2001 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
Don't buy it!
By juan_david on 03/25/14 11:54 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Worst first car ever!, I got the Malibu 2001 on 2003, the breaks went bad, then the ac randomly tuned off, then the AC didn’t work, then the ABS went wrong, then the wheels covers did a squeaky sound on the road... then the RPM stayed at 3,000 randomly, the tail lights filled with water every time it rains, the car got foggy on cold weather when the defroster went on. The steering wheel started to disintegrate on my hands… the car lasted 5 years with me… I switched to Nissan Rouge on 2008, and now I own other Nissan, a Murano

Hate this car
By obmckenzie on 06/22/12 06:44 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased an 01 Malibu after our escort broke (really broke, like exhaust in the cab/no rear suspension, started if you were lucky). This were fine at first but it's been nothing but problems. The AC will turn off on its own (the light will blink) and you have to change air speeds to get it back, the theft system caused it to not start one day (and its a known issue and they won't disable it), the brakes behave as if the ABS is ALWAYS ON, it stalls on speed bumps, it's killed 2 brand new batteries, and more often then not the keyfob will not work. We originally were going to buy a jetta but the dealer said that one wasn't working and showed us the malibu. I should have walked out.

Love the car, but have had better
By johntesh71 on 09/22/11 08:58 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car in early 2011 for 1000 bucks with 148,000 miles on it.....once I dropped a couple hundred into it was like a gift from the heavens. Car drives very well, excellent gas mileage about 23 combined, very dependable, torquey V6 engine. Has a very boring interior design and the exterior started losing paint and rusting very badly after only 2 months of driving. The engine then melted through both intake manifold gaskets and sprang a very bad leak, The alternator blew and the fuel line began leaking. Luckily a few days in my garage and alot of tears and sweat she ran like a dream again. Recommend as a great first car or just as a daily driver.

I LOVE my malibu!!!!!
By peachesxox3162 on 06/23/11 10:05 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I am 2nd owner after purchasing the car in '04 w/17218miles. I have driven it daily ever since with minor problems(to me at least). The car has 198,673miles and is still going strong. I haven't been as faithful as I should have with tune-ups or oil changes. Truth be told- just had my neighbor replace the wires and plugs and he informed me that they were original. I have replaced tires (full set) twice. I love my car but know I need to look for a newer one. While I need a car good on gas, I REALLY love my malibu and am looking to get another. I just hope that I get lucky a second time!!!!

Electrical issues anyone ?
By salty_in_atl on 01/23/11 01:41 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this car for about 2 years now and the electrical issues started with the blinkers. I got them fixed and then it was the a/c not staying on in Atl. heat ! Now its the theft system or something. They changed out the they keys (door and ignition ) and the ignition box . Now it runs for two weeks then it just cuts off . I almost had it paid off now all this in the middle of winter. Is anyone else having this issue ? Is there a recall on this model ? Help !

Best used car I'v had
By jstanthrguy on 01/04/11 09:33 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I got my 01 Malibu 2 years ago with only 45,000 miles on it and havnt had any big issues with it other than my AC / heater going out at 80k miles but that was a $30 fix that took me a year to do. My lighter outles have gone out and the engine keeps doing a tugging issue but I'm sure its the area I live in. Other than that just normal wear. I will say they don't do so well on climate change though. I brought it from NE winters to California summers and hit a speed bump and cracked a tie rod but that was $6 to fix. Now at 110k its in perfect condition. I love it.

You get what you pay for :)
By kka89 on 11/08/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Malibu with the only issue of needing new intake manifold gaskets. It would run hotter than the half mark when at idle, but go back down when driving. Within the first week of owning the car (I am the third owner, previous owner military)the power window switch for the driver's side window went out. I can no longer roll down my window. My ABS light comes on sometimes and my Theft System light acts up. I also cannot install an aftermarket CD player without a special kit. I only paid $1800.00 for it and can't complain too much. I'm trading it off for an Nissan Xterra and more than likely won't buy another American car again.I've had nothing but bad luck with them.

Worth it
By great car on 09/30/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

i bought this car with 40k miles in 2004 and have had some of the same problems as others. coolant leak, but i did a total flush and leak repair and have had problems since. some electrical problems flasher, cigarette lighter kept blowing fuse. i now have 139k miles on her and i have no real complaints. i think this car has been a great car and i still feel like i can take long trips with confidence. so far this year i have taken it to south fl from north Carolina 5 times without any problems. I get about 30 mpg on high way and not sure city but around 24.

Great car
By malibu on 08/20/10 19:01 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I recently bought this car used, and i was delightfully surprised with it, if you want to, this car can really take off! the seats are nice, the upholstery is great, and there is nothing about this car that irks me at all

Unfortunate Misconception
By undone on 01/15/10 11:03 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Decent car with good engine. Unfortunately the theft system is a definite problem. I have had to replace the intake timing gaskets and am looking to replace the head gaskets. The cooling system has problems operating with the Dex-cool additive that is recommended under warranty. Decent gas mileage 22-27mpg mixed. I cannot say that I will buy this model again.