Used 2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Best car that I ever owned
By MV

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I have covered 105,000 miles in the last 4 and a half years. Never had a single problem except for a plastic handrest breaking during warranty. Changed brakes once and spent $120 for the 100,000 mile service and changed all tires at 95,000 miles. My wife loves Japanese cars but after seeing my Chevy, she switched to GM as well. I am waiting for the 2008 Malibu to upgrade.

Ride on highway.

Looks like Chevy is making all these changes on the 2008 Malibu.

Malibu shows its age
By dcsc08

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

My Malibu developed ignition problems just after the warranty ran out. Brakes are poorly designed and underpowered. Now at 80000 miles, it developed a cooling leak in the manifold which necessitates that the manifold gaskets be replaced at a cost of over $1200.00

The doors lock automatically when the car moves.

I know the car has been redisgned since I purchased my car. GM needs to study the Honda's and the Toyotas

Engine Trouble At Sixty Thousand Miles
By Switched to Honda

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

For three years the Malibu was a wonderful car to own. I liked the engine power and the extremely comfortable driver seat. However, the car started developing severe coolant- related engine problems at 60,000 miles. I did some research and discovered that this is a common occurance with Malibus. Last week I traded it off and bought a brand new Honda. If you buy a Malibu, you will eventually have coolant-related engine problems. I faithfully maintained mine and it still happened. The Malibu has a serious design flaw in its cooling system. Buy at your own risk.

Driver seat extremely comfortable. Cold air-conditioning. Nice stereo.

Redesign the car's cooling system and stop the use of Dexcool.

Great overall car, very reliable
By David

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car looking for a car that would start everytime. This car has yet to fail me. With regular scheduled maintnence i have not had to put any additional money into it. The car gets excellent fuel economy for the stress I put it through. I drove 300 miles with 3 other passengers with the AC on 5 the whole time there and i got 29 MPG highway. I thought that was awesome!

My added remote start and sound system. Other than that I would say my favorite feature is the dual cig lighters for additional accessories

I would like to see sound controls on the steering wheel. Also when you tip the center arm rest compartment thing up with change in it, it falls out the back. Also the cup holders in the back can let a can or something slide otu the side. Other than that car is great!

Candi's review
By CandyHarris

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Originally I bought it because it had four doors and could accomodate my aging parents comfortably. It did and still does. But it is nice to drive, smooth like a luxury car, yet drives more like my Camaro and has the interior room of a much larger car. I like my Malibu! I just wish I had gotten it in gold instead of green.

The leather interior, and remote door opener

Add a three disk CD changer, and climate control, even if only as options.