Used 2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

What were you thinking Chevy?
By Big Pine Man

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I love Chevys but not this one. This has been a terrible car for me. I have so far invested about 3000 dollars in repairs. Fuel pump went, heater core, complete ignition and ignition harness needed to be replaced because car would not start, antifreeze leak, rotors, and several other smaller repairs. All these repairs were done when the car had less than 90000 miles. I love my 1998 Cavalier and my 2008 Silverado, but I would never recommend this car.

Decent looking car, ok gas mileage.

Put in more than one cup holder, make seats more comfortable. Overall improve the reliability of this car and put out a recall on the antifreeze leak and the ignition problems these cars seem to be known for.

Not a pretty review
By Anderson

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

My experience with this car has been terrible! Started only when it felt like it. Unfortunately I have had to sink alot of money into this car for repairs. Its a decent car to drive. It only has one cup holder in front which is not a good thing for a passenger. So far, I have had to replace the entire ignition and harness, the fuel pump, brakes are junk, heater core, engine coolant seal, and numerous other smaller things. All these repairs were needed when the car had less than 90000 miles. I have approximately $3000 so far in repairs. It is currently in the shop as we speak.

The fin on the trunk. It's an OK looking car.

Most everything. I can't believe there was not a recall on the ignition. I hear a lot of people with the same problem. Needed more cup holders. Needs better quality overall. Way to much time in the shop!!

So far, junk!
By Anderson

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car brand new. The first couple years were ok. Today this car is the biggest regret for a car I have ever owned. First, the brakes were junk. Then the catalytic converter went, then the fuel pump, then the heater core, then a engine seal for the coolant, then the ignition module, then another set of brakes, and finally a #350 sensor for the computer that was also giving it starting troubles. I cant even remember the other stuff that has gone wrong. To date I have about $3000 to $4000 in repairs and the car only has 96,000 miles. I have a 08 Silverado and a 98 Cavalier and they are great vehicles. 02 Malibu is junk!

Decent looking car. That's about it. Gas mileage is decent.

GM, you need to re-design this car like some of your other more reliable vehicles like the older Cavalier. I have 175000 on my Cavalier with no major probs. Also, put more than one stinking cup holder in the front seat area. Wife is tired of having to hold her beverage on road trips.

Should have been recalled...
By Cathleen

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a used Malibu from CarMax a couple of years ago, and almost immediately had several problems with it not starting and needing antifreeze every few weeks. The Theft System was inappropriately making my car not start at random times, leaving me sitting for 10 minutes wherever and whenever, waiting for the system to restart. Also, the intake gasket will need to be replaced because GM used antifreeze that eats away at the gaskets in the engine. Check the Auto Beef website; I'm not the only one unfortunately. But other than these two BIG issues, the car is satisfactory in all other aspects.

Auto on/off headlighst, keyless entry, roomy interior, huge trunk.

Should not use/recommend dexcool as an antifreeze. Should have recalled car to fix the passlock (theft) system.

Best car that I ever owned
By MV

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I have covered 105,000 miles in the last 4 and a half years. Never had a single problem except for a plastic handrest breaking during warranty. Changed brakes once and spent $120 for the 100,000 mile service and changed all tires at 95,000 miles. My wife loves Japanese cars but after seeing my Chevy, she switched to GM as well. I am waiting for the 2008 Malibu to upgrade.

Ride on highway.

Looks like Chevy is making all these changes on the 2008 Malibu.