2001 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
Good American Car
By tommy on 12/15/07 17:36 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Well guys. I loved my Malibu. Sure the electrical aspects were king of funky, so roll down the window. My engine never failed. The only things I ever had to change was the brakes and the oil. My car had 106000 miles before some lady hit me and totaled my car. I miss it. I wish I still had it. I don't want the money I want my car back.

Worth the money
By gm guy on 11/07/07 09:25 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

GM program car; bought 1/2003 at 24,000 miles, now has 85,000. Original Firestone tires wore out at 33,000, replacement BFG tires still have 5/32 tread. Intake gasket coolant leak repaired at 51,000 on extended warranty. Brake pads replaced and rotors turned at 78,000. MPG records show 25+ mixed driving, up to 31 MPG hiway. Starts good, runs good, drives good, rides good, with lots of power when needed. Recent electrical problems were battery cable corrosion hidden by rubber cover at positive battery terminal. Normal maintenance includes synthetic oil at 5,000 miles. Great car.

223,000 Miles And Still Going
By Pete on 07/03/07 16:11 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

This was a company car that I purchased when the lease expired. I have driven this car since it had approximately 31,000 miles, it now has over 223,000 miles. The car has been great for the money. As a salesperson, I drive a lot and the car has been quite dependable. Yes, I have had some problems, electrical, ignition switch, etc. but they all began to occur after I stop servicing the car properly (my employer used to pay for all the servicing.) I am shopping around for a car now, but I am find it hard to give this up.

Mexican guy
By Mexican guy on 04/01/07 00:13 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I had the car for 4 year and the big problems started 8 months ago. The car gets accelerates once in a wile, but Chevrolet canít find the problem, they said that the car is fine. Now the car when it's not accelerated up to 2,500, the car wants to turn off, but never get to it. And to start in the road the car "thinks" like for 1 second before going. The a/c turns off when it wants. The break has been replaced 4 times, once a year. I don't recommend this car to anyone

Surprisingly pleased
By wyrdguy on 03/31/07 11:07 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I've driven this car for over 6 years now and am very surprised with its reliability and comfort. I wasn't expecting much with all the trouble I'd had in the 70's and 80's with GM cars, but I'd driven a Chevy Corsica for work and was impressed, so I decided I'd give GM one last chance. I don't exactly follow the book when it comes to maintenance either and this car has been very forgiving. It now has 115k on the odometer and has given me few problems. The transmission needed rebuilding under warranty and I can't give the brakes very high marks, but other than that, it's been great.

Nice design but poor reliability
By Phil on 02/24/07 13:40 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I really enjoy driving this car, but the reliability has been very poor. This year/model apparently has a very poor brake design. The car's brakes had to be replaced 4 times in 64000 miles (including new rotors on 3 occasions). Other reviews describe the brake problems in more detiail. Have also had numerous problems with the engine including a bad head- gasket, thermostat, and other random issues. Have also had problems with the AC switch, the blinkers, and the windshield wipers. Despite the comfort of the car the reliability makes this car a real bummer.

Good Car, Great Value
By JL on 07/02/06 21:31 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Bought a fully loaded Malibu LS five years ago off the showroom floor. Have close to 100k on her and she's still running strong. Plenty of power with good gas mileage (27 hwy) she is a good looking car. Brakes, like most Chevy's, should have been bigger/better. Spend the money on premium rotors with a warrantee when the OE warps. The only other problem is the turn signal flash-dat is starting to fail. This car is a great family sedan and is still cool and safe enough for a first time driver.

An Average Car for average people
By Julia on 01/28/06 15:27 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Thank God for the extended warranty. I have owned this car for 3 years, and in that time, it's felt like packing marbles in a corner trying to keep this car from falling apart. I had to get the door welded on after the hinge failed, completely replaced the started, heater blowers, and control switch, rusted out far sooner than expected. The window/power locks panel is still hanging on by its wires, and the dealer can't really do much about it (been in to be fixed twice). The turn signal indicators stopped working. I'm very surprised at how much its value has dropped since buying it. Why spend 23K on a car that won't last half as long as an accord or civic for the same price...

One great car!
By addwinell on 12/23/05 18:22 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used almost 2 years ago with 70,000 miles and I just love it. I've only had it in the shop once for small repairs and once for tires. I traded a Jeep Grand Cherokee (which I really miss) for the Malubu but I was pleasantly suprised. It has every bell & whistle that Chevy offered. I have been a long time customer of Chevy and this car solidified my relationship w/them. There are a few small things (center console) that I dislike but, overall this is a wonderful car!

Malibu is trash
By Bryce on 10/24/05 21:26 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

More problems than words to type. Numerous electrical issues, numerous brake problems, failing intake gaskets. Never waste your money on one of these vehicles... You may save money on price of vehicle, but will spend 20 times as much on repairs.