2002 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
What were you thinking Chevy?
By Big Pine Man on 08/25/08 23:14 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I love Chevys but not this one. This has been a terrible car for me. I have so far invested about 3000 dollars in repairs. Fuel pump went, heater core, complete ignition and ignition harness needed to be replaced because car would not start, antifreeze leak, rotors, and several other smaller repairs. All these repairs were done when the car had less than 90000 miles. I love my 1998 Cavalier and my 2008 Silverado, but I would never recommend this car.

Not a pretty review
By Anderson on 08/05/08 17:51 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

My experience with this car has been terrible! Started only when it felt like it. Unfortunately I have had to sink alot of money into this car for repairs. Its a decent car to drive. It only has one cup holder in front which is not a good thing for a passenger. So far, I have had to replace the entire ignition and harness, the fuel pump, brakes are junk, heater core, engine coolant seal, and numerous other smaller things. All these repairs were needed when the car had less than 90000 miles. I have approximately $3000 so far in repairs. It is currently in the shop as we speak.

So far, junk!
By Anderson on 07/03/08 09:41 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car brand new. The first couple years were ok. Today this car is the biggest regret for a car I have ever owned. First, the brakes were junk. Then the catalytic converter went, then the fuel pump, then the heater core, then a engine seal for the coolant, then the ignition module, then another set of brakes, and finally a #350 sensor for the computer that was also giving it starting troubles. I cant even remember the other stuff that has gone wrong. To date I have about $3000 to $4000 in repairs and the car only has 96,000 miles. I have a 08 Silverado and a 98 Cavalier and they are great vehicles. 02 Malibu is junk!

Should have been recalled...
By Cathleen on 07/02/07 20:40 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a used Malibu from CarMax a couple of years ago, and almost immediately had several problems with it not starting and needing antifreeze every few weeks. The Theft System was inappropriately making my car not start at random times, leaving me sitting for 10 minutes wherever and whenever, waiting for the system to restart. Also, the intake gasket will need to be replaced because GM used antifreeze that eats away at the gaskets in the engine. Check the Auto Beef website; I'm not the only one unfortunately. But other than these two BIG issues, the car is satisfactory in all other aspects.

Best car that I ever owned
By MV on 05/05/07 00:29 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I have covered 105,000 miles in the last 4 and a half years. Never had a single problem except for a plastic handrest breaking during warranty. Changed brakes once and spent $120 for the 100,000 mile service and changed all tires at 95,000 miles. My wife loves Japanese cars but after seeing my Chevy, she switched to GM as well. I am waiting for the 2008 Malibu to upgrade.

Malibu shows its age
By dcsc08 on 03/05/07 19:52 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

My Malibu developed ignition problems just after the warranty ran out. Brakes are poorly designed and underpowered. Now at 80000 miles, it developed a cooling leak in the manifold which necessitates that the manifold gaskets be replaced at a cost of over $1200.00

Engine Trouble At Sixty Thousand Miles
By Switched to Honda on 12/12/06 10:22 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

For three years the Malibu was a wonderful car to own. I liked the engine power and the extremely comfortable driver seat. However, the car started developing severe coolant- related engine problems at 60,000 miles. I did some research and discovered that this is a common occurance with Malibus. Last week I traded it off and bought a brand new Honda. If you buy a Malibu, you will eventually have coolant-related engine problems. I faithfully maintained mine and it still happened. The Malibu has a serious design flaw in its cooling system. Buy at your own risk.

Great overall car, very reliable
By David on 07/18/06 20:01 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car looking for a car that would start everytime. This car has yet to fail me. With regular scheduled maintnence i have not had to put any additional money into it. The car gets excellent fuel economy for the stress I put it through. I drove 300 miles with 3 other passengers with the AC on 5 the whole time there and i got 29 MPG highway. I thought that was awesome!

Candi's review
By CandyHarris on 04/05/06 09:25 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Originally I bought it because it had four doors and could accomodate my aging parents comfortably. It did and still does. But it is nice to drive, smooth like a luxury car, yet drives more like my Camaro and has the interior room of a much larger car. I like my Malibu! I just wish I had gotten it in gold instead of green.

It Goes and Goes
By Howard on 02/25/06 11:30 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Over 100K miles and it has yet to break down. The only mechanical problem so far was when an electrical problem caused the fan not to work at the lower speeds. This is my concept of a luxury car. Although nothing about it is spectacular, there is nothing that is truly deficient. It still runs just about as smoothly as the day I bought it.