Used 2002 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Good Car
By ajscott

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car with about 110K on it. I've had this car for about 3 years now and it has over 130K on it. So far really nothing has gone wrong with it just needed to fix the gas cap once which was no more than a hundred bucks and the brake pads twice so far. But overall no engine problems. The car drives smoothly but a bit heavy (which I prefer). As long as you get it in for your yearly service nothing should go wrong. It's a great car and will get the job done. Just a little bit of rusting on the body but overall engine sounds great and never anything major. GREAT CAR!!!

The car that ruined my love for Chevy
By sparkles4

2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car from a little old lady who lived next door to me and only drove it to bingo. I got it around 60K. As it neared 100K everything started to go. Catalytic, engine stuff, electrical problems galore. I spent almost $2K in repairs in one month on it. Now the transmission & brakes are about to go and my A/C just quit today. I wish I wouldn't have put the $2K in. I could've used it as a down payment on something better! I do like the layout of the car, though. It is a very roomy sedan and everything is easily accessible.

The storage space between the driver's and passenger's seats makes a nice armrest! Cassette player, because it's honestly the easiest and most flawless way to play my Ipod in the car.

Make the car more reliable in the mechanical aspects. I am scared to drive it for fear of it breaking down.

This car has been nothing but trouble
By rjb1012

2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

My parents bought this car for me from a friend of my grandma's when I first got my license at 16. It had about 50k miles. Since day one, it has been nothing but a money pit. For the past 3 years, it has gone in the shop at least twice a year for repairs. The first problem that I encountered was that the air condition would always switch to outside air at random, and when it did that, it would shut the air condition off for a couple minutes. Then the next major problem was that the brakes needed to replaced. All this in just the 1st year of owning the car. Next year the brakes were at it AGAIN. This year, the intake gasket needs to be replaced AND the air condition is broken again.

Nice interior, rides well when it actually works.

Chevrolet needs to do a quality check on what they're putting out. My problems that I have had have obviously been very common problems with other Malibu owners (I learned this by reading these other reviews and reviews on other websites). I would not buy this car again, and probably won't ever buy another chevy again. I honestly don't know what I'm going to do now because I can't afford another car, but I'm having to spend more money on this car than it's worth just to keep it running. As soon as I can get rid of it, I will.

A Car Don't
By rsg71

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car in 2005, and it has been in the shop nearly every year. Last year, it was in the shop 3 times, and it it would be on it's way again if I wasn't getting rid of it! The fuel pump, lower intake gasket, anti-theft sensor that won't turn off (the key IS in the ignition), and then some routine maintenance things. I don't mind paying routine up keep of a car, but the parts and labor is outrageous for the most basic things! The thing that appalls me the most- Chevy KNOWS about these problems but has done nothing to make it right by their customers. Will not own GM again.

The interior is roomy.

Deal with known issues. Lower intake gasket that goes out because of Dex-Cool anti-freeze that is required. Anti-theft system that won't turn off or let the car start even though the key is in the ignition because of known tumbler issues. The insane cost of parts.

What a waste of$
By megsymc

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I find it comical how similar everyone's story's are. I have to laugh because this car has been a nightmare. The electronic issue is just ridiculous, no one should have to wait ten minutes to start their car because the car thinks someone's trying to steal it. I have only owned the car for a little over a yr & put nearly $3K into it. Fuel pump, gasket, water pump, coolant leak, brakes, catilitic convertor, spark plugs... you name it I've fixed it. I refuse to fix the electronic cylander or put new tires on it. Don't ever buy this car. I wouldn't even sell it to someone. I'm junking it.

NONE

The electronic system should be completely different so the car doesn't think it's being stolen.