Used 1999 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Ol' Mally
By carluver

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

Got this car brand new. currently has 140k mileage. Great acceleation with the v6! Very roomy, great car for the price! Have had some problems as it's gotten older like the fans only work on high levels, ac turns on and off front speakers got blown out due to eccesive use. Recently replaced the alternator. Had one coolant leak but overall, it has been very good to me

The v6, nice ride, and reliable

Better ac system

1999 Malibu
By Lacy

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

Bought mine used 2 years ago. I am coming up on 100,000 miles and have had no serious problems yet. The brakes are going to need to be changed soon (now) and I have replaced one headlight bulb and a Serpentine belt that was on there when I bought it and snapped because It was too small in the first place. I like that it is so roomy but I think the design is quite ugly. I have a feeling that I will be running into a ton of problems in a few thousand more miles, despite the fact that I take excellent care of the car. *crosses fingers*

Very spacious, decent gas mileage

I have read a TON of reviews about this car and many people insist on AFTER MARKET BRAKES because there is a flaw in the design that causes them to wear quite often. Also, could be prettier.

So Sorry Now
By So Sad

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I purchased my 1999 Malibu used. It was a toss up between a Malibu and an Alero. I should have gone with the Alero. The first three years were great. These last three years have been nothing but repair after repair. I have maxed out credit cards and my Malibu is still not fixed. It has been sitting in my garage since September of 2007. I don't dare drive it. I can not be guaranteed that it will start or that it will not stall while I am driving, as it has done on a number of occasions. I can't afford to have my mechanic try to fix what is wrong, even though it should be fixed by now after all the money he has charged me. He can't figure it out either.

I haven't been able to drive my Malibu for many months so I have no favorite features.

GM must take ownership of all the mechanical problems with the Malibus and help us poor Mailbu owners get the problems fixed for free. We have dished out enough money for repairs and the cars still don't run. I sure miss my 1989 Subarau.

Lemon
By CarGuy

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

This was my first car ever, and what a mistake it was! I bought it for pretty cheap, but the repairs got me. I've had to put in a new intake manifold, new heater, new fuel injector, new alternator, and most recently a new transmission, plus a ton of little things. I bought the car for $3000, and I have put $2500 dollars into it in under 2 years! The car itself isn't to bad when it's running.

The overall design of the interior is very functional and pretty comfortable. It had good pick up, until the transmission crapped out.

Make it more reliable, every 3100 engine will need a new intake sometime ($700), Chevy should work on fixing that problem for future models.

Beware
By dave

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

Replaced manifold gaskets twice due to coolant leaks - understand a class action suit is being considered. Alternator replaced. Engine light signals camshaft clearance issue. Rust under the gas cap - mentioned by other 1998-2000 Malibu owners. Ask aftermarket companies what some of the best selling brake rotors and struts fit.

Simple design, handles well and is comfortable.

GM needs to acknowledge the coolant/gasket problem. They changed their gasket designs but are not willing to fully compensate owners for the expensive repairs.