Used 2001 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

2001 Malibu
By jibeho

2001 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Many small problems as stated in previous reviews. Also had MAJOR problems around 50K. Starter failed, Intake manifold gasket failed, and then the engine failed. Even the key fob is poorly designed because you can easily set off the car alarm accidentally. Overall, the 2001 Malibu is a very unsatisfactory car ownership experience. The rapid depreciation tells the story quite well, because the free market effectively values the car for what it is worth (not much). I could not recommend a Malibu to anybody, and will be buying a Japanese or Korean brand next time around.

Favorite Features

Any features unique to the Malibu quickly fade in importance when you have as many problems as I have had with GM Chevy Malibu.

Suggested Improvements

Plain and simple -- IMPROVE THE QUALITY.

Bad Motor
By Robert Clarke& T.Bev

2001 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Motor problems before 3 year warrenty ran out. Motor had to be rebuilt. GM picked up the tab completely with a rental car for use while being done.GM gave a three tear or 75,000 mile warrenty on the rebuilt motor.Nice to do business with and happy with the results

Suggested Improvements

Better and more comfortable armrest.

Great for first 36 months
By Shaun

2001 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

This car is great until around year 3. Problems included short brake life, a/c issues, intake manifold leaks. After doing research found these to be common problems with this vehicle. I would have sold it a long time ago if I wasn't still upside down due to depreciation. If you're going to get this car only do it for a lease.

Favorite Features

Good power for the amount paid.

Suggested Improvements

Start making quality parts.

Supposedly reliable...
By Savannah

2001 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

My husband and I bought our first "new" car, thinking that it would be dependable for me to drive to work. In the past 3 months we have spent around $1,500 in repairs. The A/C is cutting on and off, the theft system is going haywire (the car doesn't start unless the doors are locked, and sometimes the doors unlock themselves while on the road, which cuts the ignition off), the brakes had to be replaced, which I was told has been happening w/ a lot of Malibus, and the ignition starter and module had to be replaced. Also, water was leaking into the floorboards b/c of the windshield not being sealed properly. We are very disapointed in this car. Next time we'll buy a Toyota or Honda.

Favorite Features

Power, looks, gas mileage, radio.

Suggested Improvements

Better theft system, better calibrated brakes, better working A/C system, etc. What bothers me is that I found online where lots of other people are having the same problems, but Chevrolet won't confirm that and admit that they should be responsible. I would not be upset if it were isolated problems

I love my car
By Chrissy

2001 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car as a newlywed and still in college. It has grown with me. We have a child now, and I feel completely at ease with the performance and safety of this vehicle. My husband has suggested trading in on a newer car, but I can't stand the thought of giving up my car, even for a newer one. I love my car!

Favorite Features

I think this model looks sleek and sophisticated. The ride is so smooth and worry free.

Suggested Improvements

The only complaint that I have is that the brakes cost me a small fortune to have replaced.