2000 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
Bigger is not necesarily better.
By runwithsue on 07/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought the Malibu because it was larger than the 1995 Cavalier and a quieter ride, but I have many more problems with the Malibu than I ever had with the Cavalier. I am at 51,000 miles and about to replace the rotors, which have warped for the second time. The air conditioner keeps switching off for no reason as does the air re-circulation. In a heavy rain, my brake lights shorted out. I'm afraid I will be going a new direction for the next new vehicle.

malibusucks
By jlk on 07/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

This car amkes the noises and creaks that you would expect from a 10 year old vehicle. The brakes go quite often. Funny noises come from behind the dashboard and the heater and air conditioner lasted a total of 5 months on anything lower than three. It does not handle well on turns and the power steering goes quite easily. I would not suggest that you buy this car. The looks and name cover up the cheapness of this car.

Expensive to drive!
By mpsrent on 06/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

In 18,000 miles (30,000 km) this car has had three front brake jobs. Rotors were turned at 7,000 miles, replaced at 11,000 miles and front brake bads entirely worn out at 18,000 miles. The car is not driven much, with many miles on the highway. The dealer claims the brake issue is a design flaw. The front strut bushings have been replaced. The JD Powers quality control rating is based on defects in the first 100 days. What about after that time? The long term quality is what you'd expect of a 1970's car. Very disappointing, I wish I purchased an Impala.

Exceeded my expectations
By AndyRach on 06/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I have done nothing to this car except change the oil and tires. It has performed in an excellent manner.

Keep Away
By Frantz on 06/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Full rotor replacement at my expense at 14,000 miles qith dealer offering to pay half then backing out.Only paid half by going to Tuffy instead of dealer and Tuffy warranteed product.Replaced valves at about 24,000, then whole engine at 26,000, constant electrical problems and ZERO help from GM or from dealer.These cars are a natural citrus product, good for lemonade!

Its Great
By Gary Weiss on 05/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

After 26 months I have, 47,500 miles on it. It has been on many trips and other stuff and is great. At 30K I had to put new front breaks, otherwise perfect. The radio speakers are starting to have problems but thats minor.Its great but it.

No Complaints
By Zippy on 05/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

I owned a Ford Mustang... I was going to drive it until I got more money but it crapped out on me. So I got a deal and half through the company I work for, dealers invoice with a 1500 dollar rebate for the Malibu. I used to own Avengers and Camaros and Mustangs, ALL can handle "hard" driving... the Malibu really can't. If you drive hard, like take corners to quick and jump off the line... then by pass this value... I have replaced two tires and all four rotars and brake pads... I am currently at 18,800 miles. IF you are a conservative driver, then this is DEFINATELY the car for you... Over all NOT a bad car at all, just dont drive it hard.

Solid Car
By theBartman on 05/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

I was surprised to read some of the negative remarks about brakes with the 2000 Malibu. I bought one new in Oct. '99 and am just having my first brake work done today (rotors and pads) at approx. 44,000 miles. The only complaint I have with the car, which I saw someone else mention, is that the heat/AC directional dial doesn't work as advertised. I'm happy when I can at least get partial air headed in the desired direction.

Excellent Value
By dboca on 05/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I am pleased with my ownership experience so far. Never had any problem for 34000 miles. I had to change the brake pads at 31000 miles though, which I consider a bit early. But I still feel I got excellent value in return of my investment.

Very Disappointed
By C Boehlke on 05/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Bought my Malibu after 7yrs with a Cavalier. Thought that I would have the same wonderful, reliable car as with the Cavalier. Unfortunately, I have many mechanical problems with this car. Brakes!! were replaced, gear problem-- transmission work, A/C fan unit replaced, difficulty changing the A/C (or heat) from floor to defrost and everything in between. Beware to anyone buying a used one..it may have been someone else's problem.