2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
Definition of a "normal" car
By noah14 on 06/27/14 07:30 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

The 2002 Malibu is extremely normal. It's practical, a bit faster than you might think, but its boring looks keep it in the "grandma car" category. Pros: -Practical size. Not to big on the outside, plenty of space on the inside. -Reluctantly fast. At first I thought I was driving a slow car since I got it from my grandmother, but it's actually pretty quick compared to these new eco-friendly 4-cylinder sedans with a million gears that won't let you touch 4,000rpm. If you coax it, it'll move. Cons: -Looks. It's not ugly, it's just boring. Silver lining: cops won't notice you. -Lots of little repairs. Annoying things like the indicator keeps clicking for no reason.

Great car
By jilikins on 04/01/14 07:33 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

We had a 2002 Malibu that we originally bought in 2007. Never had any major issues with it and because of high mileage hubby put on it driving 90 miles back and forth to work, we decided to look for another car. We found a 2002 Malibu (this one is loaded) with 80,000 miles on it and promptly bought it. My husband is a back yard mechanic of sorts (built a '66 Chevy II from the ground up into a pro-street car) and so he does regular maintenance on it and changes the oil religiously and tune ups and such. Sure, we've had to change the brakes on both our vehicles, but that is the norm. Great, great car.

No problems
By juan_d on 06/14/13 21:08 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

bought at 87,000 miles I haven't had any mechanical issues after a year. I drive it almost every day for 100+ miles as a delivery driver. I think the only people that review this car are the ones that are pissed that it isn't working how a car should.

Good Car
By ajscott on 10/14/11 18:38 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car with about 110K on it. I've had this car for about 3 years now and it has over 130K on it. So far really nothing has gone wrong with it just needed to fix the gas cap once which was no more than a hundred bucks and the brake pads twice so far. But overall no engine problems. The car drives smoothly but a bit heavy (which I prefer). As long as you get it in for your yearly service nothing should go wrong. It's a great car and will get the job done. Just a little bit of rusting on the body but overall engine sounds great and never anything major. GREAT CAR!!!

A Car Don't
By rsg71 on 05/25/11 04:39 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car in 2005, and it has been in the shop nearly every year. Last year, it was in the shop 3 times, and it it would be on it's way again if I wasn't getting rid of it! The fuel pump, lower intake gasket, anti-theft sensor that won't turn off (the key IS in the ignition), and then some routine maintenance things. I don't mind paying routine up keep of a car, but the parts and labor is outrageous for the most basic things! The thing that appalls me the most- Chevy KNOWS about these problems but has done nothing to make it right by their customers. Will not own GM again.

What a waste of$
By megsymc on 03/16/11 13:20 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I find it comical how similar everyone's story's are. I have to laugh because this car has been a nightmare. The electronic issue is just ridiculous, no one should have to wait ten minutes to start their car because the car thinks someone's trying to steal it. I have only owned the car for a little over a yr & put nearly $3K into it. Fuel pump, gasket, water pump, coolant leak, brakes, catilitic convertor, spark plugs... you name it I've fixed it. I refuse to fix the electronic cylander or put new tires on it. Don't ever buy this car. I wouldn't even sell it to someone. I'm junking it.

Don't
By LS on 06/17/10 19:45 PM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I got this car for my 16th birthday with about 40k on it. Immediately, we had to replace the computer in it, as well as the ignition switch. Then the brakes went out. Then I had a leak in my engine coolant (too expensive to repair at the time- $800++, and still unfixed). Then the catalytic converter. Then the fuel pump. Then the brakes again. Then the theft system shorted out. Then the ignition switch again. Now, the computer is acting up again... I have to reset the computer each time before I start it. It only has 96k on it now. We have spent at least $5k in repairs on this car. Probably more. My dad just bought a new Malibu, and it seems nice though. Time will tell. I won't buy 1.

No one ever writes anything positive
By Melissa on 05/06/10 11:23 AM (PDT)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Overall this has been a great car for me, driven cross country numerous times (Florida to Wisconsin/Wisconsin-Florida) at least 10 round-trips. Traveling for job (1500 miles/week). In it's later years, some more maintenance issues, but with a little prevention, and well cared for it can go. In the 5 years I've owned it, have put $1500 into the car for repairs outside of general maintenance.

Not Worth the $$$
By summergal126 on 01/21/10 18:50 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

The theft system on this car is always going off and will not turn on until at least 10 min. later. Took it to the dealership and was told that there was nothing they could do about it. Also the turn signal continually clicks for about 10 seconds after making a turn, Chevy said there was nothing they could do about this either. The car drives well but does not get great gas mileage or do well in snow.

Not the best, not the worst
By Alma on 01/19/10 22:08 PM (PST)

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I've had the car for almost three years. It gets very great gas mileage, usually around 25-27 with city/highway mix. The brakes usually need changed every year, and still are not the greatest. If you have the money, upgrade to drilled rotors and yellow stuff brake pads. I've replaced alot of minor things, but nothing major. The seats are comfy, but the cloth is made cheap. The car has a good amount of horses, for a V6, and the gas pedal is very touchy. This car handles very well on wet/icy/snowy roads. The car has enough room to fit 4 friends comfy.