Used 2000 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

A solid car
By smithns

2000 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 2000 Malibu in 2003 with 60k miles. The owner was a senior citizen who had made lots of road trips and meticulously kept up with maintenance and had all receipts to prove it. I've now had my Malibu for 9 years and love it. I've had to do most of the expected routine maintenance - brakes, rotors, tires, filters. There's been a few pieces of non routine maintenance but overall this has been a great vehicle for me. I'm now at 162k and expect to take it to 200k+. When I'm done, I hope I can find a similar car - malibu from same era with meticulous records and low miles and likely non aggressive driving previous owner.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage ranges from 25-30/gallon. The completely removable back seat. The stock audio system has alot of bass. Power Steering and brake fluid fine after 13 years (mechanics see no need to flush, fluid color is like new). I can change the oil without even jacking the car up. Its not the easiest thing but its quite doable. The oil pan plug is a funny angle but reachable. Radiator is also easy to change. Alternator, starter, fuel filter, oil, coolant, air filter, radio, ignition, seat belts (got a chunk of wood in it), tie rods, windsheild wipers, etc are all DIY repairs for a semi handy owner. Enough leg room for a 6'4 dude.

Suggested Improvements

Could have more room for passengers in back. The stock CD player wouldn't play burned CDs and I replaced. A/C controllers are notorious for dying slowly, and settings 1-2 die within a few days of installing a new one. Transmission fluid is difficult to replace or even see how full it is. You must remove an engine mount to replace the serpentine belt. The rear spark plugs are very hard to get to and more than a non mechanic owner can usually handle. The rear spark plugs basically disintegrated when I finally got them off and had to grab piece by piece. Thankfully this is a ever 50-100k mile change. Radiator hose fell off at one point.

Very Reliable
By easy48

2000 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car brand new in 2000, and it has been a good car. As with all cars there's maintenance and repairs that need to be done, especially after driving it over 100K miles. It is still running good after 111K and I am confident it will go to 200K. The biggest issue with this car was the anti-theft system. At about 75K it became so sensitive that when I turned the key to start it, the system would turn on, and I would have to wait 5 minutes before it would start. I had the ignition switch replaced and never had the issue again. Also, the cruise control does not stay locked in, but don't use anyway so it's not a problem for me.

Favorite Features

Good power and excellent acceleration onto freeways.

So far so good - just purchased with 200K on it
By jimntempe

2000 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I read most of the reviews here and it almost made me back out of my decision to by a 2000 Malibu LS. But the car was like new, even with 200K miles, and it was very inexpensive compared to the other junk I'd looked at for the same price or more. The prior owner had quite of few of his repair papers and like many of these cars it had the intake manifold redone, a new fuel pump, new water pump, plugs, wires, and one injector, all at around 100K. Also had brakes done several times but no more often them most other cars.

Favorite Features

I like it's looks better then the equivalent imported vehicles. It seems to be holding up as well as a friend of mines imports too. The engine is wonderful, very spunky for 3.1 L. Steering is nicely weighted. It rides and handles great, the radio/cd works great, very few of the interior parts have any problems, one of the lock switches has the tip broken off but it still works.

Suggested Improvements

With a 12 year old car there's not much point in suggesting improvements but the main things GM should have done a better job on were the abysmal design of the power window lifts - they are almost designed to fail, there is one plastic part in them that is just way over-stressed. If GM had simply made it out of metal with nylon inserts all the failed window lifts would have been avoided. They should have come up with a better intake manifold gasket too. That's the kind of thing that should last for the lift of the engine, not be a maintenance item.

not bad
By sixohthree81

2000 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

had my Bu for about 2 years, only problem was external head gasket leak. just kept antifreeze in and drove it like that for over a year. had to send to junk yard due to my stupidity with jacking it up in the rear in the wrong spot and bent something that cause the back end to come around when you hit the breaks. didnt want to take the time to fix as I got another car I was fixing. great car tho loved everything about it!

Favorite Features

control around corners at high speeds and reliability

Suggested Improvements

head gasket!

Pretty Good
By halfdemon

2000 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I have had a few issues here and there, got it for free, so all the repairs are good up-to 2,000 dollars. Small leak in A/C lines, repaired and filled for $75 at a Ford lot. I like the car, feels good, great gas mileage, and other than a/c and brakes no problems.

Suggested Improvements

Better electrical system