2000 Chevrolet Malibu 3.1L V6 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Just Pour Your Money Down

2000 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Review

Base Sedan (3.1L V6 4-speed Automatic)

Just Pour Your Money Down the Drain
By mindgraffiti on

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I have owned this used car for 7+ years. Stuck with a 3 year loan, only to shell out more money immediately after buying it! Within the first 6 months, when it hit 50k miles, the engine completely DIED. Spent $4k on a new one. Even after a NEW one, I've replaced the intake gasket 4 times. It's gradually gained a large 6" round rust hole near the bottom of the fuel door. The ignition fails randomly and after 3 repair shops, no one can find the problem. The A/C needs recharged every month during the summer and on 80F & hotter days, you can't tell it's working. I've quit making repairs ($6k during 3 yr loan!) and am driving it til it's dead. After this car, nothing will make me buy GM again.

Favorite Features

Spending $6k in repairs, including a new engine, yeah, that was fun! [/end dripping sarcasm]

Suggested Improvements

Nothing less than a class action lawsuit for willful fraud on GM's part. GM should pay $10k to each owner for all the repairs paid in, then be grateful they didn't have to pay more.