Used 2002 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet Malibu

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Many, many problems
By jodi7

2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car about a year ago, in that time I have replaced tires, brakes, fuel pump, blinker switch, battery, oil pump switch, intake manifold, gasket, water pump, and currently the head gasket is also leaking. The car continues to have an electrical problem, sometimes the windows will power up or down, sometimes not, only half of the lights work, and the car has a continous intermittant starting problem that cannot be fixed, I never know if I'll be sitting for an hour or two waiting for this car to start. currently the car is broken down, I've decided not to fix the head gasket and as someone who loves american cars I'll be looking to buy a japanese car for my next one.

Favorite Features

when the car starts and runs without problems

Suggested Improvements

Have everything actually work the way its supposed to.

OMG! What is not wrong with this junk?
By Jacki

2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Everything that everyone has been saying. Brakes, fuel pump, brakes, engine, brakes. You get my point.

Favorite Features

Sleek look

Don't
By LS

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I got this car for my 16th birthday with about 40k on it. Immediately, we had to replace the computer in it, as well as the ignition switch. Then the brakes went out. Then I had a leak in my engine coolant (too expensive to repair at the time- $800++, and still unfixed). Then the catalytic converter. Then the fuel pump. Then the brakes again. Then the theft system shorted out. Then the ignition switch again. Now, the computer is acting up again... I have to reset the computer each time before I start it. It only has 96k on it now. We have spent at least $5k in repairs on this car. Probably more. My dad just bought a new Malibu, and it seems nice though. Time will tell. I won't buy 1.

Favorite Features

Automatic lights & windows. car stereo stays on until the driver opens the door.

Suggested Improvements

Everything.

No one ever writes anything positive
By Melissa

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Overall this has been a great car for me, driven cross country numerous times (Florida to Wisconsin/Wisconsin-Florida) at least 10 round-trips. Traveling for job (1500 miles/week). In it's later years, some more maintenance issues, but with a little prevention, and well cared for it can go. In the 5 years I've owned it, have put $1500 into the car for repairs outside of general maintenance.

Favorite Features

Trunk size, comfort for long road trips, common engine, parts readily assessable if a repair is needed

Suggested Improvements

Trunk has plenty of space, but the opening to get in/out of trunk could be better designed, split fold down seats (but I believe that is an option on some cars), I have two cup holders...not sure what others are talking about and I have the lower end option car

Disgruntled owner :(
By unhappy discruntald

2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

have owned this car for 7yrs in those 7yrs this car has been ridiculously a pain!! its had engine problems over heating brakes electrical you name its gone wrong..i'm very unhappy with this car.with every little money i get it has gone into this vehicle and to tell you the truth its not worth it!! if its not one thing its another (thank you AAA) just recently my trunk will not open and the brakes are failing!!!

Favorite Features

the car looks good on the outside,the radio/cd is excellent..interior of this car is nice!

Suggested Improvements

that they recall this model and year!! i suggest no one take a chance on this car...