Used 2001 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Worth it
By great car

2001 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

i bought this car with 40k miles in 2004 and have had some of the same problems as others. coolant leak, but i did a total flush and leak repair and have had problems since. some electrical problems flasher, cigarette lighter kept blowing fuse. i now have 139k miles on her and i have no real complaints. i think this car has been a great car and i still feel like i can take long trips with confidence. so far this year i have taken it to south fl from north Carolina 5 times without any problems. I get about 30 mpg on high way and not sure city but around 24.

tight seal and ac runs great, gas mileage is decent.has good get up and go power.

Great car
By malibu

2001 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I recently bought this car used, and i was delightfully surprised with it, if you want to, this car can really take off! the seats are nice, the upholstery is great, and there is nothing about this car that irks me at all

i love the get up and go of this car, the suspension is very smooth, and the sound system is great, if i had a choice of buying this car again, i would.

It could use maybe a little more wood trim on the inside, the one little piece, gives it a simplistic beauty though, a remote key fob would be a nice addition.

Unfortunate Misconception
By undone

2001 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Decent car with good engine. Unfortunately the theft system is a definite problem. I have had to replace the intake timing gaskets and am looking to replace the head gaskets. The cooling system has problems operating with the Dex-cool additive that is recommended under warranty. Decent gas mileage 22-27mpg mixed. I cannot say that I will buy this model again.

Good power for the smaller v-6, never had a brake problem, good trunk space

Theft system, cooling system, leave out dex-cool.

Bunch of Small Problems
By Lmonty

2001 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I got this car 2 years ago from a Rental place, and it had 44,000 miles on it. It now has 63,000 miles on it, and things have been acting up. The passenger front and back windows don't work with the drivers side control, the heat/AC doesn't come on until the 4th and 5th setting, the hazard lights/blinkers don't work at least once a day, and I've replaced the brakes twice. The ABS gives me a lot of trouble in the winter, it pulses and the brakes disengage--- very dangerous! Lastly, the coolant seems to be used up EXTREMELY quickly-- not sure what the problem is there.

Good size, leg room in front and back seats, good trunk space.

Fix all the wiring to heat/ac, windows, and hazard lights, and fix breaks. Too many small problems!

I Will Miss This Car
By Warren P

2001 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my 2001 Chevy Malibu for almost 8 years now and have never had a problem with it. It's comfortable to drive, smooth ride, great lumbar support. My wife bought a new Altima and sold it a year later because we both had backaches after driving it for more than 30 minutes. I have to get a larger car (SUV) for work purposes but I will miss this car. I think Chevy has an unjustified bad reputation compared to Honda and Toyota - this car has treated me very well for 8 years!