2001 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
UNSAFE!!!!
By mercuryhater on 08/02/14 20:23 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Our Malibu has just been recalled there are so many problems with this car. The key can practically be pulled out while driving. While closing windows accidentally put the Malibu key in our 99' Blazer and it fit in it wouldn't turn but the door chime came on a quality key wouldn't even fit in. we recently had a blown head gasket and it needed a new engine the ac doesn't work well our familys 02 malibu was left in drive and the key came out and the battery died the key should not turn when a car is in drive it wa so scary I dont want to even ride in the car we typically drive our Tribeca everywhere.

320,000 miles and still running
By mercuryhater on 07/21/14 11:48 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car in 2004 to replace our Chevy venture the car had about 20,000 miles ours has the sunroof and rear spoiler it is dark blue and has the awful Chevy pattern on the seat. the trunk doesn't align right and always leaks and rattles the suspension is bad. the rear seat is very cramped. the sunroof is very loud when fully open but we normally just keep it on vent mode. the abs light is on i don't think it works anymore. at 290,000 we got back in after pumping gas the car wouldn't start the head gasket was blown needed a new engine which we did. the air conditioning also doesn't work well on 1 2 5 fan settings only 3 4 ???? our vehicle was just included in the Chevy recalls of 2014

Bunch of Small Problems
By Lmonty on 07/01/09 18:58 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I got this car 2 years ago from a Rental place, and it had 44,000 miles on it. It now has 63,000 miles on it, and things have been acting up. The passenger front and back windows don't work with the drivers side control, the heat/AC doesn't come on until the 4th and 5th setting, the hazard lights/blinkers don't work at least once a day, and I've replaced the brakes twice. The ABS gives me a lot of trouble in the winter, it pulses and the brakes disengage--- very dangerous! Lastly, the coolant seems to be used up EXTREMELY quickly-- not sure what the problem is there.

I Will Miss This Car
By Warren P on 02/21/09 14:10 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my 2001 Chevy Malibu for almost 8 years now and have never had a problem with it. It's comfortable to drive, smooth ride, great lumbar support. My wife bought a new Altima and sold it a year later because we both had backaches after driving it for more than 30 minutes. I have to get a larger car (SUV) for work purposes but I will miss this car. I think Chevy has an unjustified bad reputation compared to Honda and Toyota - this car has treated me very well for 8 years!

Malibus are trouble
By nicole on 11/04/08 10:26 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used at 70,000 miles and have had it only a year. I have had more problems than I can believe. I put more money into it than it cost in general. I've had my car to 4 different auto shops and 2 dealerships several times and no one can permanently fix the problem. I've fixed the starter module twice, fuel pump, ignition switch, 3 censors, radiator, brakes twice and several connections were so rusty they quit working. Right now it's sitting in my drive way because it won't start. Do not buy a Chevy Malibu ever! It's a huge waste of money.

Good American Car
By tommy on 12/15/07 17:36 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Well guys. I loved my Malibu. Sure the electrical aspects were king of funky, so roll down the window. My engine never failed. The only things I ever had to change was the brakes and the oil. My car had 106000 miles before some lady hit me and totaled my car. I miss it. I wish I still had it. I don't want the money I want my car back.

223,000 Miles And Still Going
By Pete on 07/03/07 16:11 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

This was a company car that I purchased when the lease expired. I have driven this car since it had approximately 31,000 miles, it now has over 223,000 miles. The car has been great for the money. As a salesperson, I drive a lot and the car has been quite dependable. Yes, I have had some problems, electrical, ignition switch, etc. but they all began to occur after I stop servicing the car properly (my employer used to pay for all the servicing.) I am shopping around for a car now, but I am find it hard to give this up.

Nice design but poor reliability
By Phil on 02/24/07 13:40 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I really enjoy driving this car, but the reliability has been very poor. This year/model apparently has a very poor brake design. The car's brakes had to be replaced 4 times in 64000 miles (including new rotors on 3 occasions). Other reviews describe the brake problems in more detiail. Have also had numerous problems with the engine including a bad head- gasket, thermostat, and other random issues. Have also had problems with the AC switch, the blinkers, and the windshield wipers. Despite the comfort of the car the reliability makes this car a real bummer.

Good Car, Great Value
By JL on 07/02/06 21:31 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Bought a fully loaded Malibu LS five years ago off the showroom floor. Have close to 100k on her and she's still running strong. Plenty of power with good gas mileage (27 hwy) she is a good looking car. Brakes, like most Chevy's, should have been bigger/better. Spend the money on premium rotors with a warrantee when the OE warps. The only other problem is the turn signal flash-dat is starting to fail. This car is a great family sedan and is still cool and safe enough for a first time driver.

One great car!
By addwinell on 12/23/05 18:22 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used almost 2 years ago with 70,000 miles and I just love it. I've only had it in the shop once for small repairs and once for tires. I traded a Jeep Grand Cherokee (which I really miss) for the Malubu but I was pleasantly suprised. It has every bell & whistle that Chevy offered. I have been a long time customer of Chevy and this car solidified my relationship w/them. There are a few small things (center console) that I dislike but, overall this is a wonderful car!