Used 2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Hard to Kill
By Brien

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Bought in '04 w/56000 miles. By November '08, car has 152,000 miles. Maintainence is key to a happy car. Oil changed every 3500 miles on the dot. Driven cross country and in flatlands, got 30+mpg. 25 in higher elevations. All milestone recommended services performed. Intake manifold gasket replaced after reading about class action lawsuit. (Dexcool decision). Waiting on my claim check. Changing seats to leather this week as old seats wore out. Windshield to go after winter due to "sandblasting" on highway. Can't see on sunny days. Car has passed all NY State Emission Inspections legitametly. What a surprise. Looking keep til it hits 200,000 miles or dies. Whichever comes first

Everything. Nosedived into rear of a BMW one day and did no damage to beamer. Only put crease in my hood. Had a deer hit drivers window in Kentucky at 1AM. Broke mirror lens and left teeth prints in drivers window. An amazing car for my first GM product. Been a Mopar fan all my life.

Better hubcap attachment design. They rattle. Replaced with super aftermarket caps. No more rattle. Spare tire well capable of handling a full spare. Better intake gasket to prevent class action alwsuits to begin with.

What were you thinking Chevy?
By Big Pine Man

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I love Chevys but not this one. This has been a terrible car for me. I have so far invested about 3000 dollars in repairs. Fuel pump went, heater core, complete ignition and ignition harness needed to be replaced because car would not start, antifreeze leak, rotors, and several other smaller repairs. All these repairs were done when the car had less than 90000 miles. I love my 1998 Cavalier and my 2008 Silverado, but I would never recommend this car.

Decent looking car, ok gas mileage.

Put in more than one cup holder, make seats more comfortable. Overall improve the reliability of this car and put out a recall on the antifreeze leak and the ignition problems these cars seem to be known for.

Not a pretty review
By Anderson

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

My experience with this car has been terrible! Started only when it felt like it. Unfortunately I have had to sink alot of money into this car for repairs. Its a decent car to drive. It only has one cup holder in front which is not a good thing for a passenger. So far, I have had to replace the entire ignition and harness, the fuel pump, brakes are junk, heater core, engine coolant seal, and numerous other smaller things. All these repairs were needed when the car had less than 90000 miles. I have approximately $3000 so far in repairs. It is currently in the shop as we speak.

The fin on the trunk. It's an OK looking car.

Most everything. I can't believe there was not a recall on the ignition. I hear a lot of people with the same problem. Needed more cup holders. Needs better quality overall. Way to much time in the shop!!

So far, junk!
By Anderson

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car brand new. The first couple years were ok. Today this car is the biggest regret for a car I have ever owned. First, the brakes were junk. Then the catalytic converter went, then the fuel pump, then the heater core, then a engine seal for the coolant, then the ignition module, then another set of brakes, and finally a #350 sensor for the computer that was also giving it starting troubles. I cant even remember the other stuff that has gone wrong. To date I have about $3000 to $4000 in repairs and the car only has 96,000 miles. I have a 08 Silverado and a 98 Cavalier and they are great vehicles. 02 Malibu is junk!

Decent looking car. That's about it. Gas mileage is decent.

GM, you need to re-design this car like some of your other more reliable vehicles like the older Cavalier. I have 175000 on my Cavalier with no major probs. Also, put more than one stinking cup holder in the front seat area. Wife is tired of having to hold her beverage on road trips.

Should have been recalled...
By Cathleen

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a used Malibu from CarMax a couple of years ago, and almost immediately had several problems with it not starting and needing antifreeze every few weeks. The Theft System was inappropriately making my car not start at random times, leaving me sitting for 10 minutes wherever and whenever, waiting for the system to restart. Also, the intake gasket will need to be replaced because GM used antifreeze that eats away at the gaskets in the engine. Check the Auto Beef website; I'm not the only one unfortunately. But other than these two BIG issues, the car is satisfactory in all other aspects.

Auto on/off headlighst, keyless entry, roomy interior, huge trunk.

Should not use/recommend dexcool as an antifreeze. Should have recalled car to fix the passlock (theft) system.

• SUV