Used 2001 Chevrolet Malibu LS Sedan Consumer Reviews - 38 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2001 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

My first car
By Noel

2001 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

This car was my first car and I wasn't able to get a full years use of it. The first 6 months were great until the check engine light came on. The car then started idling and I had to put out a few 100 bucks for that. Then my fuel system burst into flames, the latest was the abs light coming on and off. I've had to put way too much money into something I was guaranteed would last a long time. If you need a truly reliable car, don't get this. This car will get you from point A to point B and that's about all

UNSAFE!!!!
By mercuryhater

2001 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Our Malibu has just been recalled there are so many problems with this car. The key can practically be pulled out while driving. While closing windows accidentally put the Malibu key in our 99' Blazer and it fit in it wouldn't turn but the door chime came on a quality key wouldn't even fit in. we recently had a blown head gasket and it needed a new engine the ac doesn't work well our familys 02 malibu was left in drive and the key came out and the battery died the key should not turn when a car is in drive it wa so scary I dont want to even ride in the car we typically drive our Tribeca everywhere.

None GM should give up.

GM should give up and buy back every ones cars and through them away

320,000 miles and still running
By mercuryhater

2001 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car in 2004 to replace our Chevy venture the car had about 20,000 miles ours has the sunroof and rear spoiler it is dark blue and has the awful Chevy pattern on the seat. the trunk doesn't align right and always leaks and rattles the suspension is bad. the rear seat is very cramped. the sunroof is very loud when fully open but we normally just keep it on vent mode. the abs light is on i don't think it works anymore. at 290,000 we got back in after pumping gas the car wouldn't start the head gasket was blown needed a new engine which we did. the air conditioning also doesn't work well on 1 2 5 fan settings only 3 4 ???? our vehicle was just included in the Chevy recalls of 2014

The Sunroof is a decent size. The head rest don't intrude but don't tilt. the car has electronic demons the car randomly beeps when you lock it occasionally it doesn't lock anymore when it goes out of park the interior door locks don't work sometimes. The car doesn't have many cup holders or storage. The V6 is surprisingly quick and doesn't sound bad. The car has 50/50 weight distribution making it feel agile and secure around corners

Improved build quality our family member has a 2006 Volkswagen Passat 3.6 4Motion Luxury that feels like a tank. Our grandma has a 02 Malibu its hood peeled very expensive repair.

Bunch of Small Problems
By Lmonty

2001 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I got this car 2 years ago from a Rental place, and it had 44,000 miles on it. It now has 63,000 miles on it, and things have been acting up. The passenger front and back windows don't work with the drivers side control, the heat/AC doesn't come on until the 4th and 5th setting, the hazard lights/blinkers don't work at least once a day, and I've replaced the brakes twice. The ABS gives me a lot of trouble in the winter, it pulses and the brakes disengage--- very dangerous! Lastly, the coolant seems to be used up EXTREMELY quickly-- not sure what the problem is there.

Good size, leg room in front and back seats, good trunk space.

Fix all the wiring to heat/ac, windows, and hazard lights, and fix breaks. Too many small problems!

I Will Miss This Car
By Warren P

2001 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my 2001 Chevy Malibu for almost 8 years now and have never had a problem with it. It's comfortable to drive, smooth ride, great lumbar support. My wife bought a new Altima and sold it a year later because we both had backaches after driving it for more than 30 minutes. I have to get a larger car (SUV) for work purposes but I will miss this car. I think Chevy has an unjustified bad reputation compared to Honda and Toyota - this car has treated me very well for 8 years!