I expected more from Chevy
By Scott on
1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan
The 1999 V6 Malibus have many known engineering flaws. I purchased mine new with less than 20 miles on it and it's going strong at around 90 thousand miles with numerous repairs. My problems are quite common from reading these forums. Replaced the brakes/rotors at least 7-10 times over the past decade at a conservative cost of about $5000-$7000 and I'm not an aggressive driver. I've had the head gasket replaced due to the known Dex cool antifreeze problem ($700), had the alternator changed once, the pass key theft system needed to be replaced ($300) Power windows stick in the heat, A/C went bad.... I thought Chevy had a reputation as a reliable car, guess not the 1999 Malibus.
Favorite Features
Good legroom, decent power from the 6 cylinder with good fuel economy. Huge trunk. Without the design flaws this would have been a great car for the money.
Suggested Improvements
Better customer service from GM. Admit your engineering mistakes and fix them. I'm now hesitant to buy Chevy due to design flaws and poor follow up by GM. The reason I bought this car new was it was cost effective with a lot of nice options, now Malibus are too overpriced.