Used 2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Malibu shows its age
By dcsc08

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

My Malibu developed ignition problems just after the warranty ran out. Brakes are poorly designed and underpowered. Now at 80000 miles, it developed a cooling leak in the manifold which necessitates that the manifold gaskets be replaced at a cost of over $1200.00

Favorite Features

The doors lock automatically when the car moves.

Suggested Improvements

I know the car has been redisgned since I purchased my car. GM needs to study the Honda's and the Toyotas

Engine Trouble At Sixty Thousand Miles
By Switched to Honda

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

For three years the Malibu was a wonderful car to own. I liked the engine power and the extremely comfortable driver seat. However, the car started developing severe coolant- related engine problems at 60,000 miles. I did some research and discovered that this is a common occurance with Malibus. Last week I traded it off and bought a brand new Honda. If you buy a Malibu, you will eventually have coolant-related engine problems. I faithfully maintained mine and it still happened. The Malibu has a serious design flaw in its cooling system. Buy at your own risk.

Favorite Features

Driver seat extremely comfortable. Cold air-conditioning. Nice stereo.

Suggested Improvements

Redesign the car's cooling system and stop the use of Dexcool.

Great overall car, very reliable
By David

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car looking for a car that would start everytime. This car has yet to fail me. With regular scheduled maintnence i have not had to put any additional money into it. The car gets excellent fuel economy for the stress I put it through. I drove 300 miles with 3 other passengers with the AC on 5 the whole time there and i got 29 MPG highway. I thought that was awesome!

Favorite Features

My added remote start and sound system. Other than that I would say my favorite feature is the dual cig lighters for additional accessories

Suggested Improvements

I would like to see sound controls on the steering wheel. Also when you tip the center arm rest compartment thing up with change in it, it falls out the back. Also the cup holders in the back can let a can or something slide otu the side. Other than that car is great!

Candi's review
By CandyHarris

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Originally I bought it because it had four doors and could accomodate my aging parents comfortably. It did and still does. But it is nice to drive, smooth like a luxury car, yet drives more like my Camaro and has the interior room of a much larger car. I like my Malibu! I just wish I had gotten it in gold instead of green.

Favorite Features

The leather interior, and remote door opener

Suggested Improvements

Add a three disk CD changer, and climate control, even if only as options.

It Goes and Goes
By Howard

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Over 100K miles and it has yet to break down. The only mechanical problem so far was when an electrical problem caused the fan not to work at the lower speeds. This is my concept of a luxury car. Although nothing about it is spectacular, there is nothing that is truly deficient. It still runs just about as smoothly as the day I bought it.

Favorite Features

Stays out of the repair shop. Folding rear seats.

Suggested Improvements

Could have used a little larger gas tank (which the current model has).