2000 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
No real problems
By Like my car on 11/08/05 14:35 PM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

The car is roomy, and reasonably comfortable. I have not had the problems like I have read about but I have had the 1&2 setting on blower switch go out. The car feels solid and has plenty of get up and go for merging into traffic. I would like headlights that I could shut off if I wanted to, but really it automatic lights are a better idea so I don't have to remember. Car has 64000 miles and the water light came on. Took it to shop and they replaced a gasket. It was under warranty so it dod not cost much. The interior seems chintzy. Cheap pastic buttons and switches, but at least it is reliable.

Never buying a Chevrolet AGAIN!
By WantinANewCarNOW on 11/05/05 14:17 PM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

This was my 1st car. I got it as a college graduation gift. I saw it on the lot and test drove it and fell in love with it (think it was the sunroof and the cheesy woodgrain). A year later, I wish I would have left it there! It's been problem after problem! At first, it was the brakes. Then it was the hazard/signal lights which have their own mind. Now, it's the intake gasket problem that is going to cost a MIN of $1000! And the value of the car has went down tremendously. I am seriously about to trade this car in for an Acura RSX or a Honda Accord or something--- anything but a Chevrolet!

Deceptively Good
By auroura on 10/23/05 15:18 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

When I first looked at the Malibu it seemed that it was a great deal for a fairly reliable car. Unfortuneatly, I didn't research it very well ahead of time. Since purchasing the car I have had 2 MAJOR problems. I have had the fuel manifold leak engine fluid into my oilpan and was unable to get the problem diagnosed properly until I suggested that the problem might be the manifold, and I have a big electrical problem where my turn signal somehow got crossed with my CD player and brake electronics. It was very strange because when I would put on my brakes, my turn signal would start up, or if it was already on, would skip of few blinks. Overall, be careful and make sure you get a warranty.

One bad buy
By fishguy on 09/05/05 15:28 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

Bought this car as a manager model with 2000+ miles. I don't know how a car can be built in this day that has such lousy brakes?! How can GM not know how to make brakes?! This car is loud and scratches with every bump. It has simply been one of the worst buys of my life time and Chevy will not see my money when I make my next purchase.

Never buying another Chevy!
By DIsgruntled on 08/06/05 14:07 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I have had all of the same experiences as everyone has described here. Only difference is that in the past 2 years, we have put $10,000 worth of work into it. Word of warning to those of you who work on the car yourselves. Don't take the sun visors off because they are impossible to get back on without breaking them! We move a lot due to the fact that we are a military family, and our car has had to be fixed in 4 different states over the three year span that we have owned it! I am also not happy with what Chevy calls "routine maintenance" i.e.:EGR valves and fuel injectors.

Love to drive it-just don't hit anything
By Paula Morra on 08/03/05 02:55 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I am the second owner of my 2000 Malibu LS and I love it. The multi-adjustable drivers seat makes for very comfortable driving. It is a 6 cylinder so has good pickup and the engine runs quietly. The interior is nice and has extra storage in the console. However, the front end of this car has been wrecked twice, once by my daughter and once by myself. Both times we were traveling under 25 MPH. The other cars involved sustained very minimal damage. The Malibu however, sustained an awful lot of damage for the impact it incurred. The front bumper is plastic, therefore damages (falls partially off) very easily, along with some other parts of the front end, both times topping $3000 in damage.

My 'Bu
By JL on 03/29/05 12:24 PM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

The quality of this car is a major step up from Chevy cars of the past. Other than being on my 3rd set of brakes, I've had no major mechanical problems. I wouldn't have one without leather, a sunroof, and a spoiler because they really improve the look. I wish the leather seats were a little more comfortable. I have back pain during long rides. The resale on American cars is still poor. I'm trading mine in soon and after 5 years it will bring 1/10 of it's original sticker price. I think this car has held it's value better than that because mechanically it's very sound.

Still Smiling
By VeryBlessed on 03/12/05 23:02 PM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

My wife and I have had this car for 5 years now. We actually bought it in Jan. of 2000 for a steal, $17,700 and the car is fully loaded! I have seen a lot of negative feedback on this car but mine has been a pleasure. We have been truly blessed to have such a dependable car. We have only had small problems such as the hazard light/turn light problem, air conditioning blower not working on 1 or 2, and the window motor broke down. All problems were fixed inexpensively after warranty expired. The car has close to 107,000 miles on it and we have only replaced the brake pads 3 times and no rotor damage at all!! God truly blessed us with this, from the price all the way to the reliabilty.

Great Car
By JiggaWhat on 02/09/05 01:46 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I'm a busy grad student and bought my Malibu for the overall value. I have leather seats (should be heated) A Sunroof, CD player, and rear spoiler. The engine has just enough pep to it to get by. However, GM did have a problem with the front rotors which i had to fix after only putting on an addition 10,000 miles from 35,000 - not fun for $300. Another flaw was the blower fan not working on settings 1 and 2 but you can replace the part yourself and it only cost 25 bucks at a parts shop. (this is a common problem with GM) Besides that no problems, so check the rotors and ask if the blower fan has been fixed and you should be in the clear. I highly recommend this car. Low Price, Great Value!!!

Great Car
By Daveroni on 01/09/05 23:21 PM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

Had a bad experience buying the car but loved it every since. We had problems with the rotors and pads in the beginning but that was under warranty. Then we had the fan control go out on us. Just recently we had the EGR valve go and have had a problem where the AC when it is on MAX it will all of the sudden shut down to the regular AC. But other than those we have been very happy with the car.