Used 2000 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

2000 Malibu
By MPB

2000 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for 4 years and haven't had any issues. The only things to have gone wrong were fan speeds 1 & 2 on the AC broke while under warranty, and the coolant light on the dashboard came on when it shouldn't have. Other than that, I have kept up with the regular maintenance and haven't had a problem. I'm very pleased with the car.

Remote keyless entry. CD player. Plenty of leg room.

Make a tape deck and cd player standard. Have the windows go all the way down in the back of the car.

Good Frosting, Bad Cake
By AmDisappointed

2000 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

Way to many problems for a 4 yr old car. The brakes (rotors+pads), intake valve, alternator, starter, A/C switch, battery, and who knows what other surprises await. . . I regret that GM does not stand behind their cars like Honda - they know those rotors are trash, but tell you it's your problem. And they wonder why they lose market share.

Good power, good mileage.

HMMM, how about some brakes, intake valve, alternator, starter..(the irony was that the dealer told me that I now have a lifetime warranty on the alternator and the starter) - why not do that from the beginning?

Nice Car, Bad Mechanics
By Rdeems

2000 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I am glad I chose to purchase the Major Guard Extended Warranty on this vehicle! While the car looks nice and drives wonderfully, it has had mechanical problems left and right. I have had to have the following problem corected: A/C would turn itself off, the blinker quit blinking, two front wheel bearings (sp?) had to be replaced, the head gasket cracked and I had to have the gaskets and lifters replaced and the car didn't even have 45000 miles on it.

It handles great!

A Great Car for the Money
By EDK

2000 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I bought my Malibu two years ago with 37,000 miles on it. I now have 193,000 miles on it. I use it for deliveries and drive approximately 300 miles a day, so it really gets a workout.It is very comfortable to ride in and has very good space throughout.I have had no problems with this car other than the brakes that seems everyone has had.Chevy dealers charge twice what everyone does for thew brake work... I suggest going to Pep Boys and make sure they put their american made rotors on it, not the Japanese. I am trading this one in for a newer 2001/2002 Malibu with lower mileage.I love it!

The Sunroof,Stereo with tape and CD,Remote Trunk release and all the Power options.Also the doors can not be locked as long as the key is in the ignition.

None

Poor workmanship, service
By jenmcm76

2000 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I've had many of the problems mentioned here - break wear, blower not working on 1 or 2, etc. My dealership would NOT fix the brake problem under warranty. They said it was due to 'normal wear and tear', though I only had 30,000 miles on it - probably 90% highway driving. Even in 2000 everyone knew it was a design issue, but they refused to cover it - so it cost me $250. The workmanship is pretty bad. The cover keeps coming off the control panel in the driver's armrest, the trunk liner ripped away from the trunk, and the cargo net hooks ripped out of the liner. The gas tank is smaller than advertised - they claim it's 15-gal, but it's more like 12.5-13 gal.

It's not a horrible car - besides the brakes, it just has lots of little issues. Go to Midas or CarX to get the lifetime brakes - it costs a little more ($350), but you get lifetime replacements.

No major problems, but the Malibu has been disappointing - I am not going to buy another one. Since GM does not honor the warranty on this car, I will probably not buy another GM product either.