1999 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
The Good & the Bad
By MWave on 09/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

The Good - The Malibu is a very fun car to drive. It handles well on the highway and gas mileage is good. The car has good excelleration especially when you need to pass another car. Interior extras are very nice. Lots of trunk space. Good sound system The Bad - Reliability. The transmission needed to be pulled at 4500 miles due to a faulty switch causing the car to switch gears too soon. After 33000 miles I have had two leaky intake manifold gaskets (coolant & oil) replaced. Seems to be going through serpentine belts too quickly (every 16,000 miles). ABS light intermittently comes on. I am glad I have an extended warranty.

The key is maintance.
By HJHJHJ on 07/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

Little noise from the engine. Run very smoothly.

I am stuck with it! :-(
By FRANKJR60 on 07/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I have experienced many of the same problems as the other folks who have commented on this site. A/C has a mind of its own. Fan speeds did not work on 1 and 2. Replaced resistor ($70) fixed the problem. Alternator died at 50K miles, no warning. I was stranded for hours. Where does the coolant disappear to? I keep adding it and I don't see any leaks anywhere. Th biggest frustration has been the serpentine belt and the belt tensioner. I have had them replaced three times in three years due to the high pitched squealing noise. No one can seem to find the problem. I haven't had the brake and tire problems that many others have had.

Over rated
By No more domestic on 05/06/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

The 99 Malibu (V6) was just ok. Very plain design with minimal extras available. I had to have the brakes replaced 4 times in five years. The engine was the best thing about the car. Not one problem. Something behind the dash rattled from day one and the dealer couldn't find it. The dash was ok, but the materials used were cheap. Delco stereo was useable, but not impressive. Resale value is horrible. It's a good car for the price, but I'm going back to imports.

malibu is just ok...it always starts?!
By paulaintacoma on 03/29/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

all in all the malibu has been an ok car..I am getting ready to trade it in soon ...have had two total brake jobs in 44,000 miles..the first one on gm as they said the rotors were faulty..the brakes still click when I drive..the ac has a mind of its own..comes off and on when it takes a notion to..that sucks. also don't believe the hype about the 100,000 mile coolant system..big lie I have had to keep topping it off with that special coolant at least every 3 months and the radiator light blinks off and on frequently..also the check engine light comes on for no apparent reason..but basically it has been reliable transportation for 5 years.

nice car
By sandra on 03/19/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I have driven this car for over three years and I have never had any problems with it.

Good car for the money
By maxlibbee on 02/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I have a 1999 Malibu LS. Had to spend $1600 on some stuff at $28,000 including brakes which annoyed me. Car has good pep, and gets clsoe to 30 mog on highway. It cathes around 22 mpg around town. I also had to replace altenator at 38k which also annoyed me. Cost another $500 at dealer. I have two teenagers, I have taught to drive using this car. It has been fine

CHEVY........MAYBE
By Annette Carey on 02/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

1999 - Had problems in the beginning....new brakes, new suspension and problems with the fuel pump. Had the extended warranty so no problem. Got fixed no charge. The paint job is one to be improved. Brush up against and scratch. Over all, since all problems were fixed runs like a champ. Had for 5 years and now giving to my teenage son. Always kept maintenace up....a good thing. Hopefully...things have improved and would purchase again if so.

happy to sad in 5 mins.
By once happy on 02/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

This was what I thought was a great car. Only owned for 1 year and had NO problems other than break repair and ABS sensor. But.... all of a sudden knocking... rod, need new engine, intake gasket leaking, all bad news... 5000 to repair or trade. Three weeks ago I would have bought another... today it would be difficult to get me into the chevy dealership...going back to the Taurus! The Malibu was "FUN" while it lasted!

Bad Engine
By powell d on 02/10/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

the engine is advertised to last 100,000 before changing the spark plugs. don't beleive it. this engine is built on theory. the designers don't even know how to fix them. my engine has 55,000 miles and i already have to have it replaced. I change my oil and did everything GM suggest. this car is a Looser. GM built a good car with a low grade engine. Be ready to spend repair money. Rating = 3