2000 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
Nice Looking - Citrus Malibu
By guacamayas on 11/06/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

Done several long trips and the car has performed good. Braking in the city and under rain is a pain, I feel the car is going to loose a brake pad or is not going to stop at all! Even I took it to the dealer for revision, it makes annoying sounds and bumps (ABS seems to be out of sync). On parking driveways where the road has different levels for water drain I can hear noises everywhere in the car, it seems is going to crack.

boring but reliable
By greatone79 on 10/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

nothin wrong with my car since i got it, except for a leak in the oil tank about a year after i got it. car is very reliable and has shocking acceleration for a "family" style car

Malibu Surprise!
By shulse on 09/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

Malibu Surprise! That's what we humorously refer to our Malibu LS as, if you think it will be there, ha, gotcha and surprise.... Seriously though, I did expect more from a $18,500 car purchase. This is unfortunate, unreliable, and costly to keep going. I have had 6 warranty calls, a brake job, and now the electrical is out. Take my advice, buy a different car.

33400 miles later Dependable car so far
By BJW from Chicago on 09/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I bought my Malibu in May of 2000. It currently has 33,400 miles on it. The first thing that went wong was the selector knob for the blower. The blower was blowing out of of all areas. When we took this apart the black rubber gasket was not in place, rejusted it and now it is fine. My tires are cracked inside the tread. One of my tires is bubbled up on the outside & wobbling. No brake problems yet. There is knocking coming from under the hood until the car warms up.

Fast ass mid-size car!
By Squeeks on 09/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

My malibu is a purple colour with a hot spoiler,bra and crhome exahust. The interior is a lame checker weaving but I eventually got used to it. Iv'e had my share of problems but overall I would recomened it to anyone. I have a big problem with the pistion making a knocking sound so I took it in and they said it was normal but it sure dosn't sound like it! And just like most malibu owners my brakes keep warping and i will need new roters next time it happens. Iv'e noticed that alot of malibus seem to get front driver side flats all the time. O'well.

Love my Malibu
By chevpower on 08/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I love my Malibu, it is classy, stylish, and very comfortable to ride/drive in. I love the Bronze exterior as well, paint job is excellent. The best part of this car is the power, excellent kick! The trunk is very, very roomy, and I love all the room on the inside of the vehicle. I would buy a Malibu again! This car is an exceptional value for as little as $10,000.

Problems, but fun
By DMaze on 08/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

Despite the problems that I have had, I really enjoy my malibu. I have had problems with the AC (a electronic problem caused it to flicker on & off - fixed under warranty), have had the rocker arm replaced, and am concerned about the life of my brake system. But despite the problems, I am really enjoying my car.

Change the brakes and check the oil
By wdowns9 on 08/14/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

Replaced brakes 3 times in the first 15000 miles, had rotors turned twice once at GMs expsense. The next time the dealer refused to do anything so I went to another. They turned the rotors for me..no charge. Transmission went out at 41000, major overhaul no replacement. Went out again at 44000 no replacement. Dealer replaced my rotors, brakes and did a bunch of other technical bulletin work without any problems. Car runs well but I'm always suspect of the transmission after its two previous failures.

i would not buy this vehicle again
By esther peterson on 08/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

this car has had to go back to the dealer 3x for brake repair. I paid $17K hoping to get a reliable car after my husband died instead I feel that I must trade it. Just today, the resistor on the lower part the A/C had to be replaced.

Crappy Brakes
By willeaton on 08/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

Coming up on 40k miles and have had to had the rotors and brake pads replaced 5 times! Dealer gave me the same bs re: design flaw the first time...3 brake jobs later they still pulsate. I've submitted my complaint to the lemon law lawyers to review. I want my money back. A/C seems about ready to die (flickering on and off occassionally) and my power steering fluid is now all over my driveway. Luckily my dealership is not charging me to fix the pulsating brakes....rotors have 14k mile warranty above and beyond the new car warranty. Brakes also seem to slip in wet weather. I don't feel too safe driving in rain with this car.