2003 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
Great Car
By alan1945 on 06/30/14 14:04 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased as a used rental car in 2004 with 15,000 miles. I now have 203,000 miles and change the oil at 5,000 intervals. Non maintenance repairs have only been a fuel pump, thermostat, and alternator. MPG is great. Consistently averages 30-32 highway at 70+ MPH and 26-28 city. Will easily go 55,000 to 60,000 miles on a set of tires. Nothing great to look at but the most reliable car I have owned, especially considering the price. Would like to get something newer but the thing just won't quit.

Great value...
By elbarto247 on 02/04/14 10:44 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased the car in 2004 with 9K miles. always taken care of the care by doing the maintenance myself. Car has had no major problems since i purchased. Just had my transmission oil and radiator flushed a replaced. Car still performs very well. Taken it on multiple trips a year and always average between 26-28 MPG. Have highly rated All season tires and always perform regular oil changes. Acceleration always begins to be a problem right before oil changes are necessary, but the car performs very well otherwise. Interior is differently not of high quality and things do brake but nothing a little lover and attention wont fix.

honeymoon is over
By bordelon on 06/22/13 17:48 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Loved car until intake gasket leak, warped brake rotors, anti-theft sensor went out, 4 AC control plates, and now has a slight jerking when softly accelerating. Bought used in 2004, am second owner. Up to 98,000 miles. Decent acceleration from stop if you press gas 3/4 way down. For passing on interstate, floor it and it'll downshift. Am doing mild hypermiling. Average between 22 to 24 mpg in city. Use cushion with opening for tailbone. Seat bucket now painful to my tailbone. Very little rust caused by rocks and parking lot car doors.

Dont buy it
By kevpa1 on 09/13/12 07:36 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the car under with 90,000 miles. At first the car has no problem and after a while it started making a clunking noise randomly and it feels like its about to break down any minute. I cant want to trade this car in.

Stay Away From This Car!
By maria1101 on 04/24/12 20:31 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Where do I begin...I bought this car used four years ago with 77k, it was my first car so you cant really be picky. After three months the problems began, head gasket, bad electrical wiring, brakes needed replaced every 6 months, rotors needed replaced once a year, the fuel pump needed replaced, also replaced the ignition and the body control module due to the fact they told me it would solve my problem of my car not starting while sitting in the sun...no mechanic could ever figure out what the problem was! Signals occasionally didn't work, sun visor fell off, seat recliner handle fell off. I took good care of this car, always kept it well maintained but this car did not take care of me!

03 malibu
By erinjeanmck on 04/05/11 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the car in 06. I was the 2nd owner of this car. It had low miles on it & was in good condition. I had to replace all the tires on it at the time of purchase. I bought a car remote for it within the 1st yr. I get regular oil changes & last summer had to "fix" the car after it over heated--$600ish. The car remote decided to stop working this past winter. I also had to replace one of the tires this winter. I don't drive it excessively & have never taken it out of state. Farthest I have traveled away from home is 2 hrs 3 times. It's a good family car, but I'm usually the only one traveling around in it. It does guzzle gas--16-20 mpg city. Good car if you have a family.

Dump this vehicle
By Rick Ganczar on 04/29/10 22:39 PM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Bought new in Dec 2002. Well maintained with regular oil changes. Replaced brakes every 20k, replaced fuel pump,replaced fuel filters every 20k, shock absorber gone, required head gaskets, just dump it, not worth fixing.

Fuel pumps in Chevrolet Malibu poor
By Katherine Knudsen on 01/13/10 10:29 AM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I have had trouble with the cooling system and now the fuel pump. This is my second malibu and the second time I have had to deal with a fuel pump. The seat is difficult to pull down in back for trunk room.

2003 Malibu
By M on 11/06/09 12:54 PM (PST)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased in 8/2003, and I beat drive this car hard! I rarely give it an oil change or any of the recommended maintenance.....The car runs perfectly! I have never gotten stuck! Front rotors and brake pads need to be replaced fairly frequently. The air conditioning has not worked since 2004. I had a problem with water filling the trunk in 2007. The passenger side gets rust spots which I have noticed on many of the Malibus. But, I have never owned a vehicle for this many (6) years! It has been good to me, I have 107, 000 miles on it!

piece of....well you know
By Carolinagirl on 07/12/09 09:17 AM (PDT)

2003 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

This was my first actual car and I was so excited...until. I got stranded in the middle of a road trip because of the fuel pump. Then the thermostat went, replaced rotors twice. Leaking coolant, had to replace gaskets and water pump. I haven't had the car two years. Locks went weird. Overall it's been disappointing to say the least. i'm in school and cant afford a new car any time soon >:[