1999 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
avoid like the plague
By jrrbznsn on 11/19/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

Brakes are bad. Worn out rotors too soon - weaqring out again. GNM dealers do not do required repairs until after warranty expires. GM does not care if some one dies.

Whats up with the brake lights
By Brian&Ashley on 11/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I love this car to death, the only things I wish they would change are similar to most peoples complaints. I wish they would hide the change compartment, I had my window broken out for 1 dollar. The only other thing I would like to see fixed is the brake lights....my right brake light burns out within 20 minutes of replacing it. I've put 10 bulbs in there, and have attempted to trace the problem back to the source, and am not finding anything. Everything else has been good with this car. Very reliable, and very nice. I've only had 1 breakdown, and that was the alternator at 60000 miles, not too bad in my opinion

Tickedoffowner
By tickedoff on 10/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

In the last 4 years/32k miles I've been thru 3 sets of brake pads and rotors. I've had a hole in the wind shield wiper fluid reservoir. The temp gauge is bad. The intake maifold gasket died in Feb '03. And most recently/today I had a new resistor installed becuase the low speeds on the heater/ac were not working. Oh yeah I also have put on 4 new tires. Needless to say I will not be buying another Malibu!!!

Dear Lord!
By JaneLane504 on 10/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

Yes indded, breaks seem to be changed every 6,000 miles on the dot. Almost as much as an oil change! Living in Louisiana, and having a car with a A/C that seems to have a mind of its own, is nothing short of depressing. On hot days, it will kick off and blow out hot air, even when i turn it all the way on high. And even chevorlet dealerships cant ,and wont explain to me why it does this. Brakes have been replaced almost five times and rotors twice, the boots once. I have changed my altenator once, which wasnt that bad since i have over 100k miles..

Don't ever buy a malibu
By sgr_girl on 10/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I've had my Malibu for 3 years. It started off as a good little car for me, but not too long after I started noticing problems. My A/C had broken, no air blew out on 1 and 2 and was real high on 3. I had to get the brakes done 3 times, replaced twice and fixed on the third. Not to mention they're starting to squeak, again, luckily I'm getting a new car next week. I won't ever buy a Malibu again.

Do not buy American
By Windy City on 09/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

Just traded my car in for a '02 Toyota Camry because my Malibu had a blown gasket in the intake manifold ($600.00 to fix). Bought it with 19K miles, when traded the car had less than 30K miles. Also, it wasted a lot of gas (not good with gas prises so high), leaking coolant, car shakes went it is at a stop, rattling sound by the passanger side, every time I got my car washed had to replace the right brake light bulb (water kept getting inside the rear taillight)

okay car
By chiefret on 09/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

Bought it new. Brakes & rotors have been changed twice. They almost stop working!! AC is marginal on very hot days & has quit working while on vacation in Florida. Dash lights sometimes do not work properly. Its pretty good for trips but have misgivings about reliablity.

It's Mine!!
By rainey407 on 09/05/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I had no idea what a Malibu was until we bought ours. Bought it in February 2000 and took it to dealership for 1st time in August 2003. Short in A/C fan and something with the strut on left side. Perfect otherwise! Get lots of compliments on it. Great handling.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones!
By gp21dlr on 08/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

Either the previous owner fixed all the numerous problems other owners have experienced or I got the "CHERRY" and not the "LEMON"! I bought it used with 49.5 miles and NO(knock on wood) problems yet. It's been 14 months and 13K. My first GM car and just looking for a car to go from 'point a to B'. To me it's a basic transportation car and nothing much to brag about.

Do not buy a Malibu!
By jklapper on 08/25/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I had problems with this car from day one. I've had 5 sets of brakes, 8 sets of tires, 3 oxygen sensors, and 1 fuel ignitor replaced. In addition my A/C does not work properly. I took my car into the shop 4 times and they can't figure out what is wrong. They say it is the switch, the relay, or electrical. I filed for the Lemon Law the first year and they settled on a 5 year/75,000 warranty. So far the car hasn't cost me in money, but my time. I will never buy a Chevrolet product again, nor buy from my dealership.