2002 Chevrolet Malibu Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

2002 Malibu Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Sort Reviews by

Ideal Rental Car - Not a car to own
By solistide

2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Probably the plainest, drabbest vehicle that can be called a "car", an ideal vehicle for a rental lot -- doesn't stand out. Drives like a log on wheels, changing lanes is arduous, odd ignition placement: hard to reach in this car, blocked by oversized steering wheel. Horn pressure points on the SIDES of the wheel instead of the CENTER, and out-of-the-way placement of the drive stick. Problems I've had: ABS & brake system must be reset by dealer after any hard braking. Terrible handling, poorly designed seats, significant road and engine noise. But, it is also VERY safe, like putting an extremely heavy helmet on a baby's head when he first learns to walk.

Favorite Features

Plain, no one in their right mind would want to steal a car like this. Low insurance cost.

Suggested Improvements

Anything and everything.

Quality ... without the Japanese price!
By satisfied guy

2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

The only problem with my Malibu has been brakes. They were fixed several times by the dealer, at their expense. Last time was the charm as I have driven almost 15,000 miles since, with no further problems. The car handles well, is comfortable, and gets good gas mileage. I am very satisfied with this car

Favorite Features

I drive a lot and this car is very comfortable on long trips.

Suggested Improvements

It's a bit plain looking but I think it is better than the new design.

Second Review (luvmahcar)
By luvmahcar2

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Car now has 35670 miles and had to change some of the reviews. Have had it in twice for warranty. 1. to replace heater/ac controls (ac switched to outside air on its own accord). 2. Had the upper strut mount replaced. Still no break problems. I am pleased with the gas mileage of 31 on the road and 25 city. Interior integrity is still excellent. Hate the painted bumpers - high speed bug hits knock off the paint and it shows. Still, overall it is an excellent car and I am still very happy with it. Now, to see how the next 15,000 miles go!!!!!

2002 Chevvy Malibu
By olumide

2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

By itself, Chevvy Malibu is a fairly good car. However, when compared to other vehicles in its class like the Toyota Camry or Honda Accord, it is a crap. Acceleration is sluggish, the interior is an embarrasment and altogether is a non starter. By the time this vehicle is on 80miles/hr, it becomes very light, as if it is going to be blown off the road.

Favorite Features

All the doors are automatically locked as soon as you engage the gear.

Suggested Improvements

Improvements? The "all new Malibu" (and Max) of 2004 is most unimpressive. Anytime I see it, I have a good laugh and feel sorry for those who are expending their hard-earned $$ on a malibu.That car should be is simply not it.

Bad Chevy
By Bozenuts05

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

This is my first car that I have owned. I have never had so many problems with it. I am averaging a once a month in the shop. Many problems have been repeating, but GM can't fix them! This will be the last Chevy I will ever own, maybe even the last Domestic car I will ever own!

Favorite Features

The Radio is neat.

Suggested Improvements

Trash the Malibu, use your connections to Subaru and use that instead, then GM might have some growth. But until then, it sucks.

think twice
By kixfix

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

2002 malibu powertrain good economy good. Handling ok. Quality is not very good and other than the engine and transmison the rest of the car is falling apart!!!!!! The warranty is to short and GM does not stand behind what it builds. Biggest complaint the brakes are poorly designed and i can"t keep a set on the car. i om fixing to be on the 3rd set in 51000 miles.

Favorite Features

Engine transmisson economy stero

Suggested Improvements

Brakes Handling

2002 malibu owner
By ELOZA

2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I'VE HAD MY MALIBU FOR 3 YEARS AND LOVE IT MY SISTER A 1997 MALIBU THAT'S WHY I BOUGHT MINE THE TIMES SHE LENT ME HER'S I AUTOMATICALLY KNEW I WOULD GET ME ONE

Favorite Features

EVEYTHING ABOUT IT IS GREAT!

Suggested Improvements

THE ONLY PROBLEM I HAD WAS ELECTRICAL THATS WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO SEE IMPROVEMENTS ON. (MINOR PROBLEMS THAT WERE FIXED RIGHT AWAY

Malibu Baby
By Candie

2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

This car is the best car i have ever driven. it's not too big and not too small it's really good locking and it drives smooth and comfortable this is a really wonderful car.

Favorite Features

The sunroof cruise control, rear spiler, interior seating

Suggested Improvements

None everything seems fine

I'm Happy
By DesertAnne

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

So far so good. For the money it's a good car. I haven't had any problems, I love the stereo and it handles well. My only complaint is the lack of pickup, too bad they didn't offer a manual transmission. Other than that I love the car.

Favorite Features

Cruises well on the freeway, the doors automat. lock when you start the car. The stereo sounds great. I've had to move and it's amazing how much you can fit in one trip.

Suggested Improvements

Gear the transmission a little higher or lower so it revs up faster or offer a manual.

I love this car!!
By itsgeetee

2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my Malibu for 18 months now and I love it. I have all the options expect the engine heating block and the gold package, and I have not had any problems. It is fun to drive and very comfortable.

Favorite Features

Sunroof. Power everything!

Suggested Improvements

Heated seats would be nice!