2002 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
Not Worth the $$$
By summergal126 on 01/21/10 18:50 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

The theft system on this car is always going off and will not turn on until at least 10 min. later. Took it to the dealership and was told that there was nothing they could do about it. Also the turn signal continually clicks for about 10 seconds after making a turn, Chevy said there was nothing they could do about this either. The car drives well but does not get great gas mileage or do well in snow.

Not the best, not the worst
By Alma on 01/19/10 22:08 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I've had the car for almost three years. It gets very great gas mileage, usually around 25-27 with city/highway mix. The brakes usually need changed every year, and still are not the greatest. If you have the money, upgrade to drilled rotors and yellow stuff brake pads. I've replaced alot of minor things, but nothing major. The seats are comfy, but the cloth is made cheap. The car has a good amount of horses, for a V6, and the gas pedal is very touchy. This car handles very well on wet/icy/snowy roads. The car has enough room to fit 4 friends comfy.

I Hate This Car
By Troubled Diva on 08/08/09 15:02 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

For about the first year I had the car I had no problems with it. Now it seems like soon as you get something fixed, something else is going wrong with it. First thing on the car to go was the signal light chip, which cost $100.00 at the dealer to replace. Then the brakes went out. Changed the brake pads, and a month later they needed replaced to the the brake caliper going out, then had to smooth out the roaders. Then a few months later the cadillac converter went. Had to change tran fluid at 100,000. Spark plugs at 111,000. Currently the check engine light is back on. Also speakers blew out, and cd player spits out cds. Next car I get will for sure be a Ford product, no more GM for me!!!!

Good Car!
By jaytee1984 on 07/03/09 15:20 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car in College with 49k. It now has 88k and have only had minor problems, the fuel pump went out at 86k, and the blinkers won't work every once in a while. Also the check engine light randomly comes on for a day or two. The first 2 years I had this car i drove it a lot and have only had to do regular maint. and it is a great little car, wish I would have gotten the sunroof tho.

Malibu Stinks
By EJH on 06/20/09 05:42 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this vehicle brand new. Did all maintenance by the book, and had like many others--antifreeze leak-- then at just 86K miles the engine blew. Tried to work with GM--no luck--my one regret--I didn't join the class action law suit regarding the intake manifold problem!

Warning
By ms31021 on 03/06/09 09:30 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I have had many problems with this car intake manifold gasket, brakes and its running hot. At this moment it is in the shop for the third time in 3 years.

Good car until later in life
By Sam on 03/05/09 08:19 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this brand new in Dec 2001. Overall it was an excellent car. Our family fit well in it and the car was largely free of problems until recently. About a month ago we found out it had the dreaded intake manifold leak possibly due to the orange Dexcool coolant. It was expensive to fix, and there was no guarantee against it happening again, let alone other engine damage. We traded on a Honda. If hadn't developed the Dexcool problem, we'd still have it today.

Never left stranded
By jtucker on 01/18/09 17:48 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car in October of 2003. Its had brake pads, rotors, and calipers. The A/C hasnt worked since around 36,000 and GM wouldnt cover it. Also i avoided the dexcool related problems by replacing it around 60K with a Prestone Universal coolant. Also the car has very poor electrical systems. (replaced over 30 lights) Other than those things, its been great, never left me stranded. I bought it because of the deal I got on it.

Love it but have had problems
By Tx_DreamWeaver on 01/13/09 22:39 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the car at 37000 miles and drove it thru several states and Canada (about 8000 miles total), and couldn't ask for a better ride or drive, but the brake pedal went too low before I got back. I took it to the dealer, and because it happened in the 3000 mi/30 day warranty on used cars, they supposedly fixed the brakes. They didn't feel any different after, and I know the brakes and rotors need replacement now. I had the same problem as others with the no start or shutting down while driving. Just paid $500 for new ignition switch. Only time will tell if it recurs, or if I get the engine leak problem too!

Hard to Kill
By Brien on 11/24/08 21:23 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Bought in '04 w/56000 miles. By November '08, car has 152,000 miles. Maintainence is key to a happy car. Oil changed every 3500 miles on the dot. Driven cross country and in flatlands, got 30+mpg. 25 in higher elevations. All milestone recommended services performed. Intake manifold gasket replaced after reading about class action lawsuit. (Dexcool decision). Waiting on my claim check. Changing seats to leather this week as old seats wore out. Windshield to go after winter due to "sandblasting" on highway. Can't see on sunny days. Car has passed all NY State Emission Inspections legitametly. What a surprise. Looking keep til it hits 200,000 miles or dies. Whichever comes first