1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
Bad Engine
By powell d on 02/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

the engine is advertised to last 100,000 before changing the spark plugs. don't beleive it. this engine is built on theory. the designers don't even know how to fix them. my engine has 55,000 miles and i already have to have it replaced. I change my oil and did everything GM suggest. this car is a Looser. GM built a good car with a low grade engine. Be ready to spend repair money. Rating = 3

I'm so ready to trade this in
By MoJo411 on 01/29/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought my malibu at 28K miles. The car is reliable, starts up every morning w/no problem. BUT I have replaced brakes 3 times, rotors twice, had to put new battery and altenator in, replace windshield wiper blades twice, get a/c fixed (and it still isn't working right) replaced taillights 3 times, and my a/c switch now only works on 3, 4 and 5. I have spend too much money on this car, probably more than I'll get for it at trade-in time.

malibu fun to
By gwrcurtis on 01/24/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

have had car for over a year now and have had fun driving it traveled a lot- havn't had any major problems except for normal maint. fuel milage is great

Blue Bu
By chel on 01/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

Truly a great car.

I LOVE IT
By boonesgurl on 01/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I wouldn't trade my car for anything! It runs awesome, nothing has gone bad, looks great, rides great!!

GM will have to win me back
By cec28007 on 01/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have replaced the brake pads twice, my rotors are warped, replaced the serpintine belt twice, all four tires, replaced front passenger wheel bearing , and alternator. When driving 75 mph the car shakes, and there is still a bearing noise which comes from the front passenger wheel. In the shop right now having the head intake gasket, water pump and serpentine belt replaced. 3.1 L problematic, just look around the web, you'll see. I thought I'd give GM another shot at winning me over. Let's just say my next car will be a Honda. No wonder GM is loosing so much market share to Honda and Toyota.

graet car at 72000miles
By OK HAPPY CAMPER on 01/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH THE BRAKE LIGHTS IT UNDER A 10$ FIX!!! BUY NEW BOARDS THAT HOLD THE BULBS AND DONT USE CHEAP BULBS!!! THE BRAKE PROBLEM HAS NOT HAPPENED TO ME. I HAD THEM REPLACED AT 40,000 MILES STILL GOING STRONG. I HAVE REPLACED THE ALTERNATOR ONCE AT 35,000 MILES.OVER ALL AN OK CAR FOR THE MONEY.

I love my Malibu
By jacksobm on 12/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I've only had my Malibu for 5 months but I love it! I have never had any problems with it. The brakes had to be replaced but the dealer did that since it was still under warranty. Other than that it has be a wonderful car!

Problems with Malibu
By aliall on 12/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Apparently these cars are known to have problems with their manifold intake gaskets. Ours went out at 41000 miles and will cost $1000-1200 to replace. The AC/heater fan also doesnt work on settings 1 and 2 and the seatbelts have broken. All in all a bad experience with the quality and reliability

'99 Malibu 4 years later
By Glenn Sieja on 12/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

Our Malibu has not been very reliable. Most of the problems were covered under warranty. However, poor front brake and front suspension design continue to be a problem. Fuel capacity is very small and is a huge inconvenience. Don't expect much on the trade in!