2000 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
A solid car
By smithns on 07/17/12 07:51 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 2000 Malibu in 2003 with 60k miles. The owner was a senior citizen who had made lots of road trips and meticulously kept up with maintenance and had all receipts to prove it. I've now had my Malibu for 9 years and love it. I've had to do most of the expected routine maintenance - brakes, rotors, tires, filters. There's been a few pieces of non routine maintenance but overall this has been a great vehicle for me. I'm now at 162k and expect to take it to 200k+. When I'm done, I hope I can find a similar car - malibu from same era with meticulous records and low miles and likely non aggressive driving previous owner.

not bad
By sixohthree81 on 03/16/12 15:09 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

had my Bu for about 2 years, only problem was external head gasket leak. just kept antifreeze in and drove it like that for over a year. had to send to junk yard due to my stupidity with jacking it up in the rear in the wrong spot and bent something that cause the back end to come around when you hit the breaks. didnt want to take the time to fix as I got another car I was fixing. great car tho loved everything about it!

I love it, but...
By alexissunshine on 08/25/11 11:22 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I do love my Malibu - it was a gift, but it's just eating all my money. I got in in February '11 with 115k miles and by August '11 it has 123k, and I've put in almost $1,000 to keep it running. I just blame the water pump/serpentine belt on the age and the control arm on our terrible roads, but it's kicking my butt. I do love my Ali though :) It's not a terrible car but I just don't have the money for the upkeep.

Buyer beware
By F_U_Malibu on 07/07/10 16:41 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

Ok this car is junk, why did they make this? Someone gave me this car. For free, all I had to do was fix it up. Leaking coolant, malfunctioning ignition switch, new starter, new head gasket, struts go every couple months, intake gasket went, blower only works on 3 and up, signals don't work, omg the list goes on and on and on, not to mention I've only had this for a little over a year. Don't buy it, or take it for free. Worst car ever built, I will get my vengeance Chevy.

Just Pour Your Money Down the Drain
By mindgraffiti on 05/27/10 08:37 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I have owned this used car for 7+ years. Stuck with a 3 year loan, only to shell out more money immediately after buying it! Within the first 6 months, when it hit 50k miles, the engine completely DIED. Spent $4k on a new one. Even after a NEW one, I've replaced the intake gasket 4 times. It's gradually gained a large 6" round rust hole near the bottom of the fuel door. The ignition fails randomly and after 3 repair shops, no one can find the problem. The A/C needs recharged every month during the summer and on 80°F & hotter days, you can't tell it's working. I've quit making repairs ($6k during 3 yr loan!) and am driving it til it's dead. After this car, nothing will make me buy GM again.

Goodbye Old Pal
By BOBB on 02/28/10 15:03 PM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

traded my 2000 Malibu for a 2010 HHR. Only has 48000 miles, but I never had anything close to a major problem with this car. For 9 years and 9 months it always got me where I wanted to go. It was a very luxurious car for the price I paid. For the last couple of years it sounded like there was a Mexican troope playing castanets in the engine, but I still got 24 miles per gallon. It was one of the best cars I've had and I'm 66 years old.

2000 Chevy Malibu
By Michael in Atlanta on 02/05/10 20:26 PM (PST)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

We bought this car in October 2000 and now at 107k, it has finally died. So many problems every 10,000 miles. Will not miss this vehicle. Wasted so much time and money on the vehicle. Not only will we NEVER purchase any GM product again, if we ever won one on a game show, we would sell it immediately or drive off a cliff. Good riddance to this piece of junk vehicle

Maliboooo! Bad Car!
By Malibu no more on 06/08/09 08:32 AM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

This car had been horrible! Bought it used from a dealer and bought the extended warranty, that was lucky as the knocking and the leaking head gasket wrecked the engine. The insurance paid for its replacement. Then the second engine started doing the same thing! It made a loud knocking sound that "GM does not consider it a problem." Then it overheated and the mechanic did not think it is worth replacing this engine. So the car is junk. We have had the gas door rusting issue and the ignition switch not working issue,the and the turn signals not working issue too. The interior is cheap and we had to replace two speakers that failed. The fan motor does not work in the low speed settings

GM stop making lemons!
By MikeDJ on 04/26/09 16:09 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

We bought our 2000 Malibu couple of years ago, thinking is a good balance between price, performance and quality! We were sooo wrong! Although the price was cheap, but not cheap enough to justify the poor performance and the overall quality. The engine is a junk (we had to replace the intake gasket), the A/C system has to be recharged monthly (the compressor and few other things has to be replaced)-still is not working properly! Overall costly repairs!!!

Suprisingly reliable!
By twelveboy on 04/06/09 21:45 PM (PDT)

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

My family bought this car in 2003 and it had 30k miles on it. We barely took care of it. I got it at 70K miles a few years later and drove it into the ground and it was always very reliable! Great acceleration for a standard V6 Chevy! Seats were uncomfortable on long trips but for the price and treatment we gave it, it was an extremely reliable car. It was sold to a friend of mine, it now has 115k miles on it and still has needed nothing in repairs! I cannot believe it!!!