Used 1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Good Daily Driver V-6
By Brett

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

My wife bought this car when it was a year and a half old w/ 30,000 mile (Program car). It currently has 131,000 on it. Car has been suprisingly reliable. Only problems have been the brakes (replaced twice), ignition switch cyl. (PASS key/Anti- theft problem $200), intake manifold gasket leaking (well known problem w/ GM V-6's $600), A/C switch in dash panel will turn off/on while driving ($200), gas gauge is inaccurate (will read good till half tank then when turning a corner will peg out to empty). Other than these problems this has been an excellent car. Spending a $1,000 for 100,000 miles is not that bad to maintain a car that gets about 26 MPG HWY still w/ a V-6.

Decent power/MPG w/ V-6, comfort is great for being 6' 4",

GM's intake manifod design on V-6 engines (Well known for leaking), cup holder on drivers side hits my left knee, Gas Gague, Brakes, PASS key system

Okay car
By crazychemist78

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

We bought our 99 Malibu used. It handled fairly well, not at all as you would expect for its size. Since then, it has had new brakes 2x, has a perpetual coolant leak and constant electrical problems. The fuel gauge no longer works, two relays have gone out, the HVAC controller died, the blower resistor burnt out taking the blower with it. The windows work when they want to. The factory CD/cassette players no longer work. Not much power for a V6 (I could out-accelerate it in my 4cyl 5spd Kia Sephia.) Smooth ride. When the windows are rolled down hot air comes up through the floor. Have since bought a 2002 Malibu which has been a dream, so it could have just been this particular car or year.

Rides smooth. Decent gadgets. Handles much tighter than you'd expect for its size. Decent room. Nice exterior styling.

Fix the electrical problems. 4 wheel disc brakes. Most other issues seem to have been fixed by the 2002 model.

Been an excellent car
By Darrell

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

Approximately 140,000 miles on it right now and still going strong. Have only performed regular maintenance items since purchasing this car and have never had a major problem. Great mileage with the 4 cylinder and the power is good for a car this size.

Mileage is much better then my truck. Low cost of maintaining the car

Should be able to disable the automatic daytime lights

The Usual Suspects, Dont Buy
By fladad

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I have owned this since new and despite babying it, it's been a huge disappointment in reliability. Replaced brake rotors 4 times, alternator, AC wwitch panel, new radiator and just now a blown head gasket. I will sell it as soon as its fixed. GM quality is still horrible.

The ride is nice, leather seats are great,

Build quality with brake rotors and tires. Why can Toyota/Honda build engines that last 200k plus and GM cant?

Lo and behold
By nomorechevies

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car because I got a deal. I'm on this site looking for a new car and felt I owed it to anyone thinking about a Malibu to say don't do it! I was surprised to see that everyone on here has had similar problems. Head gaskets, coolant goes down without a leak, heat/AC only works on the third or fourth setting- first two burnt out, went thru wheel bearings left and right, I have put more money into this car than I paid for it! I thought I just got a lemon, apparently so did everyone else who bought it. It was comfy, pretty good on gas, and nice to drive. When it was actually running. Or not in the garage with 5 mechanics around it who couldn't pin what was wrong with it.

Roomy inside, comfy for me and my family, 6'5 boyfriend actually fit in it better than most cars.

Stop making junk, or start owning up to the obvious problems with this model. It was nice when it actually ran and between visits to garage.