2000 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
250000 miles and going strong
By Sue on 11/15/08 07:26 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought this as a demo with 13,000 miles. There has not been a day when this car has not started. Not garage kept and tolerates midwestern winters great. Brakes have been done 3 or 4 times, blower resister just replaced last week, was only blowing on 5. $20 part. Oil changed every 5000-10,000 miles...97% highway driven. Avg 25- 29mpg. Power window switch replaced this past summer (about $100). Husband complained when I purchased 60000 mile tires when car had 160000 mies on it. Bought another set at 222000 miles. Only rust is around gas cap. Serpentine belt has been replaced once, unfortunately, not a do it yourself job. Just hoping I can find another car this dependable.

Got my money's worth
By Jack Kallenbach on 11/14/08 08:03 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in 2000. It has been a very good car. No major mechanical problems,only normal wear and tare. Everything still works. Uses no oil. It still drives and rides well. The car is kind of basic compared to some others. Nothing fancy, but less to go wrong. The performance is quite acceptable. It's not a muscle car, but it has enough power. I even pull a small trailer. The pushrod V6 turns fewer RPM at highway speeds than more modern overhead cam engines. But because of the low RPM, you seldom hear any engine noise unless you are really standing on the gas. Fuel economy is decent. What struck me most about this car is that the car feels like a larger car than it really is

Love my Malibu!
By Nano49 on 09/22/08 13:41 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I bought my car after renting one from Hertz because I loved the way it handled. I'm 6' tall and can't get into just any vehicle comfortable. With the seat pushed all the way back I have plenty of room and my head doesn't scrape the ceiling. I have over 170000 miles on my Malibu now and it's still going strong. Have an ongoing problem with the A/C compressor cutting off and we've replaced the water pump. The oil is changed regularly and I am careful where I buy gas (also had a problem with bad gasoline). Overall, I'd recommend this car to anyone who's interested in good gas mileage and a fun ride.

Decent Car
By Tom G on 08/11/08 15:35 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this vehicle used with 49K miles. Within the first year it was in the shop for 3 different fuel system problems. After that point, it became a reliable vehicle, with only minor issues. It is relatively comfortable, drives nicely and gets decent mileage. Compared to other vehicles, repairs and service work are inexpensive. It is a plain, dowdy car, but it serves its purpose.

2000 Chevy Malibu LS
By Mario on 04/29/08 09:55 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Very nice to drive. Very comfortable for extremely long trips. Love to take it when I have to go to Kansas. Buttons are very easy to use and everything is in a good spot.

I will only buy Chevy now
By only chevy for me no on 04/07/08 14:00 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I just wanted to let anyone out there thinking of buying one of these cars to do so. My daughter wrecked mine into a pole head on, the airbags went off, and she didn't have a scratch on her, she walked away unhurt.. This car was built sound and tough and my daughter is living proof. I want another just like it.

Dont' Buy a 2000 Chevy Malibu
By Augfirst on 02/21/08 10:48 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

The 2000 Chevy Malibu is a poorly built car. It seems that I and many other people have had trouble with the Intake Manifold Gasket which needs to be replaced about every 50000 miles,I am already on my second gasket. The cost is around $600. Along with ABS, fan switch, and brakes this makes for a very expensive car to maintain.

Never Again!
By beatlegirl9 on 01/19/08 12:14 PM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I've had this car 7 yrs & I've had nothing but problems. It only has 67,000 miles as I don't do much driving except work & errands. I also do the reg. maintenance. I have an extended warranty that has been my lifeline in terms of shelling out money. Every time I take it to the dealership for repair, the same problems start back up a couple of weeks later. I have the manifold gasket repaired, my transmission replaced, the drivers side control panel replaced, the a/c control panel replaced(3x), fuel pump, a couple of the fuel injectors, the water pump & some others I am sure I am leaving out. Will never buy a Chevy or GM ever again based on the nightmare I have had w/ this car. Buyer Beware!

Better luck next time
By two timer on 07/20/07 01:09 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

So this is my second Malibu since I started driving. I've had a Hyundai, Nissan, a Mazda, and the two Malibus. Wrecked the first one, bought this because I liked the first one so much. However, in the past six months I've had the water pump and the taillights mysteriously go out, didn't know that could happen. For the most part I've been pretty happy with it up until now, torn between, fixing this one or getting a new car. $250 is my quote for the taillights, not even sure if that includes the dash and console lights that don't work as well. All in all a great car as long as I don't go out at night.

Got my money's worth
By CEL on 03/06/07 14:10 PM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought car new and have put 166,000 miles on it in 7 years. The engine (2.8l) and transmission are great for what I paid. Have lived with 1and 2 blower speeds out and A/C kicking on/off for last few years. Twice I have had to have fuel pump replaced (in tank!). But overall I have gotten my money's worth.