Used 2000 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

2000 Chevrolet Malibu

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Great for Teaching 2 Teenagers to Drive
By RR

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

Rented one and loved the performance. First 50,000 miles no issues. Then had to replace manifold gasket and fan control twice. At 100,000 the manifold gasket, air conditioning compressor, and rack n pinion need replacement. Still gets over 30 mpg on long trips but typically 16-20 mpg in suburban driving. As usual, Chevy had a good idea that was executed poorly.

Favorite Features

Power to weight ratio, good handling, good value for teenage drivers

Suggested Improvements

Chevy trucks run for 100,000, 200,000, 300,000, etc miles but why they cannot make a car last 6 years is beyond comprehension.

I don't think I will buy another Chevy.
By LauraG

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

In the beginning I loved my car, but recently it has turned into a "cartoon" car. It seems like things are always popping off of it. Can't keep a wheel cover on one wheel. The sun visor came off in my hand one day recently. Can't roll down one of the windows. One of the A/C buttons won't stay on. The speakers are crap. Sometimes my non existent anti theft system kicks in and I cannot start my car. The first time that happened it cost me $165 for the tow and to get it "fixed". In reality, they just reset the computer. It happened again a week later and when I called the shop they told me how to get it started. Just turn the key on ACC and let it sit for about 5 minutes.

Below Average
By thestuff

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

Poor buy on my end. The metal around the gas cap is already bubbling, front wheel bearing and idle control sensor has also gone out on me. Also had a problem with the Dexcool in it turning to sludge and, as a result, looks like I might have to replace an intake manifold gasket. Gas mileage is great for this car, but the bad far outweighs the good. It can be peppy at times but it just feels cheap and based on the money I've invested in it, I'd say it's not worth even looking at one of these cars.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, fairly nimble to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Build quality.

Agree w/Good Frosting, Bad Cake
By CM 2000 malibu

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I've had nothing but problems after I bought this car. Water coolant light come on corrrectly because antifreeze did leak. Manifold replaced. Hazard light switch replaced because it caused electrical problems with turn signals. Still haven't fiqured out why there's some interference with the CD playing. Automatic Transmission, had something replaced because it wouldn't shift into reverse sometimes. Rotors&pads trash. From the looks I thought I liked but engine is trash. Other reviews on this site that okay this car because the problems they had were covered under warrant don't make sense. A problem is a problem even if under warranty. Wait till the warranty runs out and you find more problems. I've owned Chevys before and loved them. Other than the engine & electical& trans problems the car's ok. But the engine is the reason for a car

Me & My "Bu"
By Trudy

2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

No one is allowed to drive but myself. I wash it every other week. It was my dream to have one. In the late 60's Dad bought a yellow one a standard & that's when i learned to drive a standard. It had spoke wheels a pretty yellow. My Bu is special to me. Love that style. It will be a classic I'll never trade it. Thanks for bringing them back!

Favorite Features

The whole car

Suggested Improvements

Go back to 2000 body style