Used 2000 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
malibu 2000
By bhaberman on 01/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

fun to drive, lots of initial power, good sound system,

good vehicle
By kve754 on 01/06/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

Very good performance so far. Few trips to dealer to fix climate control and audio. Overall very dependable and an excellent value for the money if you want to keep the vehicle for longer period

Lemon from Hell
By Tom O on 01/02/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

This car has had two fuel injectors replaced, in-tank fuel pump replaced, fuel filters replaced, light sensors replaced(they dim the instrument lights), wow and it was only two yers old with only 35000 miles. After a short 60 mile trip, the car would not start. Had to be towed for repairs. This has been the least dependable car we've ever owned and I have owned 15 cars myself. This car is unreliable and its not worth its good looks and nice interior to even own one of these cars. Booo...Hissss Tom O

Sorely disappointed
By Jusluvinlife2 on 12/30/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

Purchased this vehicle as a program car. Have been very displeased with the quality. The turn signals have a short in them appeared at 20K miles, makes for a truly annoying buzz everytime you turn the sinals on. The airbag light had a short, appeared at approximately the same time was told it was a separate issue. The hazard light switch is going out, likes to flash whenever it pleases.The brakes have a serious problem dealer stated poor design, would continue to be a problem. They were repaired under warranty but the problem has returned 20K miles later. The leather interior is cheap. The leather is worn in several places even small tears.

Y2K Malibu LS
By JLT on 12/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

Bought this on Dec 31, 1999, to replace my 93 piece of junk Taurus. I was leery as well, heard mixed reviews on this. Three years and 45,000 miles later, I am quite pleased with this car, considering what you get for the money. Excellent V6 acceleration, good passenger room, large trunk, many features. Only problems, leaky intake manifold, affected the heater (fixed in a day), and slightly warped front brake rotors (again, fixed in a day, under warranty). I feel like I got a great value with this.

Malibu LS
By malibudriver on 12/19/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

Nice looking car, comfortable interior but many mechanical problems. Brakes, engine hesitation at freeway speed, cruise control not functioning etc. I really like everything about the car except for the mechanical defects and my dealership does not offer good customer service when something goes wrong. Safety is a high priority for me and when my lease is up in May 2003 I will be happy to get into another car that I can feel safe driving. The brake problem is just a little too much and seems to be irreparable. The 2000 Malibu seems to be hit or miss and I missed on this one.

we got the better one
By Jeremy on 11/19/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

we got the better one you people just don't know how to treat a car our car has 49000 miles on it not a thing wrong with it so quit dissing the car you car abusers

Amazingly Misinformed Dealer
By tk_ki on 11/18/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

Okay, we've anyone thinking about buying a used OR new Malibu should first check out a Camry or Altima. The engine has had a tapping noise from day one, 4th set of brakes in 35,000 miles, A/C has a mind of it's own, rattles get progressively worse, front end is mushy, dealer acts as though Malibus have no known service issues. HA! There have been over 200 "service notices" since this particular style of Malibu came to market in 1997. My dealer hates to see me coming at this point. My vehicle is leased, and is going back to the dealer where I purchased it from at lease end. BEWARE of OFF LEASE MALIBUS!

Its Ok?
By Jonboy on 11/13/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I dont love it but I dont hate it. The car has a unique shape to it that I like. Its bold and rigidy. Brakes stink on it but manages to stop. I gotta say for a Chevy 3.1 V6 170hp, thats pretty good. Its got great acceleration,but it just sounds like a truck. Its an ok car in my book.oh its got good speakers for factory.

Getting a Honda
By malipooh on 11/08/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2000 Malibu in 10/00. I decided to go with the Malibu over an Accord to save money. I had to replace the rotors at 34,600. Then again at 38000, 44000, and 48000. My lower intake manifold cracked at 46000, and that was merely $1600 to get fixed. I too get colder air from my recirculate than from my A/C. My biggest complaint is the resale value. I got the Malibu for $3000 less than the Accord,I still owe over $9K and it's trade in is just over $6K. If I had bought the Accord I would owe just over $11K and it would be worth $14K. So instead of saving $3K I lost $6K(not including repair costs). Bottom line? I'm buying a Honda.