1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:
My Malibu
By Aimee on 03/15/06 07:09 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I love my Malibu. I have fun driving it and have had no problems other than normal wear and tear with this car. Everything on the car works, the sound system (stock) is very good. This is only the second used vehicle I have purchased that I have been extremely satisfied with.

Laundy list
By mali"blue" on 03/10/06 22:30 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

No probs except a loose nut in the drivers side door (warranty). As soon as I hit 37,000 miles, the O2 sensor went out ($250). Since then I've gone through 3 gas caps. The rotors and brakes were replaced at 40K, followed soon by the tires. Check engine light became a daily feature. In 2003, manifold and intake gasket went bad along with ignition coils - that was a grand. Right wheel hub bearing and A/C problem resulted in $700 bill in early 2004. Temp control switch then stopped working on 1&2. Diagnosed with weak air flow sensor. Coolant began leaking again. Alternator died ($295 with tow). Radiator hoses and coolant ($75) replaced after leak progressed. Cannot wait to trade in.

Decent Car
By Decent Car on 09/09/05 13:24 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

Replaced brakes four times in five years. Now have 140,000 miles still mostly reliable. Have had problems with drain on electrical system. Brand new battery will die if car is not started every day. AC switches off and on until car is warmed up. Have replaced water pump. Serpentine belt tensioner fell off while driving when car hit 139,000. I have always done my maintenance so it has been mostly reliable. Now that mileage has gotten high it is time to get a new car.

99 MALIBU
By DP on 08/25/05 08:26 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Overall a very enjoyable ride and fun to drive. Comfortable for long trips. Have needed major engine work due to head gasket failure @ 105,000 miles along with other repairs. CD player has broken twice without extensive use. Passing it along to my child for use at college, so it will stay in the family a bit longer, and replacing it with a new Malibu

Wouldnt buy a Chevrolet
By Denise Cagle on 08/10/05 10:35 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Malibu 3 years ago. I have not been happy at all. The first 2 weeks I had a flat tire. The next 3 months I broke down at a dealership and had to get an alternator and battery. Cost $587.00. I have had problems after problems. I just put 3 gaskets on in Feb of this year because I broke down on the road and the car overheated. I had someone that could do the work. NOT! Now 6 months later I have to get 3 new gaskets put on as the mechanic said he could fix it. That was $580.00 in February of 2005 and now I need new gaskets for $470.00. I just put on 2 new tires and had a vacuum leak because of these 3 gaskets. I spent $650.00 in July 2005. At the dealer they want to sell me a new car.

Never own another one
By Lee on 07/09/05 00:48 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new. Constant brake problems. Some electrical problems. Replaced the front wheel bearings. Fuel gauge went crazy at around 80,000 miles. Very uncomfortable for a taller person.

OK! Wouldn't buy again!
By MJB on 06/30/05 13:47 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

My Malibu has experienced all of the problems that are outlined below! I found out today that a leaking water pump has caused a lot of my issues with the serpentine belt and belt pulley wheels going bad not to mention the dissapearing coolant. My 1&2 fan speeds don't work either, I will have to try the resistor fix! Aside from these nagging issues the car is OK, but I would likely buy a more reliable car next time!

Mixed bag
By Scott Libbee on 04/17/05 19:37 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Now have 70k on car. Had to replace brakes and rotors at 30k and 60k. Intake maifold gasket rplaced at 30k. Altenator replaced at 36k. GM says the car can go 100k between tune-ups, but check engine light came on at 69k. Complete tune-up required at that point. Water pump relaced at 68k. Original Firestones were crappy.

Time to Get Rid of It
By Smokey on 02/15/05 13:51 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

My experience with my '99 Malibu 3.1L hasn't been a good one. I bought it used at 94,000 miles which was probably my first mistake. At first the car was fine and enjoyable to drive. However, over time the car showed its weaknesses. The first problem I had was with the ignition and a leak in the intake manifold gasket. The ignition froze up, had to have it replaced as well as the gasket. Months later I am dealing with a "fix or die" problem, three problems actually. The first two are the head gasket and intake manifold gasket, they're both leaking, again. Worst of all the torque converter is going. I want to rid myself of this car and hopefully get an Impala.

The Good & the Bad
By MWave on 09/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

The Good - The Malibu is a very fun car to drive. It handles well on the highway and gas mileage is good. The car has good excelleration especially when you need to pass another car. Interior extras are very nice. Lots of trunk space. Good sound system The Bad - Reliability. The transmission needed to be pulled at 4500 miles due to a faulty switch causing the car to switch gears too soon. After 33000 miles I have had two leaky intake manifold gaskets (coolant & oil) replaced. Seems to be going through serpentine belts too quickly (every 16,000 miles). ABS light intermittently comes on. I am glad I have an extended warranty.