2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
A Car Don't
By rsg71 on 05/25/11 04:39 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car in 2005, and it has been in the shop nearly every year. Last year, it was in the shop 3 times, and it it would be on it's way again if I wasn't getting rid of it! The fuel pump, lower intake gasket, anti-theft sensor that won't turn off (the key IS in the ignition), and then some routine maintenance things. I don't mind paying routine up keep of a car, but the parts and labor is outrageous for the most basic things! The thing that appalls me the most- Chevy KNOWS about these problems but has done nothing to make it right by their customers. Will not own GM again.

What a waste of$
By megsymc on 03/16/11 13:20 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I find it comical how similar everyone's story's are. I have to laugh because this car has been a nightmare. The electronic issue is just ridiculous, no one should have to wait ten minutes to start their car because the car thinks someone's trying to steal it. I have only owned the car for a little over a yr & put nearly $3K into it. Fuel pump, gasket, water pump, coolant leak, brakes, catilitic convertor, spark plugs... you name it I've fixed it. I refuse to fix the electronic cylander or put new tires on it. Don't ever buy this car. I wouldn't even sell it to someone. I'm junking it.

Many, many problems
By jodi7 on 02/21/11 09:36 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car about a year ago, in that time I have replaced tires, brakes, fuel pump, blinker switch, battery, oil pump switch, intake manifold, gasket, water pump, and currently the head gasket is also leaking. The car continues to have an electrical problem, sometimes the windows will power up or down, sometimes not, only half of the lights work, and the car has a continous intermittant starting problem that cannot be fixed, I never know if I'll be sitting for an hour or two waiting for this car to start. currently the car is broken down, I've decided not to fix the head gasket and as someone who loves american cars I'll be looking to buy a japanese car for my next one.

OMG! What is not wrong with this junk?
By Jacki on 11/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Everything that everyone has been saying. Brakes, fuel pump, brakes, engine, brakes. You get my point.

Don't
By LS on 06/17/10 19:45 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I got this car for my 16th birthday with about 40k on it. Immediately, we had to replace the computer in it, as well as the ignition switch. Then the brakes went out. Then I had a leak in my engine coolant (too expensive to repair at the time- $800++, and still unfixed). Then the catalytic converter. Then the fuel pump. Then the brakes again. Then the theft system shorted out. Then the ignition switch again. Now, the computer is acting up again... I have to reset the computer each time before I start it. It only has 96k on it now. We have spent at least $5k in repairs on this car. Probably more. My dad just bought a new Malibu, and it seems nice though. Time will tell. I won't buy 1.

No one ever writes anything positive
By Melissa on 05/06/10 11:23 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Overall this has been a great car for me, driven cross country numerous times (Florida to Wisconsin/Wisconsin-Florida) at least 10 round-trips. Traveling for job (1500 miles/week). In it's later years, some more maintenance issues, but with a little prevention, and well cared for it can go. In the 5 years I've owned it, have put $1500 into the car for repairs outside of general maintenance.

Disgruntled owner :(
By unhappy discruntald on 02/18/10 21:29 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

have owned this car for 7yrs in those 7yrs this car has been ridiculously a pain!! its had engine problems over heating brakes electrical you name its gone wrong..i'm very unhappy with this car.with every little money i get it has gone into this vehicle and to tell you the truth its not worth it!! if its not one thing its another (thank you AAA) just recently my trunk will not open and the brakes are failing!!!

Not Worth the $$$
By summergal126 on 01/21/10 18:50 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

The theft system on this car is always going off and will not turn on until at least 10 min. later. Took it to the dealership and was told that there was nothing they could do about it. Also the turn signal continually clicks for about 10 seconds after making a turn, Chevy said there was nothing they could do about this either. The car drives well but does not get great gas mileage or do well in snow.

Not the best, not the worst
By Alma on 01/19/10 22:08 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I've had the car for almost three years. It gets very great gas mileage, usually around 25-27 with city/highway mix. The brakes usually need changed every year, and still are not the greatest. If you have the money, upgrade to drilled rotors and yellow stuff brake pads. I've replaced alot of minor things, but nothing major. The seats are comfy, but the cloth is made cheap. The car has a good amount of horses, for a V6, and the gas pedal is very touchy. This car handles very well on wet/icy/snowy roads. The car has enough room to fit 4 friends comfy.

I Hate This Car
By Troubled Diva on 08/08/09 15:02 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

For about the first year I had the car I had no problems with it. Now it seems like soon as you get something fixed, something else is going wrong with it. First thing on the car to go was the signal light chip, which cost $100.00 at the dealer to replace. Then the brakes went out. Changed the brake pads, and a month later they needed replaced to the the brake caliper going out, then had to smooth out the roaders. Then a few months later the cadillac converter went. Had to change tran fluid at 100,000. Spark plugs at 111,000. Currently the check engine light is back on. Also speakers blew out, and cd player spits out cds. Next car I get will for sure be a Ford product, no more GM for me!!!!