A solid car
By smithns on
2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan
I purchased my 2000 Malibu in 2003 with 60k miles. The owner was a senior citizen who had made lots of road trips and meticulously kept up with maintenance and had all receipts to prove it. I've now had my Malibu for 9 years and love it. I've had to do most of the expected routine maintenance - brakes, rotors, tires, filters. There's been a few pieces of non routine maintenance but overall this has been a great vehicle for me. I'm now at 162k and expect to take it to 200k+. When I'm done, I hope I can find a similar car - malibu from same era with meticulous records and low miles and likely non aggressive driving previous owner.
Favorite Features
Gas mileage ranges from 25-30/gallon. The completely removable back seat. The stock audio system has alot of bass. Power Steering and brake fluid fine after 13 years (mechanics see no need to flush, fluid color is like new). I can change the oil without even jacking the car up. Its not the easiest thing but its quite doable. The oil pan plug is a funny angle but reachable. Radiator is also easy to change. Alternator, starter, fuel filter, oil, coolant, air filter, radio, ignition, seat belts (got a chunk of wood in it), tie rods, windsheild wipers, etc are all DIY repairs for a semi handy owner. Enough leg room for a 6'4 dude.
Suggested Improvements
Could have more room for passengers in back. The stock CD player wouldn't play burned CDs and I replaced. A/C controllers are notorious for dying slowly, and settings 1-2 die within a few days of installing a new one. Transmission fluid is difficult to replace or even see how full it is. You must remove an engine mount to replace the serpentine belt. The rear spark plugs are very hard to get to and more than a non mechanic owner can usually handle. The rear spark plugs basically disintegrated when I finally got them off and had to grab piece by piece. Thankfully this is a ever 50-100k mile change. Radiator hose fell off at one point.