2002 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
Good Car
By ajscott on 10/14/11 18:38 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car with about 110K on it. I've had this car for about 3 years now and it has over 130K on it. So far really nothing has gone wrong with it just needed to fix the gas cap once which was no more than a hundred bucks and the brake pads twice so far. But overall no engine problems. The car drives smoothly but a bit heavy (which I prefer). As long as you get it in for your yearly service nothing should go wrong. It's a great car and will get the job done. Just a little bit of rusting on the body but overall engine sounds great and never anything major. GREAT CAR!!!

The car that ruined my love for Chevy
By sparkles4 on 09/28/11 15:47 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car from a little old lady who lived next door to me and only drove it to bingo. I got it around 60K. As it neared 100K everything started to go. Catalytic, engine stuff, electrical problems galore. I spent almost $2K in repairs in one month on it. Now the transmission & brakes are about to go and my A/C just quit today. I wish I wouldn't have put the $2K in. I could've used it as a down payment on something better! I do like the layout of the car, though. It is a very roomy sedan and everything is easily accessible.

This car has been nothing but trouble
By rjb1012 on 06/18/11 20:39 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

My parents bought this car for me from a friend of my grandma's when I first got my license at 16. It had about 50k miles. Since day one, it has been nothing but a money pit. For the past 3 years, it has gone in the shop at least twice a year for repairs. The first problem that I encountered was that the air condition would always switch to outside air at random, and when it did that, it would shut the air condition off for a couple minutes. Then the next major problem was that the brakes needed to replaced. All this in just the 1st year of owning the car. Next year the brakes were at it AGAIN. This year, the intake gasket needs to be replaced AND the air condition is broken again.

A Car Don't
By rsg71 on 05/25/11 04:39 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car in 2005, and it has been in the shop nearly every year. Last year, it was in the shop 3 times, and it it would be on it's way again if I wasn't getting rid of it! The fuel pump, lower intake gasket, anti-theft sensor that won't turn off (the key IS in the ignition), and then some routine maintenance things. I don't mind paying routine up keep of a car, but the parts and labor is outrageous for the most basic things! The thing that appalls me the most- Chevy KNOWS about these problems but has done nothing to make it right by their customers. Will not own GM again.

What a waste of$
By megsymc on 03/16/11 13:20 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I find it comical how similar everyone's story's are. I have to laugh because this car has been a nightmare. The electronic issue is just ridiculous, no one should have to wait ten minutes to start their car because the car thinks someone's trying to steal it. I have only owned the car for a little over a yr & put nearly $3K into it. Fuel pump, gasket, water pump, coolant leak, brakes, catilitic convertor, spark plugs... you name it I've fixed it. I refuse to fix the electronic cylander or put new tires on it. Don't ever buy this car. I wouldn't even sell it to someone. I'm junking it.

Many, many problems
By jodi7 on 02/21/11 09:36 AM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car about a year ago, in that time I have replaced tires, brakes, fuel pump, blinker switch, battery, oil pump switch, intake manifold, gasket, water pump, and currently the head gasket is also leaking. The car continues to have an electrical problem, sometimes the windows will power up or down, sometimes not, only half of the lights work, and the car has a continous intermittant starting problem that cannot be fixed, I never know if I'll be sitting for an hour or two waiting for this car to start. currently the car is broken down, I've decided not to fix the head gasket and as someone who loves american cars I'll be looking to buy a japanese car for my next one.

OMG! What is not wrong with this junk?
By Jacki on 11/03/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Everything that everyone has been saying. Brakes, fuel pump, brakes, engine, brakes. You get my point.

Don't
By LS on 06/17/10 19:45 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I got this car for my 16th birthday with about 40k on it. Immediately, we had to replace the computer in it, as well as the ignition switch. Then the brakes went out. Then I had a leak in my engine coolant (too expensive to repair at the time- $800++, and still unfixed). Then the catalytic converter. Then the fuel pump. Then the brakes again. Then the theft system shorted out. Then the ignition switch again. Now, the computer is acting up again... I have to reset the computer each time before I start it. It only has 96k on it now. We have spent at least $5k in repairs on this car. Probably more. My dad just bought a new Malibu, and it seems nice though. Time will tell. I won't buy 1.

No one ever writes anything positive
By Melissa on 05/06/10 11:23 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Overall this has been a great car for me, driven cross country numerous times (Florida to Wisconsin/Wisconsin-Florida) at least 10 round-trips. Traveling for job (1500 miles/week). In it's later years, some more maintenance issues, but with a little prevention, and well cared for it can go. In the 5 years I've owned it, have put $1500 into the car for repairs outside of general maintenance.

Disgruntled owner :(
By unhappy discruntald on 02/18/10 21:29 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

have owned this car for 7yrs in those 7yrs this car has been ridiculously a pain!! its had engine problems over heating brakes electrical you name its gone wrong..i'm very unhappy with this car.with every little money i get it has gone into this vehicle and to tell you the truth its not worth it!! if its not one thing its another (thank you AAA) just recently my trunk will not open and the brakes are failing!!!