Used 2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

2002 Chevy Malibu
By dlynnh

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

If anyone has issues with it not starting refer to GM service tech bulletin no 01-08-49-020 concerning the ignition lock cylinder/switch replacement revision dated December 2001. I am so sick of this problem, have contacted GM since they seem to have issues with ignitions, they need to look at this model. According to the local dealer, no recalls never took place. Fear that if it does start and I go somewhere will shut off while on road.

Favorite Features

I love the car for its looks only as it sits in the yard.

Has its quirks but keeps on plugging
By pegdee

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used from Hertz (at 24,000 miles) in 2003, and 11 years later it's at 152,000. I've used it for lots of city driving in San Francisco (those hills and traffic are hard on a car), highway driving, and trips on rough roads in the Sierra. Engine is still going strong, and I haven't had to spend much on repairs. The biggest (and scariest) problem was a fuel pump failure while I was on the road. The anti-theft system can be annoying when it won't let you start (has happened to me about 4 times over the years), but all you need to do is wait it out for 10 minutes.

Favorite Features

Extremely comfortable driver's seat, good visibility all around, great trunk capacity, strong engine that can handle uphill driving without a struggle, easy to handle on mountain roads, reliable performance. This car was a great value, and I'll miss it very much when I finally need to move on.

Suggested Improvements

I sure hope that Chevrolet has abandoned the touchy anti-theft system by now.

I regret buying this car!
By ck1102

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I usually don't leave reviews like this, but maybe I will save someone from the headache of owning this piece. I bought my 02 Malibu in 2010, and it only had 80k miles on it. Now, with 130k miles and regular checkups, I've had to replace the ignition switch, fuel pump and filter, water pump, the wheel baring twice, the master cylinder and entire brake system, oxygen sensor, the throttle body sensor, the temperature gauge, spark plugs,2 speakers, 2 batteries, 2 sets of brand new tires, and the door handle. This adds up to a significantly higher amount than the car is actually worth, and guess what? My head gasket just blew and flooded my entire engine. Thanks, Chevy, thanks a lot.

Suggested Improvements

Perhaps Chevy should start paying people to drive the Malibu, since mine and a co-worker's seem to have all the same issues and nobody should ever spend any money them.

This car is a [non-permissible content removed]
By pag_089

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Malibu in September 2010, and immediately the problems started. I can't even begin to think of the number of times this car has been in the shop. So far, I've spent over $5,000 on it out of pocket, and that's not counting the work that was performed under the dealer's warranty. This car is nothing but a money pit. I'm telling everybody I know to avoid this car, and to avoid Chevrolet in general like the plague. They produce poor quality vehichles and don't stand by their work.

Favorite Features

I like when I turn the key and the engine starts. This happens about 60% of the time.

Suggested Improvements

This car makes a good lawn decoration. Suggest installing a bird bath on the roof.

Terrific bang for your dollar!
By stfdc00069

2002 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I will preface my comments with this: I do not trust GM for a second and was very sceptical when buying this vehicle and fully expected a potential headache. I purchased this car used in 2009 at 58,000km (36,000 miles). Presently I have 84,000km (52,000miles) on it plus 10 Canadian winters. Replaced original tires at 80,000km. Battery went last year, also original. Replaced brakes once only because I wanted new pads and discs in the face of approaching harsh Canadian winter. You really couldn't ask for more. This car so far cost me $5k for three years of ownership. Taking a bus woudl have been more expensive! Absolutely love it! Go GM! Terrific value for not much dollar

Favorite Features

Handling, acceleration, decent gas mileage for a 6cyl. engine. Very spacious, particularly the back seat. Surprisingly reliable. The front seats are absolutely terrific and a long drive means absolutely nothing to my back. Previously owned Honda, Toyota, other GM cars (mostly Chevy), Jeep and Ford.

Suggested Improvements

Center console design needs improvement. Nothing wrong with it per se but could have been more spacious and better thought out.