Used 2002 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

No problems
By juan_d

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

bought at 87,000 miles I haven't had any mechanical issues after a year. I drive it almost every day for 100+ miles as a delivery driver. I think the only people that review this car are the ones that are pissed that it isn't working how a car should.

This car is a [non-permissible content removed]
By pag_089

2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Malibu in September 2010, and immediately the problems started. I can't even begin to think of the number of times this car has been in the shop. So far, I've spent over $5,000 on it out of pocket, and that's not counting the work that was performed under the dealer's warranty. This car is nothing but a money pit. I'm telling everybody I know to avoid this car, and to avoid Chevrolet in general like the plague. They produce poor quality vehichles and don't stand by their work.

Favorite Features

I like when I turn the key and the engine starts. This happens about 60% of the time.

Suggested Improvements

This car makes a good lawn decoration. Suggest installing a bird bath on the roof.

Terrific bang for your dollar!
By stfdc00069

2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I will preface my comments with this: I do not trust GM for a second and was very sceptical when buying this vehicle and fully expected a potential headache. I purchased this car used in 2009 at 58,000km (36,000 miles). Presently I have 84,000km (52,000miles) on it plus 10 Canadian winters. Replaced original tires at 80,000km. Battery went last year, also original. Replaced brakes once only because I wanted new pads and discs in the face of approaching harsh Canadian winter. You really couldn't ask for more. This car so far cost me $5k for three years of ownership. Taking a bus woudl have been more expensive! Absolutely love it! Go GM! Terrific value for not much dollar

Favorite Features

Handling, acceleration, decent gas mileage for a 6cyl. engine. Very spacious, particularly the back seat. Surprisingly reliable. The front seats are absolutely terrific and a long drive means absolutely nothing to my back. Previously owned Honda, Toyota, other GM cars (mostly Chevy), Jeep and Ford.

Suggested Improvements

Center console design needs improvement. Nothing wrong with it per se but could have been more spacious and better thought out.

Makes my miss my Ford Taurus.
By ephrata_1992

2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been in my family for 4 years my mom had it from 08' to 11' I have been driving it since 2011. She got it with 59K on it. I got it with 92K on it, It now has 111K on it. Over the 4 years we have put $2000 into it with repairs and general up keep. The typical Malibu "problems" have happened to it like the Cat, turn signal, 4 way flashers. Have not had any brake problems yet I'm mainly thinking some people that have these are hard on their brakes that's why they keep spending on them. The interior is amazingly cheap and uncomfortable. With the right tires the car does to excellent in the snow. Car lets you hear a ton of road noise.

Favorite Features

The aftermarket radio/CD/MP3 player that the previous owner installed.

Suggested Improvements

Chevrolet could have done way better. They really took they cheap way out with the 2002, the interior is poorly designed and put together. The tacky Chevrolet bow tie design on the seats is just ugly and shows dirt way too easily.

Never a Chevy Again!
By bfairchild

2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Worst care ever. Lower intake manifold seal replaced for $1100 due to dex-cool eating apart the gasket. Turn signal shorted due to the hazard switch that Chevy decided to put right next to the a/c vents where it could accumulate moister. Why they wired the signal switch to the hazard switch just shows what type of corners they cut in manufacturing. A/C blower replaced. Random beeps heard from the stereo. Intake manifold gasket started leaking again and required constant coolant. It was just disappearing from the car! Went through tires every 5,000 miles. They never wore evenly despite an alignment and balance. Chevy should have stepped up and recalled this car. Last Chevy I ever Buy

Favorite Features

There was so much more wrong with this car that I couldnt fit in the review. There was very little I liked. The trunk was very big, and the sunroof was nice and the stereo was fantastic.

Suggested Improvements

Chevy should just stop making cars. There is a reason they had to be bailed out. Im so glad I got rid of my chevy and bought a Ford! The malibu is an extremely dangerous car to drive! The geniuses thought it would be a good idea to have the overflow tank pour out right next to the serpentine belt. When it gets wet and slips, you loose power steering! I will never own a Chevy again! I hope people stop buying there piles of junk, and everyone looses there jobs that they don't deserve to have in the first place.