Used 2003 Chevrolet Malibu Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

My first car
By Mikey

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

It was a great car , I bought it in 2009 with 120k on it I was 16 when I bought it, it was actually in a previous accident and was reconstructed but looked brand new, I never had a problem with any type of engine work or anything, I did get in a accident with it when I was 18 but I got it fixed and it was fine the only trouble I had with the car was electronic issues like my tail lights were always going out and getting me pulled over and always had to mess with the word and get new tail lights, but I had the car intill I was 22 and had to get rid of it for financial issues. But I would definitely buy another one!

2003 GM fuel pumps defective.
By Eric Puckett

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

My 2003 Chevy Malibu fuel pump went out. While looking for a new one I found some interesting facts. 1 website had over 90 complaints on that part for that model and year of GM cars. Normally parts for cars interchange every 5 years. The 2003 GM models fuel pump was only put on cars that year. That makes me believe that GM knew the pump was defective. Wy else would GM only install that pump for 1 year when they always use parts for 5 years. Something to think about.

Great Car
By alan1945

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased as a used rental car in 2004 with 15,000 miles. I now have 203,000 miles and change the oil at 5,000 intervals. Non maintenance repairs have only been a fuel pump, thermostat, and alternator. MPG is great. Consistently averages 30-32 highway at 70+ MPH and 26-28 city. Will easily go 55,000 to 60,000 miles on a set of tires. Nothing great to look at but the most reliable car I have owned, especially considering the price. Would like to get something newer but the thing just won't quit.

Great value...
By elbarto247

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased the car in 2004 with 9K miles. always taken care of the care by doing the maintenance myself. Car has had no major problems since i purchased. Just had my transmission oil and radiator flushed a replaced. Car still performs very well. Taken it on multiple trips a year and always average between 26-28 MPG. Have highly rated All season tires and always perform regular oil changes. Acceleration always begins to be a problem right before oil changes are necessary, but the car performs very well otherwise. Interior is differently not of high quality and things do brake but nothing a little lover and attention wont fix.

Very Reliable as long as maintenance is done. Car is not forgiving if you missed its maintenance.

Seats are very uncomfortable and interior part brake often.

honeymoon is over
By bordelon

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Loved car until intake gasket leak, warped brake rotors, anti-theft sensor went out, 4 AC control plates, and now has a slight jerking when softly accelerating. Bought used in 2004, am second owner. Up to 98,000 miles. Decent acceleration from stop if you press gas 3/4 way down. For passing on interstate, floor it and it'll downshift. Am doing mild hypermiling. Average between 22 to 24 mpg in city. Use cushion with opening for tailbone. Seat bucket now painful to my tailbone. Very little rust caused by rocks and parking lot car doors.

When arm is on armrest, hand rest easily on shifter. Large trunk. Smooth on rough roads. Virtually invisible to cops and thieves. Smooth shifting transmission.

As soon as GM finds out about a quality problem, stop blaming the vehicle owner. Solve the problem, implement the solution on the production line, and make repairs to the problem as they're brought in at no cost to the customer. Better seat cushion material, better stereo/speakers, better trim material quality, better fit/finish on interior and exterior (looks like rear bumper wasn't finished being installed)

• SUV