Used 1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Most Helpful|
Get a warranty
By jl

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2003 with 40,000 miles on it. It now has 91,000. My Corsica had the head crack at 59,000 miles, so I bought this. The mechanic at the dealership told me to get a warranty because I would have the intake gasket go bad in a year. Three months later, he was right. Two weeks after that, the fuel pump. I am now on its third intake gasket, third alternator, second water pump, fourth set of brake rotors, and the list goes on. The $1300.00 warranty paid for itself twice. The blower resistor also went bad, causing only two speeds of the defroster to work. Now I think the freon needs charged for a second time. When the car works, it works well.

Favorite Features

Smooth drive and good pick up.

Suggested Improvements

No Dex-Cool. Better coolant system and longer lasting fuel pump.

Indestructible
By carmaster2000

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car 3 years ago with 117,000 miles on it for $2000 which was a great deal. Now I have 192,000 miles on it and it is still running well. It has been through 3 hellish Wisconsin winters and has always performed well in the snow without traction control. The interior is roomy and comfortable, and it rides smoothly with decent acceleration. On this old car, with 25k miles a year, the only problems I have ever had are: -The blower motor took a crap and had to be replaced. 80 bucks no big deal. -It has the infamous rusty spot below the gas cap. -Had to replace faulty O2 sensor. Really this car has been through so much, long trips, extreme heat/cold, it has been very good to me

Favorite Features

Leather seating is comfortable and interior is roomy, good handling with virtually no torque steering problems and rides smoothly. Roomy trunk and rear seating, extremely reliable engine with reliable components. This car has not been treated nicely here in Wisconsin, and it has been nothing but good to me.

Suggested Improvements

For goodness sake that rust spot under the gas cap area is on every late 90's/early 2000's Malibu I see. Also I have noticed on a lot of them as well they could use improvement on the HVAC system, with faulty toggle switches/blower motors all around.

Stranded on I-20E in Carroll County, Ga ...
By rod1969

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I'm starting to hate my 1999 Malibu. I've had it for approx. 5 years now. It has run hot numerous times. I've changed the head gaskets in it twice (along with getting re-worked heads installed [due to them cracking]). Cracked heads happened in 2011, and again this year (2013). Both times an old friend of mine helped me out by getting the heads "milled" for me (approx $500 total), and putting them back in. Saved me tons of money btw. Now I'm having problems with it running hot again. The "check engine" light stays on. My error codes were PO401, P1404, & PO306 four days ago. It went off when I cleaned the EGR valve and removed the carbon that had accumulated in the hoses, but it's back on now.

Favorite Features

The PO306 code indicates that there is a misfiring in cylinder number 6. I'm now researching if it affects the catalytic converter ... and how. Maybe that's what has the car running hot now ... My only 'favorite feature' was to dive the car when I NEEDED to ... now that seems to be less and less as the days continue to pass .... Since I've owned this car, I've had to change the water pump, get the heads worked over twice, get new head gaskets twice, cleaned the EGR valve and changed the gasket, along with all the other miscellaneous costs associated with repair (fluids, caps, rings, lubes, etc.) I can't necessarily complain about the tune-ups (you have to have those) ...

Suggested Improvements

Ultimately. this car has been a major PAIN in my a**. The EGR valve was probably getting stuck in the open position due to the gunk that is left by the coolant (in my opinion, though I'm not a mechanic). My first 'suggested improvement' is ... Get Rid of that D*MNED DEX-COOL ...

Very Good Quality Car! I Love It!
By malibuls1

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

My grandma bought this car new with only a few miles. She wasn't easy on the car. She would run hard from red lights and the car pulled a big mountain 5 miles long and another 30 something every day for 11 years for her work. The car now has 207,500 miles on the original engine and transmission and STILL has great passing power! I am 18 and I bought this car from her last year. I take it on very long trips(200 miles at a time). People don't think it's reliable anymore with so many miles, but I feel very assured that it will get me there and back! It's a very pretty car and has great trunk and leg room! I think this car will reach 300,000 miles no problem. Quite on roads and rides very smooth

Favorite Features

The 3100 SFI engine is nearly bulletproof! Has great passing power and overall power! The interior is sleek looking and the transmission shifts smooth. Very quite and and great car for road trips or a daily commute.

Suggested Improvements

None! They made this car perfectly! The only thing that GM messed up on was the intake gasket in the engine. They made it with plastic and every single 3100 engine had to have that gasket replaced. But once you replace it with a new and improved one, that problem is solved.

Good basic car.
By Big Mac

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

We bought it new and put 136K on it before giving it to a family member. It was still sound with no creaks, bumps, or finish issues. We averaged ~27 mpg (V-6) over it's lifetime; ~30 on the interstate. A lot of it was winding 2-lane state highways, which it handled very well for it's size. I did have to get the head gaskets done (indicated by falling coolant levels) but that was covered by the (extended) warranty. I was very irritated the first time I had to do the brakes and found the rotors warped at 60K miles - too little metal to hold shape or be worth turning. I never considered rotors to be disposable. At 6'4" and 260#, I was pretty comfortable.

Favorite Features

Reliability, comfortable for a big guy, practical interior layout

Suggested Improvements

Non-disposable brake rotors - they had to be replaced every 60K mi like clockwork. I guess they've dealt with the gasket/coolant issues.