Used 2000 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

2000 Chevrolet Malibu

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

250000 miles and going strong
By Sue

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

Bought this as a demo with 13,000 miles. There has not been a day when this car has not started. Not garage kept and tolerates midwestern winters great. Brakes have been done 3 or 4 times, blower resister just replaced last week, was only blowing on 5. $20 part. Oil changed every 5000-10,000 miles...97% highway driven. Avg 25- 29mpg. Power window switch replaced this past summer (about $100). Husband complained when I purchased 60000 mile tires when car had 160000 mies on it. Bought another set at 222000 miles. Only rust is around gas cap. Serpentine belt has been replaced once, unfortunately, not a do it yourself job. Just hoping I can find another car this dependable.

Favorite Features

Comfortable interior.

Got my money's worth
By Jack Kallenbach

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in 2000. It has been a very good car. No major mechanical problems,only normal wear and tare. Everything still works. Uses no oil. It still drives and rides well. The car is kind of basic compared to some others. Nothing fancy, but less to go wrong. The performance is quite acceptable. It's not a muscle car, but it has enough power. I even pull a small trailer. The pushrod V6 turns fewer RPM at highway speeds than more modern overhead cam engines. But because of the low RPM, you seldom hear any engine noise unless you are really standing on the gas. Fuel economy is decent. What struck me most about this car is that the car feels like a larger car than it really is

Favorite Features

Ride and road feel. Decent stereo

Love my Malibu!
By Nano49

2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I bought my car after renting one from Hertz because I loved the way it handled. I'm 6' tall and can't get into just any vehicle comfortable. With the seat pushed all the way back I have plenty of room and my head doesn't scrape the ceiling. I have over 170000 miles on my Malibu now and it's still going strong. Have an ongoing problem with the A/C compressor cutting off and we've replaced the water pump. The oil is changed regularly and I am careful where I buy gas (also had a problem with bad gasoline). Overall, I'd recommend this car to anyone who's interested in good gas mileage and a fun ride.

Favorite Features

Good gas mileage; fun to drive; interior is very "driver-friendly" with plenty of gadgets; quiet ride; easy to maintain.

Suggested Improvements

What's with the A/C compressor cutting off? It's been doing that since I bought the car

Decent Car
By Tom G

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I bought this vehicle used with 49K miles. Within the first year it was in the shop for 3 different fuel system problems. After that point, it became a reliable vehicle, with only minor issues. It is relatively comfortable, drives nicely and gets decent mileage. Compared to other vehicles, repairs and service work are inexpensive. It is a plain, dowdy car, but it serves its purpose.

Favorite Features

Visibility, manueverability, transmission, nice stereo, roominess, inexpensive service and repairs, huge dealer network.

Suggested Improvements

More padding on seats, fix the squeaks, A/C switches between circulating and non-circulating.

2000 Chevy Malibu LS
By Mario

2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

Very nice to drive. Very comfortable for extremely long trips. Love to take it when I have to go to Kansas. Buttons are very easy to use and everything is in a good spot.

Favorite Features

The stereo (it's not a Bose, but it sounds like one if not better). The speed (very quick for a V6. Feels like a V8 sometimes especially when merging). The backseat space/comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Needs a Repeat button for tracks. Wish the car didn't shimmy if you floor it. Steering is a little though.