Used 2002 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Malibu Stinks
By EJH

2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this vehicle brand new. Did all maintenance by the book, and had like many others--antifreeze leak-- then at just 86K miles the engine blew. Tried to work with GM--no luck--my one regret--I didn't join the class action law suit regarding the intake manifold problem!

leather seats/split trunk

Make a car that will run over 85K miles without major repairs needed

Warning
By ms31021

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I have had many problems with this car intake manifold gasket, brakes and its running hot. At this moment it is in the shop for the third time in 3 years.

Cupholders in the back for my children to use. Auto headlights. Spacious trunk.

Better quality of materials used to build the engine. Recall the intake manifold gasket.

Good car until later in life
By Sam

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this brand new in Dec 2001. Overall it was an excellent car. Our family fit well in it and the car was largely free of problems until recently. About a month ago we found out it had the dreaded intake manifold leak possibly due to the orange Dexcool coolant. It was expensive to fix, and there was no guarantee against it happening again, let alone other engine damage. We traded on a Honda. If hadn't developed the Dexcool problem, we'd still have it today.

Comfortable, roomy. Got close to 30 MPG on the highway. Reliable until later in years.

Improve brakes; eliminate use of Dexcool

Never left stranded
By jtucker

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car in October of 2003. Its had brake pads, rotors, and calipers. The A/C hasnt worked since around 36,000 and GM wouldnt cover it. Also i avoided the dexcool related problems by replacing it around 60K with a Prestone Universal coolant. Also the car has very poor electrical systems. (replaced over 30 lights) Other than those things, its been great, never left me stranded. I bought it because of the deal I got on it.

Easy to work on..

Brakes, electrical and A/C

Love it but have had problems
By Tx_DreamWeaver

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the car at 37000 miles and drove it thru several states and Canada (about 8000 miles total), and couldn't ask for a better ride or drive, but the brake pedal went too low before I got back. I took it to the dealer, and because it happened in the 3000 mi/30 day warranty on used cars, they supposedly fixed the brakes. They didn't feel any different after, and I know the brakes and rotors need replacement now. I had the same problem as others with the no start or shutting down while driving. Just paid $500 for new ignition switch. Only time will tell if it recurs, or if I get the engine leak problem too!

Great suspension system, ride, handling.

Besides above problems, fix the flaking paint on the bumper so the car wash don't blow pieces off along with the bugs! Better support on outside eadge of drivers seat so it don't bend outward. Better cup holders in back, and another in front pass side!