2000 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
2000 Chevy Malibu
By Michael in Atlanta on 02/05/10 20:26 PM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

We bought this car in October 2000 and now at 107k, it has finally died. So many problems every 10,000 miles. Will not miss this vehicle. Wasted so much time and money on the vehicle. Not only will we NEVER purchase any GM product again, if we ever won one on a game show, we would sell it immediately or drive off a cliff. Good riddance to this piece of junk vehicle

Gets Me From A to B
By Jeff Mackin on 01/29/10 19:22 PM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

This car has a decent amount of pep for a V6 engine. The ABS Brakes stink! Did I mention that I hate the ABS brakes??

Great Car
By Lauren on 06/19/09 07:57 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

When I bought my car it only had 28,000 miles on it. It had been sitting for a couple years so it needed new tires, brake work, and air conditioner fluid. Runs great, never has any problems. Drives extremely smooth. I usually get about 28 mpg. It was my first car. I'm a junior in high school and I'm sure this car will last me well through college.

This car is JUNK
By Craig on 06/14/09 14:36 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I bought it used and I have had it over 5 years. Gas mileage is not bad. The interior is OK. I have put brakes on it nearly every year. The A/C randomly stops working. The blower only works on 3 or higher. I have had coolant leaks. Now, my mechanic tells me there is nothing I can do to keep the engine from overheating. The body underneath the gas cap is rusted though. I have seen this on many Malibu's. The turn signals randomly stop working. Don't even think of buying this car, even as a transportation special.

Maliboooo! Bad Car!
By Malibu no more on 06/08/09 08:32 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

This car had been horrible! Bought it used from a dealer and bought the extended warranty, that was lucky as the knocking and the leaking head gasket wrecked the engine. The insurance paid for its replacement. Then the second engine started doing the same thing! It made a loud knocking sound that "GM does not consider it a problem." Then it overheated and the mechanic did not think it is worth replacing this engine. So the car is junk. We have had the gas door rusting issue and the ignition switch not working issue,the and the turn signals not working issue too. The interior is cheap and we had to replace two speakers that failed. The fan motor does not work in the low speed settings

GM stop making lemons!
By MikeDJ on 04/26/09 16:09 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

We bought our 2000 Malibu couple of years ago, thinking is a good balance between price, performance and quality! We were sooo wrong! Although the price was cheap, but not cheap enough to justify the poor performance and the overall quality. The engine is a junk (we had to replace the intake gasket), the A/C system has to be recharged monthly (the compressor and few other things has to be replaced)-still is not working properly! Overall costly repairs!!!

Suprisingly reliable!
By twelveboy on 04/06/09 21:45 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

My family bought this car in 2003 and it had 30k miles on it. We barely took care of it. I got it at 70K miles a few years later and drove it into the ground and it was always very reliable! Great acceleration for a standard V6 Chevy! Seats were uncomfortable on long trips but for the price and treatment we gave it, it was an extremely reliable car. It was sold to a friend of mine, it now has 115k miles on it and still has needed nothing in repairs! I cannot believe it!!!

Run To The Hills
By Mot on 03/01/09 12:13 PM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

When I bought my 2000 Chevy Malibu in 2003 it had a little over 24000 miles on it.It seemed a good deal for just over 10000. As of 2009 I have probably had over $7000 in repairs. Right now I think the power steering system has passed away. I have had all sort of leaks and wire replacements. I was told by my mechanic that due to the Dexcool coolant that the manual says you are supposed to use it messes up various wires and causes it to overheat. If it wasn't for parental help I would probably be broke and in the gutter. A little after I bought it when I went to use the AC or heater the fan levels periodically stopped working. Driver's side sun visor somehow broke off in my hands. Be wary

Frequent Repairs
By critter on 02/28/09 22:52 PM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

There is not much more to say except that I had multiple repairs on this car just months after I had purchased it. The coolant was coppery tan, needed changed and flushed although it only had 28,000 miles on it to begin with. Horrible, problems from day 1, had to have repairs before the 1st week, drove a borrowed car from dealer.

Junk
By Jim on 01/26/09 05:51 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

These cars are junk. Horrible brake system. Intake gaskets prone to failure. Piston slap noise when started cold. A/C problems. Ignition switch and other electrical problems. I could go on. A company that sells a car this poorly designed should be shunned by the buying public forever.