2002 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
Not what I expected
By Nicole on 01/28/06 21:01 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

When I bought my Malibu I thought I was buying a reliable American car. That is not what I got. Ever since I got the car there has been problem after problem. I am tired of repairing this vehicle and will never buy a Chevrolet again because of this.

Great quality car
By Mary on 01/11/06 11:40 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

The interior is very good quality, material on seats very durable. I drove this car as a rental and then bought it when I needed to get a car because I liked it so much. I saw other reviews where they needed brakes after 15K miles, but I just got the front ones replaced at 43K, and the back ones are still OK, so I don't know. Only thing is the intake manifold gasket had to be replaced at 43K, which is sooner than normal on most cars, and I don't know the reason for that but apparently it's common.

Look and Drive of More Expensive Car
By Frank Provasek on 11/02/05 07:52 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car new for $16,000. Everyone who I showed it to and let ride in it guessed $22,000 to $25,000. Average 24 MPG with 3.1 litre V-6.

Great little car
By mm on 09/15/05 21:56 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Have driven it for three years and it has not been in the shop for anything other than a burned out headlight. Has been very dependable and is really a nice car on the road as well as in town.

Chevrolet Malibu has been a disaster
By Al on 08/17/05 23:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Our 2002 Chevrolet Malibu has had many problems. It is slow to accelerate and noisy. The brakes went out on it twice. The air conditioner stops cooling at random and the dealer showed me a bulletin that said that was OK, so they could not fix it. It's always been hard to start, but no warranty repair was made. Now it just went out of warranty and the car won't. It cranks, but no start. This is the worst car I've ever owned.

Repair costs $2,200 for 2005 (so far)
By Dave on 07/25/05 17:26 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

This car was poorly built. This car requires new brakes every 15K miles and new rotors every 30K miles. I followed all recommendations for maintaining my vehicle per the owner's manual. Once the car hit 60K miles, it started to fall apart completely. In the last two years I have had to bring my car to the mechanic for repairs eight times (thank goodness for AAA)!The cost of repairs for 2004: $1,200. The cost for repairs through 7/05 $2,200. List of items needing repairs: ignition switch(2x), ignition cylinder, manifold intake gasket, antifreeze cap, A/Cc. I will not be purchasing another Chevy, or any product built by GM,. They just couldn't discount it enough for me to take the risk!

2002 Chevy Malibu LS
By Jeff Edstrom on 07/18/05 13:49 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I just bought a 2002 Chevy Malibu on ebay. I was kind of hesitant about buying a car on ebay, but it was a smokin' deal and it worked out really well! This blue book on this car was about $9,000 and on ebay i bought it for $5,000. It was a great deal and it is a great car! I love it! it drives great and it's perfect for my son. I love it! I'd recommend it to anyone who is interested in buying a Malibu!

best car I've had
By mike on 06/29/05 14:36 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

This is an outstanding car. It's never let me down. A little standard maintenance, and it runs great, handles perfectly, has real pick-up, and the control has gotten me out of scrapes other cars would've never gotten out of (I know; I've had a lot of cars).

Just middle of the road
By slimjim on 04/29/05 18:59 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my Malibu for 3 years now and I can tell you it is good all around transportation. It is just about the right size. Has all the right options. I have the LS so it has most of the toys I like having. One complaint I do have with the car is I had to replace the brakes and rotors with only 34000 miles and I blame that one on GM. So, knocking on wood, I can say this has been a rather trouble free car so far. I hope it stays that way.

I've owned two
By Scott on 03/16/05 16:15 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I really like my Malibus. Occasionally they have had some repairs needed - A/C switch, blink switch, door switch. But Overall I'm very, very pleased. Great pickup and go and excellent handling a high speeds in the rain - (freeway driving). The 2002 realy hugs the road well. I did buy the extended warranty. My dealership (Thorobred in Arizona) takes GREAT care of me. Best service of any company I've ever dealt with. I'd buy another !!!! (Many who boo hoo are asian supporters)