2002 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
it's OK
By shae weav on 01/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I like the malibu although, it is no eye stopper. I do not have any brake problems now, but i can tell they are coming on. I can alos attest to the rattling noise i can hear deep in the engine. and it does get louder.

Honda Who?
By tjv1974 on 12/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Love this Car! Chevy really did it's research. Drives beautifully! Feels like and quick, not like a traditional American car. Great styling. Doors shut firm, light. 4-Cylinder is extremely fast and powerful. Car is bigger than cars in it's class, yet lighter than most. Drives great!

READ THIS, IT COULD SAVE YOUR LIFE!
By amills on 12/10/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I owned a 2002 Malibu LS. This car is very dangerous to drive. The brakes on these cars are a joke. After reading the other comments left about 2000 cars which have the exact same kind of braking system, I see there is obviously a manufacturer's flaw. The reason I am even leaving a message is to warn anyone who is considering the purchase of this type of vehicle. I had a very bad accident due to brake failure. I had problems with the brakes 2 weeks after I purchased the car. The car was totalled in the accident & the air bags did not go off. I don't feel this car is safe by any stretch of the imagination.

Chev malibu is trash
By Syed on 12/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Bought an optimum vehicle since then I have nothing but troubles with this car, GM service sucks. My advise : buy a Japanese car that brings reliability, economy and good service with it. I am buying Japanese cars for the rest of my life.

Malibu
By Saguaro4321 on 11/17/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

So far, so good. It's easy to drive, I got a good price with no down payment, so I really can't complain.

Gone but NOT forgotten..........
By LJackson on 10/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I sadly had a wreck that totalled our 2002 Malibu last Wednesday. It was a very bad wreck with a fully loaded double-sized gravel truck hitting us on the rear passenger wheel. He was speeding along through a red light and hit us at roughly 50mph. The car withstood that awful impact so my son and I did not get hurt badly or worse yet- killed. We do have assorted bumps and bruises and a couple of very severe headaches but no broken bones, no serious cuts. The Malibu protected us beautifully- I'm glad to know it was such a safe car.

Great Value
By credman on 10/24/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Went from a '92 Lumina w/193,000 miles to a '02 Demo Malibu w/6,000 miles. Love my Malibu. Hope I don't have the same brake probs. w/the Malibu, but, judging from the comments here I just might have them. No one bothered to mention the Stainless Steel exhaust which NEVER got replaced on my Lumina, as well as the original shocks. Saved a small forune on them alone. Good power, plenty of space in the Malibu. Very much like it.

BANG FOR YOUR BUCK
By NYSEGUY on 10/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

An Accord it's not, but then again, for an extra $400 OTD price that I got this vehicle for over a 2002 Honda Accord Value Edition I got a V6, Power Everything, Keyless Entry, ABS....I could go on....suffice to say, well worth the $. It's not a head turner, but I was looking for a comfortable car my wife can shuttle my daughter around in that's safe too. For that purpose, it couldn't be a better vehicle. The only issue I have is the doors have been making a "grinding" sound, but I saw there is a TSB on that issue.

Real Sporty Sedan
By barry on 09/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I have a 2001 Chevy Mailbu LS. I love this car but its time for a new design since this vehicles made its appearance in 1997 not many changes have been made when many cars in its class have had total make overs. But in all this car is a great car my friends love it and i love it is my pride an joy. i have had only minor problems only the brakes had to be turned. I love this car.

Engine and brake problems
By TMoore2491 on 06/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Rattling noise deep in engine continually gets louder with time. Dealer (Ivan Leonard) says problem is piston wrist pins. Says can tear down engine and replace but noise will come back in about 5000 miles!! Now way to sell this thing with the noise or after rebuilt engine. I know others with same problem. For one person, dealer fixed twice but claims they can't hear a knocking noise on third round! Also, had front disks replaced at 5000 miles. Now they are warped at 20000 miles causing steering vibration when braking. Also make loud creaking noises when braking.