Used 2002 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Never a Chevy Again!
By bfairchild

2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Worst care ever. Lower intake manifold seal replaced for $1100 due to dex-cool eating apart the gasket. Turn signal shorted due to the hazard switch that Chevy decided to put right next to the a/c vents where it could accumulate moister. Why they wired the signal switch to the hazard switch just shows what type of corners they cut in manufacturing. A/C blower replaced. Random beeps heard from the stereo. Intake manifold gasket started leaking again and required constant coolant. It was just disappearing from the car! Went through tires every 5,000 miles. They never wore evenly despite an alignment and balance. Chevy should have stepped up and recalled this car. Last Chevy I ever Buy

There was so much more wrong with this car that I couldnt fit in the review. There was very little I liked. The trunk was very big, and the sunroof was nice and the stereo was fantastic.

Chevy should just stop making cars. There is a reason they had to be bailed out. Im so glad I got rid of my chevy and bought a Ford! The malibu is an extremely dangerous car to drive! The geniuses thought it would be a good idea to have the overflow tank pour out right next to the serpentine belt. When it gets wet and slips, you loose power steering! I will never own a Chevy again! I hope people stop buying there piles of junk, and everyone looses there jobs that they don't deserve to have in the first place.

Good Car
By ajscott

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car with about 110K on it. I've had this car for about 3 years now and it has over 130K on it. So far really nothing has gone wrong with it just needed to fix the gas cap once which was no more than a hundred bucks and the brake pads twice so far. But overall no engine problems. The car drives smoothly but a bit heavy (which I prefer). As long as you get it in for your yearly service nothing should go wrong. It's a great car and will get the job done. Just a little bit of rusting on the body but overall engine sounds great and never anything major. GREAT CAR!!!

The car that ruined my love for Chevy
By sparkles4

2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car from a little old lady who lived next door to me and only drove it to bingo. I got it around 60K. As it neared 100K everything started to go. Catalytic, engine stuff, electrical problems galore. I spent almost $2K in repairs in one month on it. Now the transmission & brakes are about to go and my A/C just quit today. I wish I wouldn't have put the $2K in. I could've used it as a down payment on something better! I do like the layout of the car, though. It is a very roomy sedan and everything is easily accessible.

The storage space between the driver's and passenger's seats makes a nice armrest! Cassette player, because it's honestly the easiest and most flawless way to play my Ipod in the car.

Make the car more reliable in the mechanical aspects. I am scared to drive it for fear of it breaking down.

This car has been nothing but trouble
By rjb1012

2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

My parents bought this car for me from a friend of my grandma's when I first got my license at 16. It had about 50k miles. Since day one, it has been nothing but a money pit. For the past 3 years, it has gone in the shop at least twice a year for repairs. The first problem that I encountered was that the air condition would always switch to outside air at random, and when it did that, it would shut the air condition off for a couple minutes. Then the next major problem was that the brakes needed to replaced. All this in just the 1st year of owning the car. Next year the brakes were at it AGAIN. This year, the intake gasket needs to be replaced AND the air condition is broken again.

Nice interior, rides well when it actually works.

Chevrolet needs to do a quality check on what they're putting out. My problems that I have had have obviously been very common problems with other Malibu owners (I learned this by reading these other reviews and reviews on other websites). I would not buy this car again, and probably won't ever buy another chevy again. I honestly don't know what I'm going to do now because I can't afford another car, but I'm having to spend more money on this car than it's worth just to keep it running. As soon as I can get rid of it, I will.

A Car Don't
By rsg71

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car in 2005, and it has been in the shop nearly every year. Last year, it was in the shop 3 times, and it it would be on it's way again if I wasn't getting rid of it! The fuel pump, lower intake gasket, anti-theft sensor that won't turn off (the key IS in the ignition), and then some routine maintenance things. I don't mind paying routine up keep of a car, but the parts and labor is outrageous for the most basic things! The thing that appalls me the most- Chevy KNOWS about these problems but has done nothing to make it right by their customers. Will not own GM again.

The interior is roomy.

Deal with known issues. Lower intake gasket that goes out because of Dex-Cool anti-freeze that is required. Anti-theft system that won't turn off or let the car start even though the key is in the ignition because of known tumbler issues. The insane cost of parts.

• SUV