2000 Chevrolet Malibu 3.1L V6 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - So far so good -

2000 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Review

So far so good - just purchased with 200K on it
By jimntempe on

2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I read most of the reviews here and it almost made me back out of my decision to by a 2000 Malibu LS. But the car was like new, even with 200K miles, and it was very inexpensive compared to the other junk I'd looked at for the same price or more. The prior owner had quite of few of his repair papers and like many of these cars it had the intake manifold redone, a new fuel pump, new water pump, plugs, wires, and one injector, all at around 100K. Also had brakes done several times but no more often them most other cars.

Favorite Features

I like it's looks better then the equivalent imported vehicles. It seems to be holding up as well as a friend of mines imports too. The engine is wonderful, very spunky for 3.1 L. Steering is nicely weighted. It rides and handles great, the radio/cd works great, very few of the interior parts have any problems, one of the lock switches has the tip broken off but it still works.

Suggested Improvements

With a 12 year old car there's not much point in suggesting improvements but the main things GM should have done a better job on were the abysmal design of the power window lifts - they are almost designed to fail, there is one plastic part in them that is just way over-stressed. If GM had simply made it out of metal with nylon inserts all the failed window lifts would have been avoided. They should have come up with a better intake manifold gasket too. That's the kind of thing that should last for the lift of the engine, not be a maintenance item.