Used 2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews - 99 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

I regret buying this car!
By ck1102

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I usually don't leave reviews like this, but maybe I will save someone from the headache of owning this piece. I bought my 02 Malibu in 2010, and it only had 80k miles on it. Now, with 130k miles and regular checkups, I've had to replace the ignition switch, fuel pump and filter, water pump, the wheel baring twice, the master cylinder and entire brake system, oxygen sensor, the throttle body sensor, the temperature gauge, spark plugs,2 speakers, 2 batteries, 2 sets of brand new tires, and the door handle. This adds up to a significantly higher amount than the car is actually worth, and guess what? My head gasket just blew and flooded my entire engine. Thanks, Chevy, thanks a lot.

Perhaps Chevy should start paying people to drive the Malibu, since mine and a co-worker's seem to have all the same issues and nobody should ever spend any money them.

No problems
By juan_d

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

bought at 87,000 miles I haven't had any mechanical issues after a year. I drive it almost every day for 100+ miles as a delivery driver. I think the only people that review this car are the ones that are pissed that it isn't working how a car should.

This car is a [non-permissible content removed]
By pag_089

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Malibu in September 2010, and immediately the problems started. I can't even begin to think of the number of times this car has been in the shop. So far, I've spent over $5,000 on it out of pocket, and that's not counting the work that was performed under the dealer's warranty.
This car is nothing but a money pit. I'm telling everybody I know to avoid this car, and to avoid Chevrolet in general like the plague. They produce poor quality vehichles and don't stand by their work.

I like when I turn the key and the engine starts. This happens about 60% of the time.

This car makes a good lawn decoration. Suggest installing a bird bath on the roof.

Terrific bang for your dollar!
By stfdc00069

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I will preface my comments with this: I do not trust GM for a second and was very sceptical when buying this vehicle and fully expected a potential headache.
I purchased this car used in 2009 at 58,000km (36,000 miles).
Presently I have 84,000km (52,000miles) on it plus 10 Canadian winters.
Replaced original tires at 80,000km.
Battery went last year, also original.
Replaced brakes once only because I wanted new pads and discs in the face of approaching harsh Canadian winter.
You really couldn't ask for more.
This car so far cost me $5k for three years of ownership.
Taking a bus woudl have been more expensive!
Absolutely love it!
Go GM!
Terrific value for not much dollar

Handling, acceleration, decent gas mileage for a 6cyl. engine. Very spacious, particularly the back seat. Surprisingly reliable. The front seats are absolutely terrific and a long drive means absolutely nothing to my back. Previously owned Honda, Toyota, other GM cars (mostly Chevy), Jeep and Ford.

Center console design needs improvement. Nothing wrong with it per se but could have been more spacious and better thought out.

Makes my miss my Ford Taurus.
By ephrata_1992

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been in my family for 4 years my mom had it from 08' to 11' I have been driving it since 2011. She got it with 59K on it. I got it with 92K on it, It now has 111K on it. Over the 4 years we have put $2000 into it with repairs and general up keep. The typical Malibu "problems" have happened to it like the Cat, turn signal, 4 way flashers. Have not had any brake problems yet I'm mainly thinking some people that have these are hard on their brakes that's why they keep spending on them.
The interior is amazingly cheap and uncomfortable. With the right tires the car does to excellent in the snow. Car lets you hear a ton of road noise.

The aftermarket radio/CD/MP3 player that the previous owner installed.

Chevrolet could have done way better. They really took they cheap way out with the 2002, the interior is poorly designed and put together. The tacky Chevrolet bow tie design on the seats is just ugly and shows dirt way too easily.