2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
Great Car
By alan1945 on 06/30/14 14:04 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased as a used rental car in 2004 with 15,000 miles. I now have 203,000 miles and change the oil at 5,000 intervals. Non maintenance repairs have only been a fuel pump, thermostat, and alternator. MPG is great. Consistently averages 30-32 highway at 70+ MPH and 26-28 city. Will easily go 55,000 to 60,000 miles on a set of tires. Nothing great to look at but the most reliable car I have owned, especially considering the price. Would like to get something newer but the thing just won't quit.

No complaints
By chevyok on 04/23/14 17:49 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Going on 11th year since new. Fairly reliable car given normal maintenance. Beside the normal problems others have reported, such as sticky flasher, stuck A/C button, wrapped rotor, etc, I really cannot complaint too much. I did replace the water pump and thermostat, shocks all around 100K miles, the ABS sensors at 115K. Other than that, everything still works approaching 136K. My goal with this car is 250K miles, but will see when and if it can get there.

Great value...
By elbarto247 on 02/04/14 10:44 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased the car in 2004 with 9K miles. always taken care of the care by doing the maintenance myself. Car has had no major problems since i purchased. Just had my transmission oil and radiator flushed a replaced. Car still performs very well. Taken it on multiple trips a year and always average between 26-28 MPG. Have highly rated All season tires and always perform regular oil changes. Acceleration always begins to be a problem right before oil changes are necessary, but the car performs very well otherwise. Interior is differently not of high quality and things do brake but nothing a little lover and attention wont fix.

honeymoon is over
By bordelon on 06/22/13 17:48 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Loved car until intake gasket leak, warped brake rotors, anti-theft sensor went out, 4 AC control plates, and now has a slight jerking when softly accelerating. Bought used in 2004, am second owner. Up to 98,000 miles. Decent acceleration from stop if you press gas 3/4 way down. For passing on interstate, floor it and it'll downshift. Am doing mild hypermiling. Average between 22 to 24 mpg in city. Use cushion with opening for tailbone. Seat bucket now painful to my tailbone. Very little rust caused by rocks and parking lot car doors.

One Hell Of A Car
By jc775 on 02/08/13 21:43 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

To Start off, I don't care about the negative comments foreign car fans have to say. The Chevy Malibu is an amazing car! I got my '03 in'04 as a first car and i'm happy i did. This car got me home EVERY time. Yes i've changed the Intake manifold gasket and fuel pump but like they say, take care of the car, car will take care of you. Just recently, I was coming down the mountain road covered in black ice. Going the 50 mile speed limit, the car hits the black ice and crashes, hitting the side wall. She still started right up and drove us down not to far to safety at a chain instal shoulder. She took all the damage which cost her her life. This car saved my life and the lives of my friends.

Not Bad, Not Great
By rswanson101 on 12/19/12 16:24 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I've been driving my '03 Malibu LS (fully loaded) for about a year now. I purchased it used with only 26,000km on it! I really like the way the car rides. It's so quiet, even on the highway, and it soaks up bumps really well. The interior fit ad finish is ok, but nothing amazing. It's got nice pickup in the city, and really good passing power on the highway (I've passed with ease at 150 km/h on a steep hill. The worst drawback for me are fuel economy. I only get about 16 city and 22 hwy carefully, watching my driving habits, 15 & 19 driving normally. The other thing is that it feels cheap at times (ie some of the buttons/knobs). It's not too bad, but should be thought of as 'just a car'.

Dont buy it
By kevpa1 on 09/13/12 07:36 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the car under with 90,000 miles. At first the car has no problem and after a while it started making a clunking noise randomly and it feels like its about to break down any minute. I cant want to trade this car in.

Stay Away From This Car!
By maria1101 on 04/24/12 20:31 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Where do I begin...I bought this car used four years ago with 77k, it was my first car so you cant really be picky. After three months the problems began, head gasket, bad electrical wiring, brakes needed replaced every 6 months, rotors needed replaced once a year, the fuel pump needed replaced, also replaced the ignition and the body control module due to the fact they told me it would solve my problem of my car not starting while sitting in the sun...no mechanic could ever figure out what the problem was! Signals occasionally didn't work, sun visor fell off, seat recliner handle fell off. I took good care of this car, always kept it well maintained but this car did not take care of me!

03 malibu
By erinjeanmck on 04/05/11 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the car in 06. I was the 2nd owner of this car. It had low miles on it & was in good condition. I had to replace all the tires on it at the time of purchase. I bought a car remote for it within the 1st yr. I get regular oil changes & last summer had to "fix" the car after it over heated--$600ish. The car remote decided to stop working this past winter. I also had to replace one of the tires this winter. I don't drive it excessively & have never taken it out of state. Farthest I have traveled away from home is 2 hrs 3 times. It's a good family car, but I'm usually the only one traveling around in it. It does guzzle gas--16-20 mpg city. Good car if you have a family.

Oh, my.
By Oh, my. on 09/08/10 09:01 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I got this from my mother who purchased it new. I prefer a different brand, but had to keep her from driving. I'm having same problems as others. I've had to have the AC button fixed several times. You'd think that Chevy would offer some kind of rebate or recall to those of us who have to have it fixed since this is a problem with most of the '03s, but they don't. Once is bad, twice is inexcusable. I also have trouble with the brakes when it rains. Glad to know others are having the same problems. I thought it was just me.