Used 2001 Chevrolet Malibu Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Did its job
By skinnyp

2001 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Got this car in '07 with 20,000 miles. Besides replacing the head gasket this car has been relatively problem free. It had piston slap since 80,000 miles but it never seemed to do anything besides make noise. It lasted until last fall when at 205,000 some things finally started breaking. I could still get 32 mpg highway driving at 200,000 miles. The common AC problem can easily be fixed if you search it on Youtube. Once I got rid of this malibu I went I got an '02. Overall I'm satisfied with vehicle it did its job.

Favorite Features

The radio continues to play for 10 minutes after the car is shut off. It is very convenient for when you're picking someone up.

Suggested Improvements

I wished the fold down rear seats would have standard. Perhaps a steering column shift would have be nice.

Don't buy it!
By juan_david

2001 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Worst first car ever!, I got the Malibu 2001 on 2003, the breaks went bad, then the ac randomly tuned off, then the AC didn’t work, then the ABS went wrong, then the wheels covers did a squeaky sound on the road... then the RPM stayed at 3,000 randomly, the tail lights filled with water every time it rains, the car got foggy on cold weather when the defroster went on. The steering wheel started to disintegrate on my hands… the car lasted 5 years with me… I switched to Nissan Rouge on 2008, and now I own other Nissan, a Murano

Favorite Features

Stereo with speed sensability. Ride. Seats. Automatic lights.

Suggested Improvements

All the car, plastics, performance, steering weel, engine, suspension, wheels covers, breaks, tail lights,

Hate this car
By obmckenzie

2001 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased an 01 Malibu after our escort broke (really broke, like exhaust in the cab/no rear suspension, started if you were lucky). This were fine at first but it's been nothing but problems. The AC will turn off on its own (the light will blink) and you have to change air speeds to get it back, the theft system caused it to not start one day (and its a known issue and they won't disable it), the brakes behave as if the ABS is ALWAYS ON, it stalls on speed bumps, it's killed 2 brand new batteries, and more often then not the keyfob will not work. We originally were going to buy a jetta but the dealer said that one wasn't working and showed us the malibu. I should have walked out.

Favorite Features

The CD player was nice.. until it broke

Suggested Improvements

Fix the electrical issues, fix the alarm system, and don't but this car.

Love the car, but have had better
By johntesh71

2001 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car in early 2011 for 1000 bucks with 148,000 miles on it.....once I dropped a couple hundred into it was like a gift from the heavens. Car drives very well, excellent gas mileage about 23 combined, very dependable, torquey V6 engine. Has a very boring interior design and the exterior started losing paint and rusting very badly after only 2 months of driving. The engine then melted through both intake manifold gaskets and sprang a very bad leak, The alternator blew and the fuel line began leaking. Luckily a few days in my garage and alot of tears and sweat she ran like a dream again. Recommend as a great first car or just as a daily driver.

Favorite Features

The 3100 SFI V6 engine, very torquey for such a small engine, Very stylistic sedan design.

Suggested Improvements

Realistically, could use a more powerful V6 or at the very least a more fuel efficient base option 4 cylinder engine, and also this severe problem with melting intake manifold gaskets. An maybe a performance version.

I LOVE my malibu!!!!!
By peachesxox3162

2001 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I am 2nd owner after purchasing the car in '04 w/17218miles. I have driven it daily ever since with minor problems(to me at least). The car has 198,673miles and is still going strong. I haven't been as faithful as I should have with tune-ups or oil changes. Truth be told- just had my neighbor replace the wires and plugs and he informed me that they were original. I have replaced tires (full set) twice. I love my car but know I need to look for a newer one. While I need a car good on gas, I REALLY love my malibu and am looking to get another. I just hope that I get lucky a second time!!!!