.

Suggested Improvements

Chevy just got to stop putting drum brakes in any car. Given the difference between disc brakes and drum brakes, I suspect the savings are negligible for GM.

One Hell Of A Car
By jc775

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

To Start off, I don't care about the negative comments foreign car fans have to say. The Chevy Malibu is an amazing car! I got my '03 in'04 as a first car and i'm happy i did. This car got me home EVERY time. Yes i've changed the Intake manifold gasket and fuel pump but like they say, take care of the car, car will take care of you. Just recently, I was coming down the mountain road covered in black ice. Going the 50 mile speed limit, the car hits the black ice and crashes, hitting the side wall. She still started right up and drove us down not to far to safety at a chain instal shoulder. She took all the damage which cost her her life. This car saved my life and the lives of my friends.

Favorite Features

Reliable, fast, great look, inexpensive repair costs, safe,trustworthy, amazing. My Malibu died at 200,000 miles and still had lots of life left in her

Suggested Improvements

GM permanent fix to intake manifold gasket?

Not Bad, Not Great
By rswanson101

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I've been driving my '03 Malibu LS (fully loaded) for about a year now. I purchased it used with only 26,000km on it! I really like the way the car rides. It's so quiet, even on the highway, and it soaks up bumps really well. The interior fit ad finish is ok, but nothing amazing. It's got nice pickup in the city, and really good passing power on the highway (I've passed with ease at 150 km/h on a steep hill. The worst drawback for me are fuel economy. I only get about 16 city and 22 hwy carefully, watching my driving habits, 15 & 19 driving normally. The other thing is that it feels cheap at times (ie some of the buttons/knobs). It's not too bad, but should be thought of as 'just a car'.

Oh, my.
By Oh, my.

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I got this from my mother who purchased it new. I prefer a different brand, but had to keep her from driving. I'm having same problems as others. I've had to have the AC button fixed several times. You'd think that Chevy would offer some kind of rebate or recall to those of us who have to have it fixed since this is a problem with most of the '03s, but they don't. Once is bad, twice is inexcusable. I also have trouble with the brakes when it rains. Glad to know others are having the same problems. I thought it was just me.

Favorite Features

Sun roof and cup holders.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the AC. AC for the rear seats.