2000 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
2000 Malibu
By MPB on 06/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for 4 years and haven't had any issues. The only things to have gone wrong were fan speeds 1 & 2 on the AC broke while under warranty, and the coolant light on the dashboard came on when it shouldn't have. Other than that, I have kept up with the regular maintenance and haven't had a problem. I'm very pleased with the car.

Good Frosting, Bad Cake
By AmDisappointed on 06/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

Way to many problems for a 4 yr old car. The brakes (rotors+pads), intake valve, alternator, starter, A/C switch, battery, and who knows what other surprises await. . . I regret that GM does not stand behind their cars like Honda - they know those rotors are trash, but tell you it's your problem. And they wonder why they lose market share.

Nice Car, Bad Mechanics
By Rdeems on 04/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I am glad I chose to purchase the Major Guard Extended Warranty on this vehicle! While the car looks nice and drives wonderfully, it has had mechanical problems left and right. I have had to have the following problem corected: A/C would turn itself off, the blinker quit blinking, two front wheel bearings (sp?) had to be replaced, the head gasket cracked and I had to have the gaskets and lifters replaced and the car didn't even have 45000 miles on it.

A Great Car for the Money
By EDK on 03/26/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I bought my Malibu two years ago with 37,000 miles on it. I now have 193,000 miles on it. I use it for deliveries and drive approximately 300 miles a day, so it really gets a workout.It is very comfortable to ride in and has very good space throughout.I have had no problems with this car other than the brakes that seems everyone has had.Chevy dealers charge twice what everyone does for thew brake work... I suggest going to Pep Boys and make sure they put their american made rotors on it, not the Japanese. I am trading this one in for a newer 2001/2002 Malibu with lower mileage.I love it!

Poor workmanship, service
By jenmcm76 on 03/22/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I've had many of the problems mentioned here - break wear, blower not working on 1 or 2, etc. My dealership would NOT fix the brake problem under warranty. They said it was due to 'normal wear and tear', though I only had 30,000 miles on it - probably 90% highway driving. Even in 2000 everyone knew it was a design issue, but they refused to cover it - so it cost me $250. The workmanship is pretty bad. The cover keeps coming off the control panel in the driver's armrest, the trunk liner ripped away from the trunk, and the cargo net hooks ripped out of the liner. The gas tank is smaller than advertised - they claim it's 15-gal, but it's more like 12.5-13 gal.

Malibu gives you excellent value
By gpa on 02/25/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

This is an excellent value. Reliable "appliance" -- starts-goes-stops, on demand, all the time, safely. Just what we need...

When you're in-between cars
By Gutz Man on 02/22/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

If you buy this car with basic features inside and outside, but you surprisingly get 33 MPG on the highway, you overlook some of the small discomforts you experience in the ride. This has been the most reliable and inexpensive car I've ever owned.

Greatest Company Car I have ever had!
By Vetdoc on 02/06/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I have had my Chevy Malibu for 4 years and have had no problems. It is safe and has a lot of power. I had a choice between a ford taurus and a Chevy Malibu and I am happy with my choice, The MALIBU!

opinion
By westbeach on 01/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

Front panel electrical system has been a chronic problem. Blower has had to be repaired 3 times. Intake/Recirc is now broken. Bulbs blow out, a fortune to fix. Brake repair and battery replacement. NOW, the car's transmission will not shift in the cold weather. Needs 5 minutes to warm up to even think of shifting. Repair shop says all these problems are KNOWN issues with this car. Cheve Customer Service was HORRIBLE. Quote: "Once you buy the car, it is your problem". Dealer sold me a warranty, now the warranty company is bankrupt and the dealer said it is my problem.

Learned My Lesson
By MaggieMae on 01/09/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

After owning it for less than a year the a/c switch would not stay on. Luckily that was covered by the warranty. May2003- the head gasket seal blew - goodbye $900! July 2003- the turn signals quit working and the fan would only blow on settings 3, 4, and 5. Bye, bye another $300. January 2004-the radiator cracked and leaked onto the belt, ADIOS to a grand! This doesn't even include the 3 sets of brakes and new rotors that I've put on the car. I can't afford to live this way! $2200 is seven months is too much to pay for a car that is only worth twice that. Next time I'm buying a Honda!