2000 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
Good Car!!
By dlh298 on 08/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I've had just a couple of problems with this car that at least in my estimation aren't huge. After 56,000 niles I've put two sets of disc brake pads on and had the rotors turned once. I've had to replace one front wheel bearing (complete with the anti-lock sensor in it) for $160.00, and I currently need to put a set of tires on it before inspection, but all in all it has been a good reliable family car that can also satisfy my occasional desire for performance and speed (darn governer!!). I think this car has a little bit of luxury to it for a great price.

Would not buy again
By ys91t7f on 08/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

Not a bad vehicle for the price except for chronic brake problems that many others appear to have (if you must buy this car, get the extended warranty!). Problems with A/C also common and annoying clacking noise from engine. Fairly roomy interior, but seats lack leg support for taller drivers on long trips. Would be fairly happy if GM could correct brake problems but they don't seem to have the will or ability to fix. Sorry GM, you blew it with this consumer... just bought a new Toyota

Say No to Malibu
By nonew on 07/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I HAVE HAD NOTHING BUT TROUBLE FROM MY 2000 MALIBU. I HAVE HAD TOO MANY SETS OF BRAKES AND ROTORS TO EVEN COUNT. I HAVE HAD A NEW POWER STEERING PUMP, NEW BATTERY, NEW FUEL TANK FLOAT. MY ENGINE HAS KNOCKED FROM THE START. MY TURN SIGNAL HAD A BUZZING NOISE AND AFTER 3 TRIPS TO THE DEALERSHIP THEY FINALLY FIXED IT AFTER I THREATENED TO SEE A LAWYER. I HAVE BEEN STRANDED WITH SMALL CHILDREN SEVERAL TIMES. I HAVE BEEN TOWED AND I HAVE RECEIVED NO SATISFACTION WHEN TRYING TO DEAL WITH GM ABOUT PROBLEMS. THEIR SOLUTION WAS TO GIVE ME $1,000 TOWARD A NEW CHEVROLET PURCHASE. (YEAH RIGHT)

Disappointed
By Haysucka on 07/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

what can i say. thought i was buying a reliable car. not!! few days after taking delivery on the car, found out there was a recall on the motor - piston slap, 4 months later, had to replace rotors, and brakes. the materials lok and feel cheap, seats aren't exactly supportive, get sore after long trips.

Malibu - The car you knew GM WOULD build
By MikeMac on 06/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2000 Malibu LS new in August 2000. I have had to replace the brakes and rotors on it a few times, and the brake work was covered by the dealership while under 36000. I have had some minor problems with the AC, the blower motor went and I had lost the two lowest fan speeds. I have had to replace the tires and battery. Overall, its been a dependable car and my dealership, Cloverleaf Chevrolet, has been excellent. Not sure if I would by another Malibu, but I would definately buy and get service from the same dealership again.

Less than impressed
By madmabs on 05/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

After 3 years of leasing this car I am very glad to return it to the (less than professional) Dealership. If you are thinking of buying a Malibu Don't. It has developed a squeak and groaning noise from the front suspension. The brakes are sub-par and had to be replaced after 2 years even though I am not heavy footed. The paint finish is substandard and the interior also. Do yourself a favor and check out a Honda Accord

Used 00
By Malibizoo on 05/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

Bought my Malibu in January 03 as a replacement for my 93 Corsica, and this car is soooo much better. I love the look of my black LS with the gold emblems and the rear spoiler. This car is fun and comfortable to drive, even though the drivers seat becomes alittle uncomfortable on the back at times.

Great "appliance"!
By bytepeddler on 05/01/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

Get in, turn key, steer, arrive safely, no problem. Does this over and over. No heads turn -- so what... Bottom line is reliable, safe, reasonably comfortable 'appliance'. Great value.

WHAT A SHAME
By LEROYVENUS on 04/11/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

GREAT OPTION TO THE HONDA ACCORD IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD THE ACCORD BUT WHAT A FRIKIN HEADACHE! I SHOULD HAVE LEARNED MY LESSON FROM THE '95 BLAZER BUT NNOOOO...BRAKES,A/C,FUNNY NOISES FROM THE DASH, ARE JUST SOME OF THE PROBLEMS NOT TO MENTION HOW FAST THESE CARS DEPRECIATE! NEXT TIME-IMPORT

Transmission Nightmare
By malibutrany on 03/25/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

With only 46,763 miles on my 2000 Malibu I didn't expect the transmission to go. Not to mention, warped brake rotors, cheap tires, and poor cooling & heating system. When the transmission went out I contacted two local dealers. Both of which didn't want to deal with the problems and gave me the 800 # for GM customer service. GM informed me that they couldn't help me either, as I didn't have documentation of service done at a GM dealership and couldn't prove that I hadn't tampered with the transmission! I'll never buy GM again due to product quality and NO customer service. My advice . . do not buy a Malibu.